• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Historically speaking the #1 pick has a 75% chance of becoming a good to great player. You draft the consensus #1 and don't be like Cleveland taking a reach.

Generally, the #1 pick is the best player or there is a range of players truly deserving of the pick. This year, the consensus has this as a historically bad draft class. 2005 was seen as a bad draft class as well as 2006. 

Bogut and Bargs ended up 1st overall. Neither was the best player in their classes. Neither ended as the best player either. The consensus #1 prospect was Marvin and Adam Morrison who earned comps to Larry Bird by Nbadraft.net. The best players those years was CP3 and Deron. As well as Morrison and Brandon Roy in 2006. Morrison failed in the NBA but Roy had a tremendous early career till injuries which medical predicted, happened.

Edited by NBASupes

It's just stupid to question who the best player is when most NBA teams in this draft don't know. They draft on fit, upside..every thing THEY think is important. There is NO consensus in this draft other than SARR. Good, bad or otherwise he is being talked about as having the most upside. In a sea of unknown, I'm firmly in on Sarr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, deester11 said:

It's just stupid to question who the best player is when most NBA teams in this draft don't know. They draft on fit, upside..every thing THEY think is important. There is NO consensus in this draft other than SARR. Good, bad or otherwise he is being talked about as having the most upside. In a sea of unknown, I'm firmly in on Sarr.

I don't see how Sarr is a fit. He's bad at everything Trae needs and he's raw on offense. Even James Edwards who likes Sarr to Atlanta called him a PnP prospect and he's poor at shooting metrics. I don't see the fit. He's position blocked by JJ at the 4. He's a terrible 5 in my scout. I don't see the fit at all. His bust potential with us is astronomical. 

• Premium Member

If Edey becomes a star and Sarr doesn't...Supes will never, ever let us forget it.

I do think Edey is going to have a good NBA career. I think Sarr will as well and I like Sarr's upside more than Edey's. Basically I'm gambling on a higher floor and lower ceiling over higher ceiling but much lower floor. 

Whoever we take I will support them. As @NBASupes mentioned...go back and look at old draft threads from that draft. I was praying to God we took Deron Williams because he had the It factor. And he had a probably HOF career path until injuries just derailed the the last years of his career. CP3 I was more leery of about injuries but he's still going and is a definite HOF player. Marvin Superbust Williams...it still makes me sick to think about him.

Thankfully for me at least there is NO prospect in this draft I feel as strongly about as I did Deron Williams in that draft. Reed Sheppard is probably the closest but I know we're not taking him #1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If Edey becomes a star and Sarr doesn't...Supes will never, ever let us forget it.

I do think Edey is going to have a good NBA career. I think Sarr will as well and I like Sarr's upside more than Edey's. Basically I'm gambling on a higher floor and lower ceiling over higher ceiling but much lower floor. 

Whoever we take I will support them. As @NBASupes mentioned...go back and look at old draft threads from that draft. I was praying to God we took Deron Williams because he had the It factor. And he had a probably HOF career path until injuries just derailed the the last years of his career. CP3 I was more leery of about injuries but he's still going and is a definite HOF player. Marvin Superbust Williams...it still makes me sick to think about him.

Thankfully for me at least there is NO prospect in this draft I feel as strongly about as I did Deron Williams in that draft. Reed Sheppard is probably the closest but I know we're not taking him #1.

I'm ok with Supes ripping us all for our takes on Sarr. He's made good points on Edey but I'm on the Sarr train.  If they go another direction, so be it.  I'm not as much anti -Edey as I am pro -Sarr.  At one....any other year.  Ewww...but that point is irrelevant.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I'm ok with Supes ripping us all for our takes on Sarr. He's made good points on Edey but I'm on the Sarr train.  If they go another direction, so be it.  I'm not as much anti -Edey as I am pro -Sarr.  At one....any other year.  Ewww...but that point is irrelevant.

I respect the heck out of you Deester, you know I love you brother

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

And that would be his right...ain nobody scared! 🤓

Lmao. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that's what Supes doesn't get.  He thinks we are completely anti Edey like certain posters, but I can see why you can talk yourself into Edey. 

I'm just going with the upside of Sarr and I see the fit with Trae.  Sarr will be a backup his first year anyway so blocks to playing time is irrelevant.  Against certain teams he can play the five. He can play the five against OKC for example so he can get valuable experience while being a backup and learning the nuances of the NBA. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I respect the heck out of you Deester, you know I love you brother

Lmao. 

You definitely bring it. We all want our Hawks to get out of basketball purgatory so we argue from a place of concern. You my dude Supes!  This will be fun no matter what. I hope.IMB_20190516080117_bxt1.gif.b851573847371e20ca5daf20b4af8dc3.gif

Edited by deester11
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I project Sarr as a GREAT defender. A 7ft who can defend the perimeter at a HIGH level is invaluable. That said, he's not good at big man defense. Post defense, drop coverage D, using physicality, having bulk or size. He's a terrific big wing which is what teams see as a modern 4 defense. But he's terrible at big man defense. That limits his position on defense to 1-4 plus big wing which is ELITE but if you can't defend 5s at all, well, his offense matters so much more. Offense is still worth double of defense in this league. Elite offense is a part of good defense in this league and horrendous offense hurts everyone on the court. 

He's too small to be in that role and he would be too limited. Dunker spot is extremely physical. I know Capela makes it look easy but he's tough, strong, and can take a beating. Sarr might could take one but too many and he would be plywood in this league.

My issue with Sarr is the fact that Chriss is a superior offensive player and they are the same offensive type and he failed in flying colors. Now, Sarr is miles better than Chriss on D but offense can keep you off the court in this league. 

The upside is there. Give him 3-4 years but with the expectation at 1st overall and his peers expectations as well, I don't know if this is a good idea. I can literally see Atlanta coming out really bad after all of this. 

Maybe Edey isn't, Deron was similar in that sense that he was kinda limited. Wasn't the ideal potential star. Didn't fill up all the stat sheets but he was a perfect fit for Utah offense and he played that Stockton role as well as anyone outside of Stockton. CP3 is the system, it's kinda hard to fit him anywhere.

He improved at drop as the season went along though. Plus he’s best when he’s at the level which is our base defense. Not to mention why do we keep talking about these players as if they can’t get better? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He improved at drop as the season went along though. Plus he’s best when he’s at the level which is our base defense. Not to mention why do we keep talking about these players as if they can’t get better? 

To me….drafting Sarr changes our defensive identity to where we will have to become a switching defense.

Trae is going to get exposed badly in a switching defense. I think Trae showed us this season he needs to be on PGs at all times .

i understand that you can have a potential outstanding switching defense with Jalen, Sarr, OO front court but your backcourt of Trae and Bogi is not going to work in that type of defensive scheme.

perhaps the issue with all of my thoughts on how we should approach the draft is making sure we build around Trae but if that’s no longer the approach then sure take Sarr. 

Drsfting Sarr ultimately means we are heading to a potential rebuild because he’s not at the point where he can impact winning. Sarr needs to develop and we are in a win now situation or we lose Trae. Why not draft Clingan who’s a safer pick and better fit with Trae ???

• Like 1