• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

30 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I like Edey but it would be nuts to take him #1 especially with Sarr right there. 

52 minutes ago, deester11 said:

And if I'm the Hawks, fear of Edey at 1 wouldn't let me take him.  The vehemently argumentative takes for him at one are interesting. He went from early second round, to late first, to lottery and now some want him at one? Interesting.  

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

A 10 mpg sub with the top pick.  Excellent choice.  

It has nothing to do with fear.  It has everything to do with him not being a modern big.  

Weaknesses profile on Sarr

Weaknesses: Solid wiry strength, but appears that he will never be an imposing athlete from a strength standpoint … Questionable whether he develops into a high level scorer at the NBA level … While he does take threes, he doesn’t make many … Consistently a sub-30% three point shooter. The hope is that he develops in this area and make it a more reliable part of his game, given his potential as a face-up threat … His release from three looks decent, albeit very slow (in setting his feet and releasing the ball)… So far is much further along defensively than offensively… Has real potential as a defensive anchor — is he vocal enough and does he have the smarts to read an offense and lead his defense like a free safety?… Not currently a standout passer nor playmaker by any means… While he can get to the rim and finish, he can be out of control when stopping short of the rim for a pull up jumper, it does not look clean and does not get the best results

Reminder, he was all second team in the G-League. He wasn't 1st team G-League but 2nd.  That is not a top 5 pick in anyone's book, more or less the #1 overall pick.  There are serious concerns in his weaknesses. He looks to be very average on offense with "potential" on defense but also not a sure thing.

43 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Weaknesses profile on Sarr

Weaknesses: Solid wiry strength, but appears that he will never be an imposing athlete from a strength standpoint … Questionable whether he develops into a high level scorer at the NBA level … While he does take threes, he doesn’t make many … Consistently a sub-30% three point shooter. The hope is that he develops in this area and make it a more reliable part of his game, given his potential as a face-up threat … His release from three looks decent, albeit very slow (in setting his feet and releasing the ball)… So far is much further along defensively than offensively… Has real potential as a defensive anchor — is he vocal enough and does he have the smarts to read an offense and lead his defense like a free safety?… Not currently a standout passer nor playmaker by any means… While he can get to the rim and finish, he can be out of control when stopping short of the rim for a pull up jumper, it does not look clean and does not get the best results

Reminder, he was all second team in the G-League. He wasn't 1st team G-League but 2nd.  That is not a top 5 pick in anyone's book, more or less the #1 overall pick.  There are serious concerns in his weaknesses. He looks to be very average on offense with "potential" on defense but also not a sure thing.

Who wrote that?  

(3) Alex Sarr: The (un)disputed Number One (noceilingsnba.com)

39 minutes ago, Afro said:

There has been way too much "Edey at 1" talk popping up the last couple of days. 

What are we even doing here??? 

Effectively trying to regress the game back to the stone ages.  

Decided to sign in here for the first time in a bit, having read some of the stuff about Edey.

I'd probably take him somewhere between 10-15, there's no way I'd take him 1st. 

To me, if you're dreaming on him a bit, maybe he's Yao Ming with a workable jumper considering how he shoots free throws (although Ming was a pretty good free throw shooter with me taking a look). I'm not 100% sure that works in the NBA today, but considering how productive he was in college, he'll be going mid-first round.

There really isn't any chance he's discussed at all by the Hawks though.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Decided to sign in here for the first time in a bit, having read some of the stuff about Edey.

I'd probably take him somewhere between 10-15, there's no way I'd take him 1st. 

To me, if you're dreaming on him a bit, maybe he's Yao Ming with a workable jumper considering how he shoots free throws (although Ming was a pretty good free throw shooter with me taking a look). I'm not 100% sure that works in the NBA today, but considering how productive he was in college, he'll be going mid-first round.

There really isn't any chance he's discussed at all by the Hawks though.

Great post and agreed.

The Ming comp is very relative. And there is a reason he lasted only 8 seasons. This is even before the fame evolved to the perimeter. He was damn near obsolete then.

Can he be physically imposing? Sure, but there is so much more to the game. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We're the only fanbase even entertaining this idea.  Like, do people think they're seeing something that literally no one else is?

I'm convinced this is 'find the next Jokic' fever.  Remember all the 'next' Jordan's from the late 90's and 00's?  Yeah, me neither. 

Go do a poll and you'll see the fan base collectively isn't entertaining this idea.  There are a few voices advocating for Edey or Holland or someone else but collectively this is a landslide.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Go do a poll and you'll see the fan base collectively isn't entertaining this idea.  There are a few voices advocating for Edey or Holland or someone else but collectively this is a landslide.

All voices of reason. Glad to count myself amongst them 😂😂😂.  Let's dance!IMG_4098.gif.28c5fdebbc713bbe33799b4c9c74553b.gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

And I believe we're in a take receipts and revisit this in 2 years scenario. I don't see anyone in this class worth the #1 pick in any other year's draft so the question for me is to trade down and take your chance with the seemingly most impactful player at that level.  

there is a proposal out there about trading 1, clint to San Antonio (pass through) for #8 and other future firsts (1 is our pick back). I'd consider that and take Edey at 8.

The 1st year salary commitment for the #1 pick this year is $10.5 million. I'm not sure I can commit that salary to a player who is an obvious crap shoot. If you have to, the highest floor to me is Edey. I have to look at it like that. There is no Antman, no Luka, no Wemby, no Embiid in this year's draft. There is no sure thing. I'm not sure I can drop $10.5 million on Sarr as a 3rd string center and hope he develops.

49 minutes ago, KB21 said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/alexandre-sarr/#:~:text=Plays with excellent aggressiveness …,and has defensive anchor potential …

Trying to be consistent. Its the site I've used with each comparison.

I would like to point out a few things. The writer of the article you linked above is a scout for FIBA. He will have international bias. The same site (noceilingsnba.com) is very amateurish in design and their latest mock has Edey dropping all the way to the Celtics at 30. There is no shot in hell that happens. It doesn't look like a very credible site, both in take and feel.

20 minutes ago, thecampster said:

And I believe we're in a take receipts and revisit this in 2 years scenario. I don't see anyone in this class worth the #1 pick in any other year's draft so the question for me is to trade down and take your chance with the seemingly most impactful player at that level.  

there is a proposal out there about trading 1, clint to San Antonio (pass through) for #8 and other future firsts (1 is our pick back). I'd consider that and take Edey at 8.

The 1st year salary commitment for the #1 pick this year is $10.5 million. I'm not sure I can commit that salary to a player who is an obvious crap shoot. If you have to, the highest floor to me is Edey. I have to look at it like that. There is no Antman, no Luka, no Wemby, no Embiid in this year's draft. There is no sure thing. I'm not sure I can drop $10.5 million on Sarr as a 3rd string center and hope he develops.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/alexandre-sarr/#:~:text=Plays with excellent aggressiveness …,and has defensive anchor potential …

Trying to be consistent. Its the site I've used with each comparison.

I would like to point out a few things. The writer of the article you linked above is a scout for FIBA. He will have international bias. The same site (noceilingsnba.com) is very amateurish in design and their latest mock has Edey dropping all the way to the Celtics at 30. There is no shot in hell that happens. It doesn't look like a very credible site, both in take and feel.

There is a much better chance Edey goes 25-30 than top 10.  Far better chance.  There is a zero percent chance that Zach Edey goes top 10.  

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

We're the only fanbase even entertaining this idea.  Like, do people think they're seeing something that literally no one else is?

I'm convinced this is 'find the next Jokic' fever.  Remember all the 'next' Jordan's from the late 90's and 00's?  Yeah, me neither. 

And I hate to be blasphemous, but finding an MJ(to a lesser extent) seems like it might be easier than finding a Jokic. We have dudes in the NBA currently that somewhat play like MJ. Nowhere near as good, but similarish. 

Jokic is a 1 of 1 weirdo lol. 

Edited by Afro
  • Like 2

I'm trying to think of a player archetype that has a higher chance of going poorly than "trying to find the next Jokic" lol. 

If you try for Jokic and miss, that player is probably gonna be trash. If they can't pass, shoot, or be a certified magician, they're just fat and slow lol. 

If you try for an MJ, KD, steph, etc etc, at least they might still be functional. You might at least end up with Wiggins or some shit. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If there was ever any doubt that Givony is getting paid to push certain prospects, all that doubt should be dismissed now:

Anyone who doesn't think Bronny is going to get drafted is a joke in my mind.  Getting Bronny gets you a real chance of getting LeBron and getting LeBron means a real chance of another star wanting to play with him.  Even if Bronny was no better than I am he would probably be drafted for that alone.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Anyone who doesn't think Bronny is going to get drafted is a joke in my mind.  Getting Bronny gets you a real chance of getting LeBron and getting LeBron means a real chance of another star wanting to play with him.  Even if Bronny was no better than I am he would probably be drafted for that alone.

Agree with you Bronny will likely go in the 2nd round due to nepotism and his father, but I don't see Bron winning a chip or even contending again, regardless of who joins him.  He's been getting his numbers on offense, but his motor and endurance are horrendous now -- he can't finish a playoff series without taking possessions off and generally being exhausted.  Not to blame him at all, dude is massive and almost 40, amazing he's out there at all... but I really, really, would not want him on my team right now.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Agree with you Bronny will likely go in the 2nd round due to nepotism and his father, but I don't see Bron winning a chip or even contending again, regardless of who joins him.  He's been getting his numbers on offense, but his motor and endurance are horrendous now -- he can't finish a playoff series without taking possessions off and generally being exhausted.  Not to blame him at all, dude is massive and almost 40, amazing he's out there at all... but I really, really, would not want him on my team right now.

That is fair and you may be completely correct.  I would just say he is still the biggest name in the game and still producing at a high level most of the time.  He clearly isn't what he used to be and probably should be the #2 guy on a team if he wants to win a ring but a lot of teams would love to land him.

I could see any contending team being thrilled to give away a roster spot and second round pick if they could add LeBron to the roster.  For example, a team like the Orlando Magic to me become much more interesting as a contender if they add LeBron.  Suddenly they have a high impact player to add to a roster that already has outstanding depth.  I could easily see the Magic getting past the Cavs this year if they had him.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Afro said:

I'm trying to think of a player archetype that has a higher chance of going poorly than "trying to find the next Jokic" lol. 

If you try for Jokic and miss, that player is probably gonna be trash. If they can't pass, shoot, or be a certified magician, they're just fat and slow lol. 

If you try for an MJ, KD, steph, etc etc, at least they might still be functional. You might at least end up with Wiggins or some shit. 

Sarr can't be every elite prospect ever and Edey who is extremely well accomplished with great data and testing results get shun every single time you bring up guys like Yao Ming, Shaq, and Jokic but let's be 100x more ridiculous and bring up JJJ, KG, and others who's heights he's extremely unlikely to ever reach. 

I am really not a fan of Sarr supporters extreme suppression of Edey because you believe someone prototype is this when the data and the film don't match the eye. Even if Edey is different than Jokic, his predictive results from Pelton is the same as JOKIC

His impact is projected to be high, the highest for his size since Yao Ming

Ya'll love shunning Edey but when he's a stud in the NBA and Sarr clearly flops. Everyone is gonna be like, we knew Edey would be good, we saw it in college, NBA GMs are dumb. Sarr was good in OTE or in Australia in the ABL. The Hawks are a terrible organization with bad management. No one and I am no one will excuse negligence as a reason do make a mistake. Saying Darko was #2 against Bron all year doesn't give Detroit the excuse that they passed on Wade and Melo. 

[Edey deserves respect]. You have no clue what he will become in the NBA. Even me, who thinks he's a perennial MVP candidate with Trae is unsure completely until it happens for real. You can only be so sure regardless of how confident I am that it will happen