Bibby signs! 3yrs/18mil - per AJC

ryandauwalker

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

That's one hell of a pay cut. To go from $15 mil last year to $6 mil this year has to hurt some. Can't cry for him though seeing that I probably wont make 1/6 of that $6 mil in my lifetime.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

That's one hell of a pay cut. To go from $15 mil last year to $6 mil this year has to hurt some. Can't cry for him though seeing that I probably wont make 1/6 of that $6 mil in my lifetime.

Poor Bibby. His pay falls from $15 Million per year to $18 Million for three years.

$33 Million for four years work.

After taxes and all the expenses involved with being an NBA player, he probably will

only get to keep half of that for himself. Still, $3 Million net per year. That would

buy a lot of beans and corn flakes, wouldn't it!

Glad we got the deal done! And, considering what NBA players make, reasonable.

:biggrin:

Props to Sund, Bibby, and the ASG...............this speaks wonders to other free agents that a veteran like Bibby would fully desire to come back to Atlanta as his #1 option. It also speaks volumes to the rest of the NBA that Sund would iron out a deal for his veteran leader so early in the FA process.

I love this and think other players and agents are taking notes as to where this franchise is right now.

That fact that he is meeting with Chillz, Marvin, ZaZa's agent today is great news too. It makes it easy and hard on Sund to deal with one common agent for all 3 players. He cannot really play many games of leverage since there is a common agent.

This is not a status-quo move.........this is a huge sign to the rest of hte NBA that the Atlanta Hawks are back and serious about contending for the long term.

Go Hawks !

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
Props to Sund, Bibby, and the ASG...............this speaks wonders to other free agents that a veteran like Bibby would fully desire to come back to Atlanta as his #1 option. It also speaks volumes to the rest of the NBA that Sund would iron out a deal for his veteran leader so early in the FA process.

I love this and think other players and agents are taking notes as to where this franchise is right now.

That fact that he is meeting with Chillz, Marvin, ZaZa's agent today is great news too. It makes it easy and hard on Sund to deal with one common agent for all 3 players. He cannot really play many games of leverage since there is a common agent.

This is not a status-quo move.........this is a huge sign to the rest of hte NBA that the Atlanta Hawks are back and serious about contending for the long term.

Go Hawks !

Co-signed. Now if he can just manage to convince Chillz to return...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...ibby_hawks.html

+1 for Sund... Very reasonable contract.

I wonder if we could have paid him a little more if we might get him to play some defense? Probaby not but considering the defensive deficiencies I think it's not a terrible deal. Think he will be playing in 3 years or looking like Speedy Claxton on the end of the bench?

Hawk88

Kudos to both sides in this deal. This is a steal of a deal for Rick Sund, and this deal ensures stability at the point guard position for the Hawks. This is also a good sign for Mike Bibby. Taking this kind of pay cut shows that he wants to be in Atlanta and continue on with something that he is a major part of. Three years is a great length for this contract as well, because if Jeff Teague is to be the future at the position, this should give him enough time to get his feet wet and learn behind Bibby.

Looking at the stats, the Hawks will be even more of a jump shooting team this season. Based on the stats at 82games.com, Mike Bibby shot jumpers 91% of the time and had a .501 eFG% on those shots. 11.6 PPG came off jumpers, and 68% of those jumpers were assisted. Joe Johnson shot jumpers 80% of the time with an eFG% of .459. 13.2 PPG came off jumpers, and 41% of those were assisted. Jamal Crawford shot jumpers 86% of the time with an eFG% of .446. 12.1 PPG cam of jumpers, and 39% of those were assisted. I'd challenge anyone to find a better jump shooting trio at guard than what the Hawks will have. I think this also ensures that Jeff Teague will get consistent playing time, because he's the only guard on the team that is a penetrator. Flip Murray got into the lane a lot last season, and that's going to be the big difference between he and Jamal Crawford. Jamal is by far the better jump shooter though. I think you will see Teague play a few minutes just as a change of pace, and we will probably see a lot of sets where Joe, Jamal, and Mike are all on the floor at the same time.

Great news!

Great job done by Rick Sund! As a GM he realy gives us confidence and assurance that we're heading in the right direction!

This is a great deal for Hawks, 3/18! I mean even the biggest optimists we're hoping for 3/15 which was realy low... I think 76ers helped as well with their 1-year offer... Bibby opted for longer term contract, security and a chance to compete!

Looking at the stats, the Hawks will be even more of a jump shooting team this season. Based on the stats at 82games.com, Mike Bibby shot jumpers 91% of the time and had a .501 eFG% on those shots. 11.6 PPG came off jumpers, and 68% of those jumpers were assisted. Joe Johnson shot jumpers 80% of the time with an eFG% of .459. 13.2 PPG came off jumpers, and 41% of those were assisted. Jamal Crawford shot jumpers 86% of the time with an eFG% of .446. 12.1 PPG cam of jumpers, and 39% of those were assisted. I'd challenge anyone to find a better jump shooting trio at guard than what the Hawks will have. I think this also ensures that Jeff Teague will get consistent playing time, because he's the only guard on the team that is a penetrator. Flip Murray got into the lane a lot last season, and that's going to be the big difference between he and Jamal Crawford. Jamal is by far the better jump shooter though. I think you will see Teague play a few minutes just as a change of pace, and we will probably see a lot of sets where Joe, Jamal, and Mike are all on the floor at the same time.

More jumpshooting will equal more L's this year. You can count on it.

• Moderators
That's exactly what I thought he was worth, nice job. Now it's official, I like the Crawford trade.

I was cringing at the thought of not having a starting PG, now I can breathe.

Absolutely. Great signing and I am very happy to have a real PG on the roster! Crawford for 6th man of the year!

That is excellent news, great job by Sund and kudos to Bibby for accepting a very reasonable deal to help us out financially. Now let's solidify the front court and get these guys into camp working with each other soon.