• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question ๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ of the day Way back years

Spud2nique

Been watching Hawks a long time but rarely hear about John Brown. He was on the all Rookie team of 73-74.

@Gray Muleย Gramps, do you recall this guy and his game. What was it like? Why and how did he seem to fade after a great start and how can you be an all rookie dude never starting a single game? Was he our Manu Ginรณbili? Who would be a good comparison in todays game? Thanks ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ Gramps!ย 
ย 

I gotta be honest I donโ€™t know ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ nuttin about this man.

ย 

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Being only a very casual fan for many years I have no memory of this player.

๐Ÿค”

He was our Detlef! Gramps you know Stu wants a go..ย :batman:

On 3/19/2024 at 11:38 PM, Spud2nique said:

@bird_dirtย youโ€™re an OG? Anything. Iโ€™m wondering why he tailed off after the all rookie nod.

Iโ€™m not a Hawks OG. I didnโ€™t really follow until I moved to Atlanta in 99.ย 

• Thanks 1

Nice find.ย  This is the era when basketball players got blue collar salaries.ย  Never heard of this guy.ย  Do we have anyone who was a fan in the early 70's.ย 

Where the ancient ones at?ย  I want a John Brown story.ย  He looks like he was in a brawl or two.ย ย 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I want a John Brown story.ย  He looks like he was in a brawl or two.ย ย 

Ya I just wanna know about his first year followed by his entire career really.

On 3/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, Spud2nique said:

Been watching Hawks a long time but rarely hear about John Brown. He was on the all Rookie team of 73-74.

@Gray Muleย Gramps, do you recall this guy and his game. What was it like? Why and how did he seem to fade after a great start and how can you be an all rookie dude never starting a single game? Was he our Manu Ginรณbili? Who would be a good comparison in todays game? Thanks ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ Gramps!ย 
ย 

I gotta be honest I donโ€™t know ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ nuttin about this man.

ย 

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3793.jpeg

He was a mediocre player in the NBA.ย  He was a tweener...too small to be a PF and not agile enough to be an SF. He was a typical bench/role p!ayer of that era.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I know who he is, but I never saw him play. In Huntington West-by-gawd Virginia, cable TV wasn't a thing yet, and the CBS affiliate was a few rolling hills away in Charleston. CBS gained the NBA contract in 73-74, so I almost never saw an NBA game unless I happened to be visiting my grandma's house. In fact, until just now, I'd always presumed John to have some more significant melanin than he evidently did. Dunno why. Just did. ๐Ÿ˜œ