Seriously Woody? WTF?

Cwell

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...smith_dunk.html

Congrats to Marvin also

Smith won’t try for slam dunk crown

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 06, 2009

There was no formal invitation extended, but one-time slam-dunk winner Josh Smith was asked if he was interested in joining this year’s field at the NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix.

While flattered, the Hawks forward passed for a variety of reasons.

“First and foremost I’m just not healthy enough for something like that,” he said. “You have to be at your best to compete in something like that. All-Star Weekend is actually a chance to rest your body for a few days and get totally away from everything before recharging and getting ready for the second half push.”

Smith missed 12 games earlier this year with a high ankle sprain.

He insisted that he’s not experiencing any lingering effects, but that he simply hasn’t been “the same” since going down in the fourth games of the season.

JOHNSON STILL AILING: Joe Johnson’s feeling better, but how much better remains to be seen The Hawks’ captain and All-Star missed his second straight game with a viral infection Friday night when his teammates battled Charlotte at Time Warner Cable Arena. He could miss his third in a row Saturday night when the Hawks host the Los Angeles Clippers at Philips Arena.

“I talked to Joe [Thursday night] and he said feels a little bit better,” Woodson said.

“We’ll just gauge it from there. If he tells me he’s ready to go then he’ll play. If not, we’ll take it day-to-day.”

Johnson’s struggles in January look totally different to Woodson now that it’s become clear that Johnson’s fatigue might not have been more physical than anything else.

“He could have been sick and didn’t realize it because he had a lethargic look about him,” Woodson said. “So he could have been. And I was steady wearing him out and wearing him down with minutes.

“But my whole thing with the minutes and everybody talking about him playing too many, I was just trying to push for him to make that All-Star team. Because that to me, was extremely important for Joe, for our team and for our entire organization.”

JERSEY CEREMONY: Marvin Williams already has his All-Star Weekend schedule set. He’ll head home to Bremerton, Wash., where his high school jersey will be retired at halftime during one of his younger brother’s basketball games. “It’s an honor, of course, any time somebody wants to retire your jersey,” Williams said. “It will be a fantastic weekend, getting a chance to see my family and then getting my jersey retired in front of all the people that have supported me all these years.”

Edited by Cwell

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that Woodson could be that dumb. His reasoning for helping JJ make the ASG is the same reason he almost didn't make it. What an oxyMORON. Running him into the ground is probably what made him play worse. I'm glad Joe got a virus so he can just sit back and chill for a while, and with the ASG coming up he'll get even more rest and hopefully be ready to dominate the 2nd half.

• Admin

This is very frustrating. I didn't want JJ to make the all star game so he can rest and now its out that he was getting overplayed so he could make it. Team first Woody. Let Acie, Evans and Murray get more minutes. I would rather JJ play around 36 minutes instead of 40. We still have half a season to go.

Its horrible but Joe should also have the guts to say he doesn't feel healthy enough to play.

I totally agree with Smoove on this one! No need to participate in the tourny if your not 100%.

I agree about JJ. So it is more important for JJ to make the allstar game at the expense of our team. I hope that those games the Woody played him extended minutes even tough we were losing don't comeback and hurt us in the later part of the season.

Ridiculous. Woody needs to be fired. That's a pathetic attempt at spin. We all know the truth... Woody is terrible at managing his bench. The last two games have proved that we have enough talent without JJ on the court to be competitive in the nba. Imagine how much better along Law and Solo would be if they had been getting 10 minutes a game, every game this season.

Other coaches around the league must look at Woody in utter fascination because of his stupidity. It's like watching a car crash..you just can't look away.

If Woody is gonna do whatever Joe wants then Joe needs to at least be smart about it and wait til he's 100% before coming back. Unfortunately I'm sure if he is able to stand he'll put himself in the game. sigh. I really wish Joe would sit out til after the allstar break.

You gotta give Woody some credit for bringing the defensive mindset to this team. That's when we have an identity when we are playing D.

But man sometimes he says some things that are not defensible and remind you that in many ways we have to win in spite of him.

The All Star Game Woody? Seriously? LOL

Well hopefully Joe doesn't play until after the all-star break.

But man that's just silly.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

Cue some Woody suppporter spinning this...

I cant believe this joke of a coach said that. Just wow.

And ex, that gif is PERFECT!

It's hard to defend that.

The ONLY thing I can think of that would have led to that logic of lack thereof of Woody is that the All-Star Game is in Phoenix and it would have been even extra special for Joe Johnson's return to Phoenix be as a starter on the All-STar squad.

That really would have been a great story, especially if he could have done something crazy like win All-STar Game MVP.

But yeah that was a pipe dream all the way with as crappy as the voting for the All-STar game is by the fans