• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

re the Hawks nearing a rebuild ?

FL_BRYANT

With this roster how do the Hawks escape the middle of the pack. I still believe the Hawks jumped the gun on their rebuild after their appearance in the ECF. We will continue to have some very good wins but they will be far and in between.      The Hawks have fallen way behind the elites of the east coast and also the second tier teams like the Knicks,Pacers and Cleveland and an up and coming Orlando team.

Short of some teams losing their mind and commiting malpractice by trading us Embid, Jokic  and another hjgh level front court player we are what we are , a midlevel 500 team. One player isn't going to fix this team. 

Quin can only do so much. My feeling is the Hawks will become desperate and pressured  by Trae to make a move that will eventually push us further behind the eight ball.

I truly fear the  inexperienced front office is taken advantaged of by some saavy Gm and make an ill advised deal that takes us years to over come.

The worst position to be in the NBA is stuck in the middle thinking your better than you are. I see no clear cut way as constructed for the Hawks to get significantly better and  capable of challenging for the Eastern conference finals no less than a championship.

So spare me the hopeless trades scenarios that have no chance of happening. We are two elite ballplayers away from becoming a team with a chance of competing.

Question is, will we turn this around before Trae demands a trade ?

It's definitely tricky.  JC's TPE is an asset that could come into play. It's a way for us to add something of significance without giving up anything.  Just like Utah got Collins for a 2nd round pick.  

Even though Murray signed a killer deal, he is our best asset outside of Trae.  Really question the fit with Trae lasting 4 years.  Murray could fetch a player that is a better fit with Trae and then you have Jalen develop into more of a monster. 

Otherwise we're needing to hit on a non-lottery draft pick or some other miracle.    

• Premium Member

Ressler would fire the entire Hawks basketball operations before he did a rebuild like this. 

Team needs defense on the perimeter. An elite offensive center would be wonderful but there's no way the Twolves are trading KAT after their start this season. Jokic and Embiid was not options. I always thought JV from the Pels would be a sneaky good pickup for this but that's not moving the needle for this team.

We need to either play AJ or flip him for an upgrade in the front court. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Simple answer: “no.”

We don’t have our own picks for the next several years so there is no reason to tank.  We are also too good and our home attendance is too strong to rebuild right now.  The fans would revolt and longterm damage the brand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Sometimes I think people forget what a rebuild actually looks like and don't realize how fortunate our recent one lasted as short as it did.  I have no idea why people don't realize a "rebuild" is normally closer to what DET is doing.  Who's signing up for that? 

Exactly. We are lucky Schlenk only rebuilt for 3 years. Remember the late 90s and almost the entire 2000s? Yeah - that's what Orlando is finally coming out of after trading DH 10+ years ago and DET is still in, as you say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, warcore said:

Exactly. We are lucky Schlenk only rebuilt for 3 years. Remember the late 90s and almost the entire 2000s? Yeah - that's what Orlando is finally coming out of after trading DH 10+ years ago and DET is still in, as you say. 

And remember how the can't miss, hotshot draft pick last year was the Scoot guy?  Now they're talking about that dude needing to learn how to play basketball.  That's what people want?  Folks gaga over Wemby and even his alleged generational a** won't contribute to winning for 4-5 years and that's with the probable greatest coach out there.

I'm done with all the running tankathon lotto simulators and getting excited about unprovens.  Heyul, what are our latest lotto picks doing rn?  One could be overseas before his rookie deal is done (Reddish) and most of us can't wait to get rid of the other (Hunter).

That's what folks want?  Smh 

• Thanks 3

Definitely don't want to rebuild.  Teams go from middle of the pack to top 4 all the time, many times a team is one or 2 moves away.  

Rebuilding is a bad decision IMO.  What if that next young star you draft only ends up as a top 20-25 player?  Then you are middle of the pack again, but it takes 5 years to find out the true ceiling of many of these players.  It's so hard to get a top 5 player it's not worth it.  Now if we were the 2022 Blazers where our stars are in their mid 30s, then yes I would rebuild.

• Like 1

Depends on how rebuild is thought of.  Flush everything and start over?  Draft a lot of great players?  Hawks can't really do the draft thing.  Traded away many of our future draft picks.

What is really needed?  Is there any reasonable way to trade for what is needed?  It takes two to tango!

🏀

Funny how people are upset about the idea of rebuild but gave no ideas on how the Hawks get out of their average middle of the road mediocracy they are stuck in . One person suggested the Hawks are not far from a championship. I guess he was talking about the G league. I'm not talking about tanking but I am suggesting that they overhaul this roster. The Hawks didn't have one allstar last year. Trae and Murray may be the only ballplayers we have above average. Maybe JJ too. Capela,Hunter,Bey,OO,AJ, and Matthews are role players. The rest of the roster doesn't count.  I cheer for the Hawks but that doesn't mean that I close my eyes to the reality that this team isn't very good. If the Hawks remain a 500 team Atlanta will stop attending games. The Hawks better figure this out soon before this falls apart.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Funny how people are upset about the idea of rebuild but gave no ideas on how the Hawks get out of their average middle of the road mediocracy they are stuck in . One person suggested the Hawks are not far from a championship. I guess he was talking about the G league. I'm not talking about tanking but I am suggesting that they overhaul this roster. The Hawks didn't have one allstar last year. Trae and Murray may be the only ballplayers we have above average. Maybe JJ too. Capela,Hunter,Bey,OO,AJ, and Matthews are role players. The rest of the roster doesn't count.  I cheer for the Hawks but that doesn't mean that I close my eyes to the reality that this team isn't very good. If the Hawks remain a 500 team Atlanta will stop attending games. The Hawks better figure this out soon before this falls apart.

Well, if you are going to quote me, quote me correctly.  I said we are not far from the championship level.   What do I mean.  We haven't missed the playoffs in what 5 years...  You know G-League level teams don't make the playin...  not to mention the playoffs.  We have what some considers one of the best coaches in the game. G-League level teams don't have good coaching.  We have 2 allstar level players and one of them is an All NBA level player.  Trae is possibly the best player to ever put on an Atlanta Hawks Jersey. We have young players with loads of potential. 

This is the thing...  We are an impatient fanbase.  Our turn around happens with the maturity of this team.  I hear all these proposals for Siakam.  The truth is that JJ may be a better PF than Siakam (this year) and waiting in the wings is Gueye. 

Now the fast track to getting to that championship level is a trade of Hunter and OO either figuring it out or being used as a trade piece to bring us a better player. 

The slow track is waiting to see what they can gain from time with Snyder's system. 

We are early in the first year of a genius coach.   In his first year with Utah, he went 38 and 44. 

Popp's first season with San Antonio.. he went 17 and 47. 

Spoelstra's first season with the heat he was 43 and 39. 

Sometimes, Genius coaches take time. 

A plan is to find a fill in for JJ who could help provide some rebounding... and wait for JJ to come back.   Maybe we even allow OO to start at the 4 and play Bruno some at the BU 5. 

But to lose our heads and go start over makes no sense. 

• Like 1

Patience. You'll be in your grave before this team sniffs anything close to a championship. I don't dislike the backcourt but i'm not going to over rate them either. As for the rest of the team they are average role players. The only ones who think the Hawks have a future with this team live in Atlanta. No one really takes this team seriously. This is a 500 level team and has been for years. I  like Q but I think your reaching if your trying to compare him to Spo,or Popp.  The only thing potential will get you is fired just like Bruno will if you play him. 

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Patience. You'll be in your grave before this team sniffs anything close to a championship. I don't dislike the backcourt but i'm not going to over rate them either. As for the rest of the team they are average role players. The only ones who think the Hawks have a future with this team live in Atlanta. No one really takes this team seriously. This is a 500 level team and has been for years. I  like Q but I think your reaching if your trying to compare him to Spo,or Popp.  The only thing potential will get you is fired just like Bruno will if you play him. 

Well, again...  JJ is potential being shown.   and you're right.. everybody else is a role player ... but when was that ever a bad thing?  Everybody ought to know their role.   I have seen a team full of role players with no star win 60 games and make it to the ECF.

I think there's great possibilities for us.. and yep, it may require 1 player to be added... But not a total rebuild....  That's just crazy talk. 

As far as Quin vs. Spo and Pop...

Pop without Duncan, Robinson, or Manu... doesn't look like Pop anymore.   He looks like another old man trying to get lucky in the lottery.

Spo is a great coach... no doubt. 

image.png

58.9% winning percent.  That's great.

Quin....

image.png

57.9% winning percent...  HMM...

You know Quin never coached Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.  Spoe had those guys for three seasons.    Quin never had a star on the level of DWade...  Spoe had him for damn near 13 Seasons.   And you said " I think your reaching if your trying to compare him to Spo"    With the comparison... I may come away saying that as a coach...  He may be better than Spo... and Pop. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ouch! 

Monty is a great coach.   The fact of the matter is that the Pistons have a lot of places that need to be fixed.   They thing that they got right so far is PG and C and Coach.  Still they are the type of team to get Bogdanovich back and start winning.... and the GM will trade him so that they can get another bite at the Draft. 

28 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Monty is a great coach.   The fact of the matter is that the Pistons have a lot of places that need to be fixed.   They thing that they got right so far is PG and C and Coach.  Still they are the type of team to get Bogdanovich back and start winning.... and the GM will trade him so that they can get another bite at the Draft.

Many times you and I arent far off from each other.  But there's a lot here i disagree with.

The bolded is way strong, imho.  Monti is fine but far from great.

That team is good enough to eek out a win and should be far better than what they are.

DET hasn't figured out really any positions other than C and a wing.  Not sure if Ausar lands at 3 or 4 but he's a dude.  Cunningham is not a pg and I'm afraid they're gonna waste more years before they admit it.

Bogdano will help them win a few games when he returns but they're gonna suck either way.  Perpetual lotto land awaits the Pistons. 

• Thanks 3