• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Donovan Clingan or Alexander Sarr: Battle of 1st overall pick

NBASupes

Who did you think should go 1st overall?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 06/29/2024 at 01:07 AM

I heard thake what they shoot in an open gym and divide by two to get to estimated in game production.  7/9 = 77.8%/2 = 38.9% if he shoots that, he'll be worth the number one pick with his projected defense.

• Like 1

I think the bigger question for me now is what type of player do we want to pair with Sarr at the 5, and what do we do with Jalen?  I don't really think OO is the guy.  And I'm open to moving Jalen because his value should be peak right now.  

4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I heard thake what they shoot in an open gym and divide by two to get to estimated in game production.  7/9 = 77.8%/2 = 38.9% if he shoots that, he'll be worth the number one pick with his projected defense.

Sarr is going to be a beast if he has any work ethic at all.  Will take a few years but you just can't pass on this potential.

He's also 10 lbs heavier than reported so he's already sizing up.  LETS GOO!!!

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Behind them is a group of guys like Sheppard,Holland and Castle (dog POA defenders who scare the shit out of you if their game doesn’t round out a la Michael Kidd Gilcrest) 

As one of the resident UK fans here, I have to point out that Sheppard is not remotely a dog POA defender who needs to round out on offense.  He is an opportunistic and intelligent defender without elite physical traits who is an outstanding shooter (he was the best shooter on a talented UK team last year).  I think Sheppard has a high floor on offense and is more questionable on the defensive side of the ball (although he has shown promise there as well).  Very different profile than MKG.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Jody23 said:

For a guy who's 7'1, that handle and fluidity look like a solid foundation to work for his offense imo.

This is the most exciting clip I've seen today.  Thanks for sharing it, @Jody23.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

SN: taking some time to look at a few more draft prospects and while there may not be a clear cut superstar, I think there are a lot of players who would thrive with a guy like Trae who would take the pressure off of them to be immediate shot creators. There also aren’t many high end, ready made, college stars, like Edwards a couple years ago who you are comfortable projecting. That said the league is trending back toward big men 

The strength of this draft are the big men, (arguably our greatest need). I’d let them battle in our in workouts to see who comes out on top. 

Sarr is a potential do it all big. Switchable POA defender who profiles as the next great stretch 5. Big question make for me is his motor and work ethic. But the kid has tools in spades so if he has the desire to be the best, I would feel comfortable projecting him closer to his ceiling. 

Clingan/Edey have already been discussed as paint protectors, low post scorers. Steady guys, may not be anything special but high floor players as well. 

Behind them is a group of guys like Sheppard,Holland and Castle (dog POA defenders who scare the shit out of you if their game doesn’t round out a la Michael Kidd Gilcrest) and shooters like Knecht/ Risacher (who looks like a Peja Stojakovic clone to me) who I’d really like lower in the top ten. 

That said, the league is tending back towards big men (Embiid, Jokic, Wemby, JJJ, KAT, Gobert, etc) so if you can get a guy to battle with them, you take him in my mind. The good news is our FO was ahead of the curve on Giannis a few years ago and we have a decent track record on finding mid round gems so let’s hope that translates.

JJJ rebounding is too bad to be on this list...😂

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, marco102 said:

I'm glad the NBA is making all players get measured.  Also good to see that he's up to 224 pounds.

Let the shoes no shoes debate begin...lol

Fun times. We were even drawing lines to align foreheads where the hair meets, and eyes and shoulders from pictures with guys with shoes :laugh1:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, txsting said:

I think the bigger question for me now is what type of player do we want to pair with Sarr at the 5, and what do we do with Jalen?  I don't really think OO is the guy.  And I'm open to moving Jalen because his value should be peak right now.  

Hawks move JJ We riot....:mad:

• Like 1

I think JJ / Sarr is the ideal pairing at the 4 & 5. Question is whether or not Sarr can be an every-play Center. If yes, this is the easiest pick ever.

If no or maybe, I think he’s still the pick. But it’ll just take some more work to make sure all the pieces fit right.

JJ / OO / Sarr on defense is lights out. Offensively tho… probably not perfect.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 5:08 PM, bleachkit said:

Worst draft in recent memory and we get #1 pick. 

I was thinking the same at 1st,  BUT........

The Only 3 number 1 picks to win a Ring with the team that drafted them in the last 34 years are

Lebron, Kyrie(thanks to LBJ), and Tim Duncan

So the idea that we won the lottery in the wrong year is ridiculous.  I am Glad we won the lottery......

Now Let’s pick Sarr and keep it moving.  😀

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I think JJ / Sarr is the ideal pairing at the 4 & 5. Question is whether or not Sarr can be an every-play Center. If yes, this is the easiest pick ever.

If no or maybe, I think he’s still the pick. But it’ll just take some more work to make sure all the pieces fit right.

JJ / OO / Sarr on defense is lights out. Offensively tho… probably not perfect.

He's 7'1, 225 and just turned 19 years old 2 weeks ago.  He will easily gain 20-30 lbs in the next few years just as he gets older.  

Absolutely he can play center full time.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

So the idea that we won the lottery in the wrong year is ridiculous. 

It's not.  There is an obvious difference between no brainer franchise players like Wemby, Duncan, Hakeem, Shaq, etc. and the guys in this year's draft.  

But it is always better to be high in the lottery so it is still a good thing.

• Like 1

At this point is a matter of piling players with upside at every position even if they don’t fit perfectly

If we draft Sarr and I think we should in my mind the keepers are

Trae/DJM/Bufkin/Bogi/Hunter/Gueye/JJ/Sarr/OO. 

Solid 9 man rotation, we still lack size at center and defense at wing, not balanced, probably a play in team. Could trade Capela, AJ, Bey and OO for an upgrade at C and wing but is really difficult, do not see that on market.

The other option is to trade Trae or DJM to fill the hole

Apparently we might trade Young for picks 4 and 8 and some of our picks back. We could use the picks and draft Clingan and Castle and that is a real upgrade for the roster, in my mind keepers would be

DJM/Kobe/ Castle/Bogi/Hunter/Gueye/JJ/ Sarr/OO/Clingan. That is a pretty good and balanced roster, elite defense probably rough offense but Inhink offense is still good. Size, defense and toughness everywhere, I like it. We might even trade Capela, AJ and Bey for a shooting wing to round the roster.

The other option DJM trade…. I don’t like what I am hearing. DJM and OO for BI and DD. Keepers would be

Trae/Kobe/DD/Bogi/BI/Hunter/Gueye/JJ/Sarr/Capela. I love Trae but I like more the team with DJM.

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Jody23 said:

For a guy who's 7'1, that handle and fluidity look like a solid foundation to work for his offense imo.

The quickness has me drooling.  Also, I've scrutinized A TON of him in transition. He's definitely comfortable handling the ball in traffic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wretch said:

The quickness has me drooling.  Also, I've scrutinized A TON of him in transition. He's definitely comfortable handling the ball in traffic.

:drool:

• Haha 3