• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How Long Have You Been a Hawks Fan For?

goingallout

I can remember the Atlanta paper doing a comparison between Dan Roundfield and Dr. J, and then declaring Roundfield the better all-round forward. I think this was around the time they played the Bullets in the playoffs and got beat (77-78).

Well, I can't claim that I've been a Hawks fan since my birth but they have filled quite a good portion of my life. I started to follow basketball maybe around 17 years or so ago when a frind of my mom gave me a box of basketball cards. I really liked the Hawks Pac-man uniforms and Nique just looked awesome so I picked up on the Hawks there.

I don't have any Hawks merchandise as of right now but have always meant to get a ball cap or two (though I can never find one that I really like) and if we draft D.Will this year I'll end up buying his, Smoove's, and Chill's jersey and mount them on my wall.

Other players I've enjoyed over time where, of course, Nique, Mookie and Steve Smith. Then there's Mutombo and, though it was through rough times, I was a big JT supporter.

i started watching the hawks since i was about 10 or so. im 20 now, so its been about 10 years.

i started watching when ANDREW LANG (i think his name was) was the starting center for us. i thought he was extremely talented at the time (how did he fare against other starting centers?)

however my favorite lineup was-

Blaylock, Smith, Corbin, Laettner, and Mutombo.

Ive always loved Georgia sports but when Jordan was in the NBA seriously all I cared about was the Bulls and Jordan. After he retired when I was like 10 I started loving the Hawks. I liked the Hawks but I never took the deep intrest in them that I have now. I never got to experience the glory years of playoffs unfortunately frown.gif

I have been a Hawks fan for about 20 Years. I have a whole room full of Hawks gear. I have niques Jersey but it is not signed. I also have the T'shirt hanging on my wall from the night Nique retired his jersey. I guess my oldest memories are those of Reggie Theous and Roy Sparro but I have been a fan longer than that.

Hawks fan for about 20 years. Favorite teams were the Doc Rivers, Nique, and Kevin Willis squads. The dagger in every Hawks fan's heart is when Nique was traded when the Hawks were in first place. Why? That was perhaps our best chance at a championship apart from the year Nique battled Bird in game 7.

I have no Hawks gear. I like sports, but I don't get into buying the merchandise.

• Premium Member

The 1970 season is the first I remember. Looks like I might be the only 40-something left on the planet who still holds out for a Hawks championship... though to my memory it seems that Graymule might be in my league.

• Premium Member

I was about 11 and I don't know why I was watching because had absolutely no interest in pro sports - at all. I was all about some cartoons...especially Transformers and GI Joe.

I tried watching baseball, football...and even soccer, but I just couldn't get into any of those sports. So, one weekend...bored as crap, I just decided to tune into this basketball game that was on. And there was something special about it (at the time, I had no idea I was watching two of the greatest and well matched teams of all time battle it out). I was quickly turned into a Lakers fan and I got really upset when it was over, because there was no more basketball for MONTHS.

I couldn't wait for the regular season to start in the fall. When it did, I was looking for LA games...but my brother told me that there was a team playing in Georgia that I could go and see play. I was like..."NO WAY!"

...and one night he called me into the den to watch the Hawks play...and I saw Nique and that was IT.