• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Joe throwing darts at Crawford?

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Excerpt from the AJC:

"I don't know when we all of a sudden just really became a selfish team," Johnson said. "Now everybody wants to go one-on-one. It's me, me, me. It's crazy, man."

Coach Mike Woodson called the performance "unacceptable" and was unwilling to blame it on the travel. Johnson added he's been seeing signs of trouble despite recent victories.

"Everybody who touches it wants to score," Johnson said. "I really think guys on this team don't know their roles, so it's killing us. And it's going to continue to kill us."

I think the line "Johnson added he's been seeing signs of trouble despite recent victories" has a ton of meaning.

• Moderators

He's starting to sound like a superstar. Can you believe there are guys trying to score other than Joe? I think this is directed at Smoove and Horford and maybe Teague. Interesting quotes. Crawford has been told to score the ball so I it seems he knows his role.

• Premium Member

Excerpt from the AJC:

"I don't know when we all of a sudden just really became a selfish team," Johnson said. "Now everybody wants to go one-on-one. It's me, me, me. It's crazy, man."

Coach Mike Woodson called the performance "unacceptable" and was unwilling to blame it on the travel. Johnson added he's been seeing signs of trouble despite recent victories.

"Everybody who touches it wants to score," Johnson said. "I really think guys on this team don't know their roles, so it's killing us. And it's going to continue to kill us."

I think the line "Johnson added he's been seeing signs of trouble despite recent victories" has a ton of meaning.

Didn't this parade pass through like a week ago?

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/340959-emo-joe-is-at-again/

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

slight difference niremetal.

The original post had a rather obtuse title while the latest post presents a direct question.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I explained this in that Josh Smith praising thread. If it was directed at anybody, it was directed at Josh Smith.

In that Charlotte game, Smoove picked up 2 fouls within the first 2 minutes of the game. So he had to go to the bench. Woody brings him back with about 8 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, and the Hawks down by 3.

I guess he felt the need to get his shots up, because that's exactly what he started to do as the Charlotte lead grew to about 8 points.

From the 5 minute mark to the 1 minute mark, Smoove attempts to score 6 times ( takes 5 shots ). Conversely, JJ's last shot in that quarter came with about 5 minutes to go. This, after scoring 11 points so far in the game.

Hawks find themselves down double digits at halftime.

Now the decifit isn't all Smoove's fault. But the fact that he looked to score that many times in that short of a span, isn't what his role is at all on this team.

So what happens in the 3rd quarter? Virtually the same thing. He looks to score another 7 times within a 6 - 7 minute stretch, jacking up about 3 jumpers in the process.

So that's about 13 times he looked to score within a 12 minute span ( with almost all of those scoring chances being off one-on-one or open jumper opportunities. ). I think he was 4 - 11 FG during this stretch, while drawing a foul on a shot attempt 2 other times ( not counting the and-1 ).

That's not his role on this team at all. His scoring opportunties should come within the flow of the game. Like it or not, only JJ and Crawford should be forcing offensive looks at times, because they can still actually be effective in doing so. Smith can't.

In the Denver game, Smith scored a ton of points and had arguably the best game of his career. But almost all of his scoring chances were within the flow of the game. That wasn't the case in Charlotte.

I don't think JJ has a problem with Crawford at all. I think his problem is with Smoove's inconsistency, immaturity, and wildness at times, especially on the offensive end.

Like I said a few days ago, JJ was probably restating publically what Woody probably told "the team" in the locker room.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 3

I have seen JJ on the bench cheering while Crawford is going off. I seriously doubt JJ is taking shots at Crawford already especially considering how well Crawford has been playing.

And considering how well Crawford has been at finding open guys. His passing has been far better than I expected. Yes, he takes his shots, but if someone is open, he loves finding that guy for an easy bucket. So far, JC has added a nice new dimension to our team. Joe would be hard pressed to fault JC for anything so far.

And considering how well Crawford has been at finding open guys. His passing has been far better than I expected. Yes, he takes his shots, but if someone is open, he loves finding that guy for an easy bucket. So far, JC has added a nice new dimension to our team. Joe would be hard pressed to fault JC for anything so far.

JJ knows this team isn't 5-2 without Crawford.

It should also be noted that JJ has a financial incentive in the team's success. If he leads the Hawks to 50+ wins that will certainly help his cause in the offseason.

I think that its great the JJ is finally starting to become a Diva. That means that he now "wants" to be the #1 guy.

And hopefully not forgetting what's really important. Selfless team basketball. Making players around you better.

Of course it's directed at Smoove. Smoove is doing these commercials with the NBA elite and being hyped as the next big superstar. He's putting up numbers, see Denver, that will give him all-star consideration if they remotely continue. He hasn't taken any 3 pointers this year, yet, because it appears he's finally learned it's not a strength.

Which begs the question? How many all-stars can the Hawks have? I suppose having two make the team is a possibility with our recent moderate success....but it's doubtful. How would it look in around the NBA, as far as JJ in probably his last big contract year, if Jamal Crawford steals the limelight and Smoove makes the All-Star team? Not good. JJ is being more vocal now than he has EVER been. It's kind of shocking actually, compared to his previous years as a Hawk. And, it's also shady. I'm not buying in to this "he's finally acting like a superstar". I'm sure its part of it, but I find it ironic that it's a contract year, a BIG contract year, and now he's starting to be critical of coaches and players?

And hopefully not forgetting what's really important. Selfless team basketball. Making players around you better.

Thank you for stating my sentiments exactly Duff. I am curious to see how this plays out. I cant understand if JJ is finally doing all this to add to his contract worth or if he is truly trying to make us a better team. I guess we will just have to stay tuned........

Of course it's directed at Smoove. Smoove is doing these commercials with the NBA elite and being hyped as the next big superstar. He's putting up numbers, see Denver, that will give him all-star consideration if they remotely continue. He hasn't taken any 3 pointers this year, yet, because it appears he's finally learned it's not a strength.

Which begs the question? How many all-stars can the Hawks have? I suppose having two make the team is a possibility with our recent moderate success....but it's doubtful. How would it look in around the NBA, as far as JJ in probably his last big contract year, if Jamal Crawford steals the limelight and Smoove makes the All-Star team? Not good. JJ is being more vocal now than he has EVER been. It's kind of shocking actually, compared to his previous years as a Hawk. And, it's also shady. I'm not buying in to this "he's finally acting like a superstar". I'm sure its part of it, but I find it ironic that it's a contract year, a BIG contract year, and now he's starting to be critical of coaches and players?

I think you guys are making more out of this than it is. Smoove was interviewed on NBA TV following the DEN game and he was asked about JJ's statement regarding their lack of effort/execution during the CHA game. Smoove said he hadn't heard or read JJ's comments but he agreed with JJ's comments and that he had no problem with JJ saying it. When pressed about whether JJ should have said it to the team or the media, Smoove acknowledged that he would have preferred JJ say it behind closed doors but that he respected JJ's right as Captain to say it however he chose to.

I too think Northcyde's take on the situation is right on although I don't think Smoove was JJ's only target. I think JJ was frustrated with multiple people's effort/execution in that game and rightfully so. CHA bullied us in that game as they always seem to do and none of our guys responded to the challenge.

I don't buy it either. We couldn't get a peep out of JJ in years past, and now all of a sudden he wants to sound off on our team. Puh-lease! I'm all for him being more vocal, but back up what you preach. He has been one of our most consistently selfish players. Over-dribbling, forcing up tougher shots when he doesn't have to, too many one-on-ones, throwing up terrible shots. JJ, I am not interested in that kinda talk. You wanna be a superstar? You wanna be THE Leader? Ok, fine. Do what superstars do. Do what team leaders do. Throw some of that blame on yourself, include your name when you speak of the team. And please, do not even give the impression that you are throwing your own teammates under the bus.

Thanks.

Dude you nailed my sentiments to a tee!!! JJ is acting real shady right now!!

+1

This guy is sounding like a real prick right now. He knows shot attempts will be lower than expected (should be) and he's still putting up the same attempts per game as last year...

He is shooting 25% from 3 and didn't mention the fact Raja freaking Bell lit his *ss up in every single way in Charlotte.