• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The dynamic of Marvin not playing.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Either we're 5-0 without Marvin or 9-1... does it matter?

The point is that there's a different dynamic when he doesn't play. This is what I believe may be that dynamic.

Woody plays Flip more and moves Joe to Sf.

Joe chews up wing players. Did you see him dominate Posey? Posey is a darn good defender.. he just can't stop Joe. Joe is as strong as any wing and he handles the ball better than most can defend.. and his footwork is better.

The other side of that equation is:

Zaza plays C and Horf moves to PF and Smoove plays SF.

Our big frontcourt kinda dominates other teams because Horf is a better PF than he is a C.... AND it's a contract year for Zaza.

The first is hard to quantify, but I would like to see Zaza stats from Missing Marvin games.

Did anybody see the 4th qtr Zaza ownage of Tyson Chandler. Chandler comes into the game and immediately, Zaza gets a step on him and BOOOM dunk in his face. I stood up!! That was a I want 5 Million per dunk!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Does Marvin have any single great skill, or is he servicable in all areas but not overly impressive in any? I am not a numbers guy, but the numbers 9-1 don't lie. On the surface, it just seems as if there are 5 guys on the court with well-defined roles and parameters without Marvin, who seems to focus on certain parts of his game and press them on any given night while probably disregarding another facet that he can bring to the court because he's caught up in what he didn't do last night or the scouting report on his opposing forward and what people think he should do. Tonight just seemed like there was crisper, free-flowing movement on offense. I think Marvin is the weakest passer for his position of the starting 5, so it probably improves ball movement without him also. Simply, substituting Marvin for Mo gives us years of experience and savvy, something you can never have too much of. Marvin is a damn good defender with size being his best ally, same with Mo and his lateral foot speed. Zaza's looking better and better in his contract year. Moving Al to the 4 removes him from being a solid, steadying force into a propelling, game-changing one, so I am sure all Hawks fans want all avenues exhausted to permanently fix him at the 4. I have no problem with Joe at 2 or 3, although I much rather have Josh stuck at the 3. While we all know that Marvin is making strides, his team's W-L record without him won't help him the least bit in free agency. Sund knows 100 times as much as I do about hoopin, so it will be interseting to see how he and other GM's view his value and play their hand when it comes to Marvin this summer.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

This is only the 2nd game of the season that the Hawks have won by more than 3 points without Marvin. The other was the first game of the season vs. the Magic.

Personally, I think the Hawks' record w/o Marvin is more a credit to Sund for taking care of the perimeter depth than anything else. Evans and Murray are solid reserves, capable of filling in for a short period of time in the absence of a starter like Bibby or Marvin.

I think it's clear than Evans and Murray are underrated for their defensive ability on this board.

Interesting. Does Marvin have any single great skill, or is he servicable in all areas but not overly impressive in any? I am not a numbers guy, but the numbers 9-1 don't lie. On the surface, it just seems as if there are 5 guys on the court with well-defined roles and parameters without Marvin, who seems to focus on certain parts of his game and press them on any given night while probably disregarding another facet that he can bring to the court because he's caught up in what he didn't do last night or the scouting report on his opposing forward and what people think he should do. Tonight just seemed like there was crisper, free-flowing movement on offense. I think Marvin is the weakest passer for his position of the starting 5, so it probably improves ball movement without him also. Simply, substituting Marvin for Mo gives us years of experience and savvy, something you can never have too much of. Marvin is a damn good defender with size being his best ally, same with Mo and his lateral foot speed. Zaza's looking better and better in his contract year. Moving Al to the 4 removes him from being a solid, steadying force into a propelling, game-changing one, so I am sure all Hawks fans want all avenues exhausted to permanently fix him at the 4. I have no problem with Joe at 2 or 3, although I much rather have Josh stuck at the 3. While we all know that Marvin is making strides, his team's W-L record without him won't help him the least bit in free agency. Sund knows 100 times as much as I do about hoopin, so it will be interseting to see how he and other GM's view his value and play their hand when it comes to Marvin this summer.

Marvin hasn't even missed 10 games. Our team looked pretty good without Joe too. the difference is guys like Acie would have been glued to the bench if everybody was available to play and the starters would have played more,not getting much rest. and it's kinda funny how all of your posts are novels lol

Edited by Cwell

Interesting. Does Marvin have any single great skill, or is he servicable in all areas but not overly impressive in any?

I don't mean to disregard the rest of your post (which I think was good)....but I would put Marvin a notch above "serviceable" Still it's a tough question - Marvin does seem to dissappear too often?? I dunno - who you gonna put your faith in at the three? JS is no guarrantee either.

• Premium Member
Tonight just seemed like there was crisper, free-flowing movement on offense. I think Marvin is the weakest passer for his position of the starting 5, so it probably improves ball movement without him also. Simply, substituting Marvin for Mo gives us years of experience and savvy, something you can never have too much of.

I use to think that you paid attention to the game but now I have to question my evaluation of you. Here are some numbers to chew on to refute your hypothesis. That crisp passing free flowing offense that you talked about tonight resulted in 17 assist while the hawks normally average 20.5 per game. And that savvy Mo Evans that you talked about had a grand total of zero. The difference tonight sir is that our starting power forward is starting to rebound to his capabilities and our star made his shots tonight.

Joe chews up wing players. Did you see him dominate Posey? Posey is a darn good defender.. he just can't stop Joe. Joe is as strong as any wing and he handles the ball better than most can defend.. and his footwork is better.

Posey was guarding JJ last year in the playoffs too. JJ was playing the 2 then. Bottom line is that the best perimeter defender will be on JJ regardless of whether he plays the 2 or the 3.

Those 3 were on the court together for a total of 3 minutes.

hugedick20copy.jpg

• Premium Member
I have no problem with Joe at 2 or 3, although I much rather have Josh stuck at the 3.

And this is the same guy that created countless number of post bashing Joe Johnson last month. And you want Josh Smith at the three? You mush be impressed with his 3 point range. Listen your whole post was a joke and it tells me that you either deserve to be in the same category with the many agenda driven posters on this board or you just don't understand basketball!

Either we're 5-0 without Marvin or 9-1... does it matter?

The point is that there's a different dynamic when he doesn't play. This is what I believe may be that dynamic.

Woody plays Flip more and moves Joe to Sf.

The other side of that equation is:

Our big frontcourt kinda dominates other teams because Horf is a better PF than he is a C.... AND it's a contract year for Zaza.

The first is hard to quantify, but I would like to see Zaza stats from Missing Marvin games.

Did anybody see the 4th qtr Zaza ownage of Tyson Chandler. Chandler comes into the game and immediately, Zaza gets a step on him and BOOOM dunk in his face. I stood up!! That was a I want 5 Million per dunk!

The truth is that the Hawks are 9-1 when Mo Evans starts; and two of those starts were in the place of Joe Johnson. Diesel, you could have at least gotten the facts straight before you started another one of your useless agenda posts!

The truth is that the Hawks are 9-1 when Mo Evans starts; and two of those starts were in the place of Joe Johnson. Diesel, you could have at least gotten the facts straight before you started another one of your useless agenda posts!

The 9-1 was my mistake. I heard Bob Rathburn incorrectly on the game earlier tonight.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Just more Marvin hate.

They dynamic of Marvin not playing..lol.

We just cant take a hard earned win. Its always something. We just cant say..."The team played good tonight and people stepped up when given their chance today" or " Josh didnt shoot well from the field but he a was force on the defensive end and on the boards." Its always since a certain player was out. What type of fans do we have here.

Tonight was a nice hard earn win against a good team and our defensive intensity was raised tonight at home. I was really proud of the team tonight. Bibby couldnt hit crap but hit a 3 that sealed the game. He came through in the clutch.

Like Duff Man said " On Hawksquawk even a win is a lost."

• Premium Member
Just more Marvin hate.

They dynamic of Marvin not playing..lol.

We just cant take a hard earned win. Its always something. We just cant say..."The team played good tonight and people stepped up when given their chance today" or " Josh didnt shoot well from the field but he a was force on the defensive end and on the boards." Its always since a certain player was out. What type of fans do we have here.

Like Duff Man said " On Hawksquawk even a win is a lost."

Its a very silly fan base!

• Premium Member
Did we win tonight?

yep but only because of Mo Evan's stellar play in place of that loser Marvin Williams. Maybe we should start more thread highlighting how Marvin is the reason Josh Smith stopped rebounding and blocking shot or Marvin is the reason Joe Johnson's shooting percentage dipped in January. Now all is corrected with Marvin's injury! Had Woodson known that Marvin was the cause of all of these things, he would have made up a phantom Speedy injury long time ago!

yep but only because of Mo Evan's stellar play in place of that loser Marvin Williams. Maybe we should start more thread highlighting how Marvin is the reason Josh Smith stopped rebounding and blocking shot or Marvin is the reason Joe Johnson's shooting percentage dipped in January. Now all is corrected with Marvin's injury! Had Woodson known that Marvin was the cause of all of these things, he would have made up a phantom Speedy injury long time ago!

LOL since we are 9-1 without Marvin this year :rolleyes: