• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

TRAE OR DJ OR BOTH

Spud2nique

Who do we keep and move forward with and why  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/27/2024 at 11:40 PM

2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Remember when Nate brought in his offensive scheme after the ECF?  Oops.  

Hawks had Lloyd Pierce and all his assistant coaches.  They had LP's scheme in place.  They replaced LP with Nate in mid-season but didn't change anything else.  These players, these schemes and these assistant coaches assisted Nate in gaining the ECF!

:ahf:

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Hawks had Lloyd Pierce and all his assistant coaches.  They had LP's scheme in place.  They replaced LP with Nate in mid-season but didn't change anything else.  These players, these schemes and these assistant coaches assisted Nate in gaining the ECF!

:ahf:

Nate running LP's offense was better than LP or Nate by themselves.

• Like 2

• Moderators

We shouldn't get too revisionist on this though.   Nate's offense was #2 in the league.  It just got shut down in the playoffs but there were a lot of factors that went into that disastrous series with the Heat.  It wasn't all on coaching.  We had no defense, no frontline.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We shouldn't get too revisionist on this though.   Nate's offense was #2 in the league.  It just got shut down in the playoffs but there were a lot of factors that went into that disastrous series with the Heat.  It wasn't all on coaching.  We had no defense, no frontline.

I'm comparing the larger set of games with Nate running LP's offense to the larger set of all games with Nate doing his own thing more than comparing the playoff runs.   I fully agree that series with the Heat was more about the missing frontcourt than any coaching strategy. There were big questions raised about Nate's midrange emphasis, etc. very early on as he shifted the offense to his desired approach.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm comparing the larger set of games with Nate running LP's offense to the larger set of all games with Nate doing his own thing more than comparing the playoff runs.   I fully agree that series with the Heat was more about the missing frontcourt than any coaching strategy. There were big questions raised about Nate's midrange emphasis, etc. very early on as he shifted the offense to his desired approach.

It was actually a good move by Nate. His percentages on all levels was off the charts. Once JC got hurt and Capela got hurt in the Cleveland play in, we just couldn't score in the paint and basically Trae got trapped to oblivion 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

The analogy doesn't apply to people like @JayBirdHawk because they were advocating the Hawks acquire White before Boston did.  That is is the opposite of hindsight.

Yeah, not sure why you are connecting those other than to point out that our failure to make that move combined with the overpays we did with out own free agents put us in the position where we have fewer draft assets, a roster with some ill fitting pieces, and an undesirable payroll situation with players like CC, JC, Hunter, etc.

Right.  I think the conversation about where we go from here has nothing to do with JC or White.  Those are looking back to see how we got into our current situation.  Where we go from here has to do with conversations like should we want to trade for Ingram given his game and pending contract situation (and if so what is the right price); who should we take in the draft and how should that pick affect the rest of the roster; under what conditions should we resign Bey; should we trade CC, Hunter, Bogi, DJM, Trae, etc. and what should such a trade look like, etc.

To me it doesn’t matter if someone suggested it or not.  

The main point is we got fewer ways to make impactful moves with our current situation.  Bringing up a trade like Derrick White is like saying we’re counting an a miracle.  It’s what all teams dream about pulling off.  

I always hope we make a killer move though.  They could be on the roster already, Mo Gueye or Jalen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Right now, we likely have Trae, Bogi, BI, and JJ. Draft Edey and that fixes most of our troubles. Sure, defense will take some time but we should focus on a world class offense that can score 3 levels like we did when we bad Kevin with Bogi and one that can score easy buckets which we have never had in Atlanta. Only St. Louis with Pettit

I’m warming up to Ingram.  Hoping a better option emerges, but I think Trae and Ingram could be a much better fit than Murray.

should’ve traded Dejounte at the deadline. It was so obvious in January that something going on. People keep talking about how much of a “leader” Dejounte is when he’s causing drama like this. This is ridiculous man. Keep Trae, and trade DJ and all the pro-DJ players. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

should’ve traded Dejounte at the deadline. It was so obvious in January that something going on. People keep talking about how much of a “leader” Dejounte is when he’s causing drama like this. This is ridiculous man. Keep Trae, and trade DJ and all the pro-DJ players. 

Totally agree *except* DJs trade value at the deadline was trash. Zero good trade options rumored. The season was a wash anyway, so I think keeping him and putting him back in the market now has increased his value. 

But yeah, let’s get rid of him now before training camp starts. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

I’m warming up to Ingram.  Hoping a better option emerges, but I think Trae and Ingram could be a much better fit than Murray.

Can’t be a worse pairing although it will certainly be much more expensive.

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

That guy absolutely destroys the narrative that the team is better with DJM than with Trae.  

Interesting that he compared Trae to Deron Williams and DJ to Monta Ellis.

The trade of Ellis by Golden State to get Andrew Bogut, is what started to unlock Curry and improve the Warriors defensively.

He also cited correctly that OO's rim protection disappeared. He also called Hunter "a nothing player" that shouldn't be starting, but probably has to.

• Premium Member

No. 1: Atlanta Hawks

atl.png&h=110&w=110

Is it truly smart to break up the Dejounte Murray and Trae Young backcourt?

Getting the No. 1 pick does not dismiss how Atlanta should evaluate the Murray and Young backcourt. Per Cleaning the Glass, Atlanta was outscored by 6.0 per 100 possessions this season when both players were on the court together. The Hawks had a 120.7 defensive efficiency rating in their shared minutes, fifth worst among more than 225 duos to play 1,000 minutes together. Murray is entering Year 1 of a four-year, $120 million extension. His $24.8 million cap hit is $20 million less than a max player. Young has two years left on his contract ($43 million and $46 million) and can become a free agent in 2026. -- Bobby Marks

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40132847/2024-nba-draft-biggest-post-lottery-questions-12-teams-atlanta-hawks-washington-wizards-houston-rockets

• Like 3