• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Masai is trading high end players -- we're trying to trade a bunch of mid ass players with fat contracts.  DJ is the only exception but his impact doesn't feel high for a guard, even though he's talented.  He's like a solid, but not elite, third option on a contender.

Capela contract as well as Dre was fine at the time. The problem is the 2nd apron era basically means Clint and Dre should be in MLE range. But this didn't exist till recently. 2nd apron wasn't a thing. Just LT. 

Guys like Bey gonna feel it when teams only want to give them 8-10 million. Grimes asking for 20+ million, who's gonna give them that in this era. Boston showed everyone the blueprint. Pay the stars. The role players need to make MLE range max.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Capela contract as well as Dre was fine at the time. The problem is the 2nd apron era basically means Clint and Dre should be in MLE range. But this didn't exist till recently. 2nd apron wasn't a thing. Just LT. 

Guys like Bey gonna feel it when teams only want to give them 8-10 million. Grimes asking for 20+ million, who's gonna give them that in this era. Boston showed everyone the blueprint. Pay the stars. The role players need to make MLE range max.

You right on that.. we need to dump all these mid contracts, find 1-2 more stars to pair with JJ and Trae and be rid of the past: https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bos/sort/salary/dir/asc/boston-celtics

Honestly if they can flip:

Bogi + Hunter + Capela + DJM for 1-2 stars thats the play.

No need to rebuild

Edited by theheroatl
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Agree with you 100% we are going to be victim to the new CBA more than most teams because we have a bunch of guys in the old $15-25M range which is about to get gutted.  And we traded away picks in a time I personally believe they are more valuable now.  New CBA is going to gut the NBA player "middle class" which is what we're stuck on right now: Dre, Bogi, CC, OO...

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Honestly if they can flip:

Bogi + Hunter + Capela + DJM for 1-2 stars thats the play.

Who is going to trade stars for mid talent on bloated contracts?  Only a rebuilding team that would accept lots of picks in the transaction that we don't even have to give out.  So this is a pipe dream.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Agree with you 100% we are going to be victim to the new CBA more than most teams because we have a bunch of guys in the old $15-25M range which is about to get gutted.  And we traded away picks in a time I personally believe they are more valuable now.  New CBA is going to gut the NBA player "middle class" which is what we're stuck on right now: Dre, Bogi, CC, OO...

Who is going to trade stars for mid talent on bloated contracts?  Only a rebuilding team that would accept lots of picks in the transaction that we don't even have to give out.  So this is a pipe dream.

OO contract is the new role player high end under the 2nd apron. 

Dre and Capela are fine under the old system but overpaid under the new one. 

Capela is probably the most expendable as he's the one on the decline. Dre is still Dre. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

If you start trading guys for picks and expirings you do.

You also are most likely going to suck and be in the lottery next year and for a while.  Teams that tear down and take picks and expiring do it so they can tank.  We can't tank so we would have to buck the trend and use the picks to bring in an upgrade in talent or at least better fitting talent.  I think that is easier to do trading player for player than it is converting players into picks and then picks into players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

My guess would be they want money to spend in free agency and picks to trade if a star becomes available.

Risky...

They are not going to trade for any star.   Its called salary dumping.   

5 hours ago, shakes said:

oh so when you said "historically" what you really meant was last couple years.  🙄

Meanwhile, when looking at the two franchises over the last 30 years we see that ATL has won the division 3x w/ zero trips to the NBA finals whereas Pacers have won their divsion 6x with a trip to the NBA finals.

Poor job moving the goalposts on your part.

Brah, I most likely been watching these clowns play basketball since before you were born.  WHAT goalposts?  Its a sham basketball operation.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

You also are most likely going to suck and be in the lottery next year and for a while.  Teams that tear down and take picks and expiring do it so they can tank.  We can't tank so we would have to buck the trend and use the picks to bring in an upgrade in talent or at least better fitting talent.  I think that is easier to do trading player for player than it is converting players into picks and then picks into players.

I don’t disagree. We’re in a very perilous spot right now.

But if you’re not getting good value in trades for guys like Cap or Dre, what else do you do?

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Atlanta is looking for at least two first-round picks, according to The Ringer. The Hawks are not looking to take back salary past this season, league sources told HoopsHype.

What are we doing?

I just think we don't want to take back what we would consider bad salary for multiple years.

2 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong on this, but I don't trust reports concerning the Hawks from The Ringer.

It's always wrong. He ain't the only place I've heard this from but what I gathered is Atlanta wants another star but one that fits around Trae and JJ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Brah, I most likely been watching these clowns play basketball since before you were born.  WHAT goalposts?  Its a sham basketball operation.

lol fair enough.

You must be old cause I'm pretty old myself.

• Premium Member

These other markets want to see their teams rob the Hawks.  There is no way a player of Murray's caliber, under team control for a few years, and at that salary number should be attracting these kind of hospital mop offers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2