• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Convince me Horford can be our CENTER!

Quote:

Now you are seeing more teams going towards doing that.
So why don't you list all the teams that have a starting center Horfords size (and don't try listing guys with 9'2" standing reaches or guys who weight 20 pounds more).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good rebounder, another horrible argument. Marvin has a 9' standing reach and gets his shot blocked 25% of the time inside. You are completely dismissing basketball skills and saying a player's standing reach is the END ALL argument as to whether he can be successful. Good to know. Don't whine when I bump this thread in the future.

Why do I think the guy can play center in the NBA?

Because he is over 6 ft. tall, at least by some measurements

we have observed.

Because he is strong enough so that he won't be easy to

push around by other big men of the NBA.

Because he has a history of being a good rebounder, can

score inside, provided all those other "tall" centers

don't look down on him and smother him from above.

Come on. He's over 6 ft. and can reach a tad higher

than that - Can "Possibly" jump a few inches more.

Seems I remember another guy who was a decent rebounder

several years ago, Rodman or something like that and

he probably wasn't over 6 or 8 inches taller than our

man, was he?

All that being said, a lot depends on the offensive

and defensive sets that the Hawks employ.

Posted Image

Quote:

good rebounder, another horrible argument. Marvin has a 9' standing reach and gets his shot blocked 25% of the time inside. You are completely dismissing basketball skills and saying a player's standing reach is the END ALL argument as to whether he can be successful. Good to know. Don't whine when I bump this thread in the future.
As usual you are too simpleminded to see the obvious.There is more than one factor involved in getting rebounds. Strength and positioning also play a role. But i am sure that is over your head, just like most of the oppositions shots inside go easily over Shelden's head. And his lack of reach also makes it harder for him to get his shot off inside. A longer reach makes it easier to get your shot off and easier to get rebounds, however it is not the only factor involved in either. I don't know why i am even trying to explain since you don't have the capacity to grasp something this complicated.

• Moderators

In two games matched against the taller and longer Greg Oden, Al Horford outrebounded him 23 to 16 despite Greg Oden playing more minutes than Horford in those games. That is at least a promising indicator he will be able to hold his own against some longer players in the NBA.

Quote:

In two games matched against the taller and longer Greg Oden, Al Horford outrebounded him 23 to 16 despite Greg Oden playing more minutes than Horford in those games. That is at least a promising indicator he will be able to hold his own against some longer players in the NBA.
Oden was playing one handed in one of those games.I am sure BK realizes that we need a center with size to deal with the bigger centers. I don't have a problem with Horford playing 15 minutes a game at center. But if he starts at center he will be overmatched and have consistent foul trouble.

Quote:

There is more than one factor involved in getting rebounds. Strength and positioning also play a role. But i am sure that is over your head,
Yeah, that was way over my head. You just proved my point, rebounding is NOT primarily standing reach as you are trying to make it. Strength, boxout's, positioning, and reading the ball off the rim are much bigger influences than mere standing reach. Reach is 1 of maybe 6 factors, which has been my point. It's entirely possible (and not unlikely) to be a good rebounder without an impressive standing reach. Shelden is stronger than Horford, but he's also less athletic, shorter and has less reach. Horford will have no problem being a good rebounder in the NBA.

Quote:

And his lack of reach also makes it harder for him to get his shot off inside.
Actually that's because Shelden has no offensive game. And reach is not a big factor at all when talking about getting your shot off inside, especially when skill is brought into the equation, something that is completely over your head.You still haven't proven that reach is vital in rebounding or scoring, and isn't in anything other than shotblocking. It certainly helps, and doesn't hurt, but you act like because his reach is 8'11 that he has NO chance, which is not true.

Quote:

And please put this into the equation while doing it...No one has refuted this point made by Exodus yet...

Horford's standing reach is only 8'11...that would be at least 2 inches shorter than any other center in the league.

I am more worried about him on defense, than him going up against C's on offense.

Ok, now enlighten me.

Posted Image

He is a legit and only a PF, don't let Josh Smith fans or Zaza haters fool you, he a PF, I don't think he will work in the Atlanta offense unless I see some trades made. I don't know, I see Vin Baker in him but I don't know, Atlanta is just not a good team for him to go to.

since you are so simpleminded.ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL...A player with a higher standing reach will be better able to get his shot off inside, get rebounds and play defense.Just like ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL...A faster player will have a big advantage over a slower player.

LMAO at me being simple minded when your entire argument against him at center is based on standing reach.I guess you missed this quote

Quote:

It certainly helps, and doesn't hurt
Guess you skipped over that one. Did I say reach doesn't help? It DOES, but it's only ONE of about 6 factors in rebounding and scoring. I won't be surprised if you still don't understand. The ONLY factor where reach is a vital asset is shotblocking.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Oden was playing one handed in one of those games.I am sure BK realizes that we need a center with size to deal with the bigger centers. I don't have a problem with Horford playing 15 minutes a game at center. But if he starts at center he will be overmatched and have consistent foul trouble.
I hope you are wrong but I share some of your concerns as well. Horford needs to be able to consistently play center for us.With respect to the championship game where Oden was healthy, Oden had 10 rebounds in 38 minutes against Horford and Horford had 12 rebounds in 34 minutes against Oden. In terms of rebounding, he definitely held his own against the most promising young center since Shaq. (Duncan wasn't that promising entering or after his freshman year).

• Moderators

Quote:

Even in high school Oden wasn't noted for his offense but he scored 25 pts shooting 65% against Florida. Some nights Horford will be giving up 5" or more in reach. That is too much to reasonably expect him to deal with.
Again, I hope you are wrong but share the concern.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why do I think the guy can play center in the NBA?

Because he is over 6 ft. tall, at least by some measurements

we have observed.

Because he is strong enough so that he won't be easy to

push around by other big men of the NBA.

Because he has a history of being a good rebounder, can

score inside, provided all those other "tall" centers

don't look down on him and smother him from above.

Come on. He's over 6 ft. and can reach a tad higher

than that - Can "Possibly" jump a few inches more.

Seems I remember another guy who was a decent rebounder

several years ago, Rodman or something like that and

he probably wasn't over 6 or 8 inches taller than our

man, was he?

All that being said, a lot depends on the offensive

and defensive sets that the Hawks employ.

Posted Image

I guess these guys forget about this cat name Boris Diaw played center for the western division champions and won the NBA most improved plyer award in the process 2 years ago. But i guess they are right, you need a 7 footer at center with a long stnding reach to win games. Trade for Sene or O'Bryant now!

LOL at Smoove being the worst positional player on this team.... That honor goes to both Lue and Za-Za who suck tremendously...Lue constantly let's him man blow by him. Hell all of our guards including Joe suck playing defense... And let's not forget about Za-Za who thinks fouling is playing defense but it's not... No one on this team can play defense good but..... The thing about Smoove, Horford. They have the potential to be great defenders... Like the others said. Smoove often has to make up for others on the team mistakes......

Quote:

I guess these guys forget about this cat name Boris Diaw played center for the western division champions and won the NBA most improved plyer award in the process 2 years ago.
Isn't he the guy who averaged a triple single this year that they are looking to dump?

• Premium Member

You must be kidding...You need to understand a few things about rebounding. First off, the most important aspect of rebounding is position... To get position requires strength and good footwork. Go look up the games of Dennis Rodman. Horford is faster (running north south) but check out his lane agility. Lane Agility is a measure of how well a player moves his feet and changes direction. Footwork is paramount for rebounding. Horford sucks at moving his feet. Horford capitalized in college because he was aggressive and he played beside Noah and Brewer. When you have more than one aggressive rebounder on a team it usually amplifies a players ability... Namely in college where only bigs rebound well. However, Horford will have a long ways to go in the pros... Without good footwork, he will not get good position. The standing reach has nothing to do with rebounding. Nobody is every standing fully outstretched when they rebound, they are usually trying to muscle for a position. It's a great joke everytime you guys bring up this useless stat... Shelden has a "bad standing reach" yet, he was the best rookie rebounder and if given the minutes, he would have been amoung the best in the league.