• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks reportedly shopping Smoove

txsting

Corrected. It is a pretty safe bet that it wasn't the Memphis GM that came up with the trade kicker. It was almost certainly Smiths agent who probably wasn't happy with the Hawks refusal to negotiate.

If Smith is traded the Hawks might have to include some cash to take the sting out of the trade kicker.

If they are shopping smith i seriously doubt it would be for a salary dump since his contract isn't bad relative to his production and talent.

But Wallace must have surely known that we'd match that contract seeing as it wasn't in the least outlandish considering Smith's production and had to of negotiated that trade kicker along with Smith's agent in the first place. I say Memphis' GM was involved because not soon after the season started they signed Darius Miles to screw up Portlands cap.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Wallace must have surely known that we'd match that contract seeing as it wasn't in the least outlandish considering Smith's production and had to of negotiated that trade kicker along with Smith's agent in the first place. I say Memphis' GM was involved because not soon after the season started they signed Darius Miles to screw up Portlands cap.

Wallace aggreed to the trade kicker because he knew it wouldn't hurt him, but it wasn't his idea.

Smiths agent gets a cut of that trade kicker if Smith gets traded. Wallace doesn't.

• Premium Member

Just got a text from my inside source. He said the Smoove rumor is just that...rumor. He still thinks that Joe is more likely to me moved.

For all of Smith's faults, he remains the Hawks second best player. Getting rid of him does not make any sense from a basketball perspective unless they are getting some real talent in return.

Yes Horford and Marvin have more "coachability" but neither has turned the corner from promising prospect/contributer to playmaker. Smith is the only one of the young guys brought in during the past six years to demonstrate an ability to truly impact a game. Given Smith's "reputation" I just don't see how they can get equal value in return.

Who knows, it is not like they are world beaters anyway.

For all of Smith's faults, he remains the Hawks second best player. Getting rid of him does not make any sense from a basketball perspective unless they are getting some real talent in return.

Of course.

I do not think we are trying to give him away in a salary dump. I think we are trying to get better with a Bosh like trade.

• Moderators
If the Hawks trade Josh Smith in favor of keeping Mike Woodson, I'll never again watch another Hawks' game. Mike Woodson is not the kind of coach you get rid of players for. You bring in a much better coach than Woodson, see how Josh Smith responds, and then you get rid of Smith if he can't get his act together.

I won't stop watching the team, but I totally agree that we need a new coach before we give Josh Smith away for any reason other than we are improving the team via trade.

• Moderators
Until proven otherwise, I just don't believe the "the Hawks' owners are cheap" line.

Even though I don't really have much of a beef with what the owners have done, I think they are at the point of proving they are NOT cheap. Since spending money on Joe they have spent a pretty minimal amount of money for an nba team with our cap situation. We did trade for Bibby (only paying him for a year plus a little) and were pretty much forced into re-signing Smoove (meaning I think they knew that not matching would doom the franchise's ability to attract players) . Other than that we've been combing the bargain bins for players.

The title of the link is more along the lines of what I'm believing ... "Chances J. Smith gets moved for picks". I don't believe that's a salary dump, I think that's a move to get high into the lottery and come away with a veteran who can be productive for us and make the salary swap work. I don't know who that could be but if Smith could get us the #2 or #3 pick plus a quality veteran I'd have to consider it. That would give us a chance to draft the best PG or C in the draft (if you consider Griffin is a PF in the NBA) plus we can take the BPA at 19 and hopefully get a solid veteran in the trade.

As others have said if this is purely a salary dump then I'd be extremely ticked off but I really don't see that being the case and while I'd hate to see Josh blossom someplace else I'm just not sure his value will ever be much higher than it is now and we have to fix our issue of having 2 PFs starting for us.

• Premium Member
Even though I don't really have much of a beef with what the owners have done, I think they are at the point of proving they are NOT cheap. Since spending money on Joe they have spent a pretty minimal amount of money for an nba team with our cap situation. We did trade for Bibby (only paying him for a year plus a little) and were pretty much forced into re-signing Smoove (meaning I think they knew that not matching would doom the franchise's ability to attract players) . Other than that we've been combing the bargain bins for players.

There was no point in spending money until the trading deadline of 2008 (when the team was finally competitive). What did they do? They traded for one of the largest available salaries in Bibby, who even had a trade kicker in his contract.

And this season? The payroll was at $68M.

(And I don't blame them for trying to get out of paying Claxton).

If they're cheap, they've sucked at it for the last 1.5 years.

There was no point in spending money until the trading deadline of 2008 (when the team was finally competitive). What did they do? They traded for one of the largest available salaries in Bibby, who even had a trade kicker in his contract.

And this season? The payroll was at $68M.

(And I don't blame them for trying to get out of paying Claxton).

If they're cheap, they've sucked at it for the last 1.5 years.

As a Thrashers fan, the ASG are cheap. As a Hawks fan, they are frugal. Bottom line, the owners don't have deep wallets like some of the other owners in the NBA, so they have to skimp and save where they can. I hope that once the legal battle is over they can find another investor to take up the 30% that they expected Belkin to cover.

In terms of trading Smith, I think its for improving the roster. There were signs throughout the season that players and coaches were frustrated with Smith free-lancing on offense and being indifferent for long stretches.

Trading Smith for a center or top caliber PG would be a major coup for Sund.

I guess Horford's performance in the playoffs, showed the ownership he was ready to take the next step in devolopment.

If true...Smoove doesn't have a shortage of interest.

What a joke this franchise is...

Some of the fans are a joke too. Like the ones who do not even recognize when a guy was playing injured.

Why is the franchise a joke b/c they are listening to trade offers ? Is that not what GM's are supposed to do ? What if we bring in a young allstar to replace Smoove like a Bosh or Stoudemire ? What if we bring in Thabeet and a veteran to better round out the roster ?

Horford was playing injured in the playoffs, and he's irrelevant to this discussion.

I still say that Bynum -for- Smith makes a lot of sense if you must trade Josh.

Horford is relevant IMO...

The idea of trading Smoove (if true), is not even a thought...if Al is not deemed a suitable replacement. (which I don't believe he is)

The Lakers win, in a Smoove for Bynum trade...

Some of the fans are a joke too. Like the ones who do not even recognize when a guy was playing injured.

Why is the franchise a joke b/c they are listening to trade offers ? Is that not what GM's are supposed to do ? What if we bring in a young allstar to replace Smoove like a Bosh or Stoudemire ? What if we bring in Thabeet and a veteran to better round out the roster ?

Count me, as the Joker...because injuries became the exuse during the playoffs, what was it before?

Listening to offers and initiating talks...are 2 seperate methods. You said bring in Bosh or Stoudemire but the next sentence...you said "better round out the roster" Aren't these guys PFs

Trade the expiring contract of Joe...if you wanna make the team better.

• Premium Member
The Lakers win, in a Smoove for Bynum trade...

Only if Bynum can't stay healthy.

Per36 -

Bynum: 17.8 ppg, 9.9 rebs, 2.2 blks, 60% TS

Smith: 16.0 ppg, 7.4 rebs, 1.7 blks, 53% TS

Salary comparison (Smith with trade kicker v. Bynum)

Year 1: 12.6M v. 12.5M

Year 2: 13.4M v. 13.8M

Year 3: 14.2M v. 15.2M

Year 4: 15.0M v. 16.5M (team option)

Plus, with Gasol successfully defending the top center in the game, the idea of moving Bynum wouldn't be a disaster for LA.

Listening to offers and initiating talks...are 2 seperate methods. You said bring in Bosh or Stoudemire but the next sentence...you said "better round out the roster" Aren't these guys PFs

"Round out the roster" was refering to Thabeet (a true 7'3'' center) and a veteran. I also like the idea of Bynum from the Lakers that some guys have thrown out.

Bosh and Stoudemire are both young allstars who are 10 X more consistent then Smith is. If we could get one of them to sign a contract extension it would be a great deal. From the way Stoudemire talks about Atlanta all the time he may be willing to do it.

Edited by coachx