• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2024 Hawks Offseason Thread: Lottery Bound

JayBirdHawk

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These are the OKC picks in 2025....none of these will get the Bucks Flagg.

Screenshot_20240514_204627_Samsung Internet.jpg

What are the protections on the HOU/LA picks? Those could have potential depending on the protections.

But the Spurs have their own pick and our unprotected pick next year. Both of those could get Flagg. Giannis / Wemby would be nasty.

On 5/12/2024 at 7:59 PM, aali34 said:

@NBASupes Hawks University should help him adjust. I saw Deandre Hunter go from a ball stopper with tunnel vision to someone who could flow within the offense and make decisive reads in a season.

Fk that guy. Hunter ain't it.  Give me smoke.  Use a better example.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Fk that guy. Hunter ain't it.  Give me smoke.  Use a better example.

He's not, but even he improved. That's why I used him as an example.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ShooterSays said:

This is the way. Build around Trae / JJ / Sarr and use DJM to upgrade the wing.

If Trae demands a trade bc he’s upset we didn’t trade the pick, too damn bad. We control his contract for 2 more seasons to see if this retool works. He’s going to make over $90M during that time - I don’t feel bad for him. Suck it up buttercup.

And a lot of our personnel choices over the years have had his input. Time to put that behind us and right this ship.

I would be down to go this route and just build around Trae and Sarr, but it seems Trae doesn't want this.  I don't want him to sour the locker room and team culture because we're holding him in Atlanta, not to mention devaluing him as an asset as he becomes closer to expiring.  If Trae is actually giving an ultimatum for a massive move or he wants to be traded, just trade him.  We can't have a cloud of drama surrounding the team for the next year or two.  It would also stunt everyone elses development if Trae was going to walk at the end of his deal because he's such a high usage player.  You have to rip that band-aid now, OR you have to get him to buy into playing with Alex Sarr and move forward on good terms.

Ultimately the FO has to figure out what the two scenarios look like through talks with other teams and pick the best path.  I will say the more I think about a potential Giannis trade, the less it makes sense.  I actually think the player that could be available is Anthony Davis.  Lebron has yet to extend his contract in LA and that team has nothing to build around.  I could see them rebuilding around the number one pick after Lebron leaves and AD inevitably wants out in that scenario.  Idk how I feel about AD though, guy can't stay on the court and he's 31.  Probably rather trade Trae than sell the farm for AD.  Tough decisions for Landry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I would be down to go this route and just build around Trae and Sarr, but it seems Trae doesn't want this.  I don't want him to sour the locker room and team culture because we're holding him in Atlanta, not to mention devaluing him as an asset as he becomes closer to expiring.  If Trae is actually giving an ultimatum for a massive move or he wants to be traded, just trade him.  We can't have a cloud of drama surrounding the team for the next year or two.  It would also stunt everyone elses development if Trae was going to walk at the end of his deal because he's such a high usage player.  You have to rip that band-aid now, OR you have to get him to buy into playing with Alex Sarr and move forward on good terms.

Ultimately the FO has to figure out what the two scenarios look like through talks with other teams and pick the best path.  I will say the more I think about a potential Giannis trade, the less it makes sense.  I actually think the player that could be available is Anthony Davis.  Lebron has yet to extend his contract in LA and that team has nothing to build around.  I could see them rebuilding around the number one pick after Lebron leaves and AD inevitably wants out in that scenario.  Idk how I feel about AD though, guy can't stay on the court and he's 31.  Probably rather trade Trae than sell the farm for AD.  Tough decisions for Landry.

Maybe. But Trae is a professional. I think as long as ownership puts forth a good effort to build around him and finally goes into the tax, he’ll stick it out.

I know it’s a big “if” on our ownership going into the tax though. But I don’t see any other option if you want to keep Trae.

• Like 1

Back to my question earlier, this would be my vision.  Take Alex Sarr with the first pick and get your defensive anchor.  With the 4th pick, I’m taking Stephon Castle.  He would be our perimeter defender that we have lacked.  With the 8th pick, I am taking Ron Holland.  

My other thought is to shoot for upside and go with Zaccharie Risacher and Tidjane Salaun.  

Edited by KB21

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Back to my question earlier, this would be my vision.  Take Alex Sarr with the first pick and get your defensive anchor.  With the 4th pick, I’m taking Stephon Castle.  He would be our perimeter defender that we have lacked.  With the 8th pick, I am taking Ron Holland.  

My other thought is to shoot for upside and go with Zaccharie Risacher and Tidjane Salaun.  

Summer League would be fun this year, but that’s probably all we’re winning for a very very long time. 

15 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Summer League would be fun this year, but that’s probably all we’re winning for a very very long time. 

If it happens, it is what it is.  Who’s to say that this group doesn’t accelerate like the OKC young guys?   If you bring them into an environment that is conducive to proper player development, and you never know what might happen.  That’s what we lacked between Bud and Quin. Proper player development.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If it happens, it is what it is.  Who’s to say that this group doesn’t accelerate like the OKC young guys?   If you bring them into an environment that is conducive to proper player development, and you never know what might happen.  That’s what we lacked between Bud and Quin. Proper player development.  

Aren't ya'll tired of being the next 'name that team'. 

It was Pistons for a minute, then the Spurs, then GSW, then some other team....and now the Thunder.

We lack one singular vision with the constant front office and coaching instability. Hopes and dreams man, hopes and dreams. I'm just tired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Aren't ya'll tired of being the next 'name that team'. 

It was Pistons for a minute, then the Spurs, then GSW, then some other team....and now the Thunder.

We lack one singular vision with the constant front office and coaching instability. Hopes and dreams man, hopes and dreams. I'm just tired.

Yes, and giving up on Trae is not something I’m ready to do.  Our defense was in shambles, and he was the fall guy.  We’ve never paired him with another star either.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

If Giannis is disappointed with Milwaukee brain trust putting together a winning team, then he is going to LOOOVE Atlanta. 

At least the Bucks actually tried to build the team around him. All the moves may not have worked....but I applaud the good faith effort to do so.

Rather try hard and fail, than do nothing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HawkingAwesome said:

dejunta for ingram draft edey crazy f***ing team.

You thought the Falcons got ripped..wait until you try to sell Edey as the #1 draft pick 😂😂. Sherman's march will seem like a tour compared to the burning that'll take place in Atlanta. 

IMB_20181224012916_2Rqe.gif

• Haha 3

I’d love to see Giannis.. but crazy part is Jrue and Brook and Khris had almost as much to do with their winning as him.

you still need to surround him with defense or else it’s just another Giannis-Lillard 

However never underestimate leverage being taken away when a player wants to go to one place and one place only..

only if Giannis wants to come play with Trae do we not get fleeced

Edited by theheroatl

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

I’d love to see Giannis.. but crazy part is Jrue and Brook and Khris had almost as much to do with their winning as him.

you still need to surround him with defense or else it’s just another Giannis-Lillard 

However never underestimate leverage being taken away when a player wants to go to one place and one place only..

only if Giannis wants to come play with Trae do we not get fleeced

That duo was 30-13 before they fired Adrian Griffin and hired Doc Rivers.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, deester11 said:

You thought the Falcons got ripped..wait until you try to sell Edey as the #1 draft pick 😂😂. Sherman's march will seem like a tour compared to the burning that'll take place in Atlanta. 

IMB_20181224012916_2Rqe.gif

i liked penix at 8 in fact i think it's the 2nd biggest steal of the draft after the 4th round pick dorlus. edey is the perfect counter to the new meta which is wemby and chet. he's just as tall and long as them but he's got a normal body like shaq.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1