• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The mismanagement of assets is truly astounding to me. DJM was sunk cost as soon as you traded for him.  Even with depreciation, you mean to tell me the best we could do is essential another addition of a mediocre player and future first?

Explain to me like I'm 10, why the summer will make other teams decide to make us a good deal and how this new assortment of assets will magically get you KAT or Zion per se.  I don't see it.

I can see if it for KAT in what would ultimately be a salary dump move, but it would depend on them not making noise in the playoffs.  I think there's a massive unknown in all of these moves which is what the financials look like for each team.  It might be untenable financially for a small market team like Minny to not only forgo the luxury tax payment (~$15M) but also pay the higher salary and tax associated with going over the second apron.  

I don't understand why the Pels would move Zion unless he's specifically requesting out.  They're in a healthy spot with regard to cap space going into next season, with Zion and Ingram both normal maxes (25%), CJ on a declining contract, solid deals in place like Herb Jones / Nance, and a handful of good rookie scale deals.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I think the Hawks' calculus will be a '24 lottery pick, the Lakers' '29 unprotected first and likely a player or two is what will get them a better fit next to Trae and Jalen.

Ignoring the fact that this seems like a down lottery class, how would any team being discussed end up with a lottery pick?  LA, NY, MIL, etc. are all making the playoffs this year and don't own lottery picks.  (For the Lakers, even if they missed the playoffs NO would swap with them.)

Question:  If you were going into a fight against two or more people, which one Hawk player would you wish to have on your side?  This has nothing to do with his NBA ability.  

Your answer might be a good reason for some other NBA team to secretly want this player!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ignoring the fact that this seems like a down lottery class, how would any team being discussed end up with a lottery pick?  LA, NY, MIL, etc. are all making the playoffs this year and don't own lottery picks.  (For the Lakers, even if they missed the playoffs NO would swap with them.)

I was referring to the Hawks' pick being in the lottery.

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't see it.  Reading the tea leaves a bit here, but my take on this situation with the Lakers is:

1. DJ asked out.  He wants to go to LA -- not surprising considering he has Klutch representation
  2. Hawks said if we're trading you, we want 2 firsts and a quality rotation player
  3. Lakers said best we can do is Dlo, Rui, and a first
  4. Hawks said Dlo doesn't work, find someone to take Dlo and give us a useful rotation player and we'll consider it
  5. Lakers/Klutch scrambling to make something work

In reality, no one wants Dlo and there likely isn't a good framework there -- it's just that Lakers want Murray and Murray wants to be a Laker.  But it doesn't make sense for us and isn't likely to happen.  I expect a trade somewhere other than LA, or an LA trade that includes Reaves/Rui/1st, or no trade at all before the deadline.

DJM did ask out but I never heard any chatter that he gave them a list of preferred destinations. The Lakers connection is obvious one and would be a top of his list Id imagine but don't think he gave them spots. 

• Like 1

I guess they don’t wanna lose me as a fan. I swear if we get DLo I walk 🚶🏿‍♂️ 

We need a young big who’s not getting a chance or something. What happened to that kid in Indy Jackson? Wouldn’t mind him coming back that dude can 🏀.. and more tho.. more from other teams DJ is worth a lot we need way more ..

IMG_2746.jpeg

IMG_2747.jpeg

Is Jackson gonna get burn now with Pascal? They got Walker too! And 🥽 Smith wtf that’s 4 PF’s!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, deester11 said:

The mismanagement of assets is truly astounding to me. DJM was sunk cost as soon as you traded for him.  Even with depreciation, you mean to tell me the best we could do is essential another addition of a mediocre player and future first?

Explain to me like I'm 10, why the summer will make other teams decide to make us a good deal and how this new assortment of assets will magically get you KAT or Zion per se.  I don't see it.

I think the idea is right now we don’t have the picks and rookie contract players to acquire someone like Zion.  We can unload our current roster and swap expensive role players for a few picks, etc.  

What many teams want in a trade is multiple first round picks which we need to get more to be a player in the market for KAT/Zion.  Look up every trade for allstar level talent and you’ll find a number of picks involved in the return.  

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

DJM did ask out but I never heard any chatter that he gave them a list of preferred destinations. The Lakers connection is obvious one and would be a top of his list Id imagine but don't think he gave them spots. 

Suspicious of any rumor involving the Lakers.  They are a top clicks for cash team.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

@AHF Kentucky dude how do you like him? I saw him against us and he dominated. Seen him rarely against other squads but he’s a live big with bounce. Indy has too many PF’s

Siak

Jackson

🥽 

IJack

He is extremely athletic and longer than tall.  Was pretty raw at UK so more of a project coming out of school.  I haven't watched him more than a couple of times a year in Indy but know he has been a lower minute guy in their rotation.  His numbers are very consistent year to year so there hasn't been a big breakout and it looks like he still has no range.  Someone who can give you some blocks and rebounds in limited minutes so a useful rotation player.  Not sure he will ever be a starter but he is younger than Lundy so hopefully he has some untapped upside he can eventually realize.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I think the idea is right now we don’t have the picks and rookie contract players to acquire someone like Zion.  We can unload our current roster and swap expensive role players for a few picks, etc.  

What many teams want in a trade is multiple first round picks which we need to get more to be a player in the market for KAT/Zion.  Look up every trade for allstar level talent and you’ll find a number of picks involved in the return.  

I think this has to be the plan if you want to succeed and you are dealing Dejounte mostly for picks.  You can't sit on them and turn them into players and hope that will work.  You need to consolidate them and send them out for someone who can step in and be a big upgrade to our frontcourt. 

Part of the challenge in taking this path that I could see in getting a role player + picks is the salary side of things, though.  You will likely need to match salaries and you'll have fewer people you can include in the deal if you trade Murray for picks now and then try to swing the trade in the summer.  It could be easier to get someone like Zion or KAT in a situation where Murray is part of the deal directly and he will count as outgoing salary from the Atlanta side.  I'll grant that I'm no expert on the cap piece, though, and so I'll yield that up to smarter posters.

• Like 2

The Warriors??? That’s new..

Murray has been the subject to trade rumors for several weeks and the Hawks had reportedlyentered the "exploratory phase" of moving the guard last week. He has been linked to the Lakers as well as the New York Knicks, Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors and Brooklyn Nets. He has even been linked to the San Antonio Spurs, who dealt him to Atlanta ahead of the 2022-23 season.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The Warriors??? That’s new..

Murray has been the subject to trade rumors for several weeks and the Hawks had reportedlyentered the "exploratory phase" of moving the guard last week. He has been linked to the Lakers as well as the New York Knicks, Milwaukee Bucks, Golden State Warriors and Brooklyn Nets. He has even been linked to the San Antonio Spurs, who dealt him to Atlanta ahead of the 2022-23 season.

Just stuff being thrown at a wall hoping it sticks.   Most of these reporters don't know jack about what's going on, click bait.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Sourced:

Lakers are the leaders in the clubhouse for DJM followed by the Knicks. Brooklyn might be the third team involved for D LO with hawks getting Dinshittie expiring which funny enough they might also move to a fourth team for a different player and expiring...

Unsourced:

Wouldn't shock me if they combine all these picks and assets into Zion in the summer.

All of that is shitty. 

Also, I'd take everything with the Lakers or any other big market team with a grain of salt.

It does not seem to make sense to send Murray out before the trade deadline unless they have already agreed to framework to trade for a "star" player in the offseason.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I feel a little different about the Falcons and Belichick than you.  Arthur Smith has done nothing but hire coordinators that every single one has been a failure.  I like Harbaugh better, but I'll take Belichick who has been there and done it for many years.  It may not work out but at least it's a step up from hiring media hyped assistants that are not head coach material.  

"Blank" lol

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ressler is trying to catch lightning in a bottle similar to the ECF run where we got there under the LT. 

The overwhelming key to that run was that our lead player was still on his rookie deal. That is an executive and coaching miracle of sorts, Schlenk, Nate, and Trae get loads of credit from me for that.  It’s why Orlando, Indy, and Minnesota have taken huge leaps: their best players are still on rookie deals leaving more valuable players fighting for minutes on their teams.  One could make a case that Chet is just as impactful as SGA, them OKC dudes have all out warfare for minutes.

But when you pay $40 mil per for the smallest player in the league who’s shooting metrics are mediocre or near-worst on his own team (let alone the league) there lies the crux of the Hawks’  issues.  The first round pick squandering on DJ takes second-place.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't see it.  Reading the tea leaves a bit here, but my take on this situation with the Lakers is:

1. DJ asked out.  He wants to go to LA -- not surprising considering he has Klutch representation
  2. Hawks said if we're trading you, we want 2 firsts and a quality rotation player
  3. Lakers said best we can do is Dlo, Rui, and a first
  4. Hawks said Dlo doesn't work, find someone to take Dlo and give us a useful rotation player and we'll consider it
  5. Lakers/Klutch scrambling to make something work

In reality, no one wants Dlo and there likely isn't a good framework there -- it's just that Lakers want Murray and Murray wants to be a Laker.  But it doesn't make sense for us and isn't likely to happen.  I expect a trade somewhere other than LA, or an LA trade that includes Reaves/Rui/1st, or no trade at all before the deadline.

This is my read too

• Like 1