• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks lead NBA with the fewest turnovers per game

coachx

During last nights game John Barry stated the Hawks turn the ball over less then any other team in he NBA. He went on to say how remarkable that a team as young as the Hawks, and who play at a fast pace as the Hawks, can lead the league with the fewest turnovers per game. Then he went on about Al Horford's PG skills. "Who needs a PG when you have a center like that who can bring the ball up and find open shots for guys."

I was also very happy to see all of our starters played less then 30 minutes and Teague got plenty of run with 21 minutes. Barry also said that its vital to keep Bibby fresh for the playoffs. Of course we know this is the case for JJ too. Hopefully Teague can keep playing well and earn quality time.

It was refreshing to hear guys like Mark Jackson and John Barry break down the game as they get much deeper then what we are used to.

Edited by coachx

Of course Woodson will get no credit for the fact that the team turns the ball over little. For how much people complain about iso joe, it keeps the ball in the hands of the best offensive players until the defense is unsettled. The Hawks are also middle of the pack as far as assist percentage goes so its not like the team just refuses to pass.

Edited by spotatl

• Moderators

Of course Woodson will get no credit for the fact that the team turns the ball over little. For how much people complain about iso joe, it keeps the ball in the hands of the best offensive players until the defense is unsettled. The Hawks are also middle of the pack as far as assist percentage goes so its not like the team just refuses to pass.

The low turnovers are an upside of the iso offense. Less ball movement = fewer turnovers. Woodson should get credit for that just as much as criticism for the system he has chosen.

Other than ISO Joe or whatever you guys call it, you have to also look at the fact that we are running very clean inbounds plays, and our fast breaks have been effective and relatively cleanly run. That's a good sign.

Other than ISO Joe or whatever you guys call it, you have to also look at the fact that we are running very clean inbounds plays, and our fast breaks have been effective and relatively cleanly run. That's a good sign.

I noticed that too. We run some really good breaks. Of course Smoove helps with his aerial act. But, I give a lot of credit to our big guys in general. Remember when we had guys like Willis and Mutombo who had spatulas for hands? Outside of Zaza our bigs are sure handed.

• Premium Member

The low turnovers are an upside of the iso offense.  Less ball movement = fewer turnovers.  Woodson should get credit for that just as much as criticism for the system he has chosen.

Excellent point.

I would have Mr. Barry note that the Hawks are 20th in pace.  

The hawks are the best in league at not turning the ball over (pace adjusted) by a big margin. The difference between the hawks and second place is the same as the difference between 2nd place and 18th place teams. The Hawks are up to being a top 3 pace adjusted offfense this season and the lack of turnovers has a lot to do with it. For how much people get all warm and fuzzy when they see lots of ball movement that does have the downside of often putting the ball in the hands of lousy offensive players and making them do something with the ball.

Edited by spotatl

Another thing is that Smith has been playing smarter and more under control this year. He was a turnover machine in the past but he is not trying to do as much and not making bad decisions out there.

That's the big one for me. Smith used to commit quite a few turnovers on the fast break, by either trying to do too much, or because he wasn't aware of people coming from behind him to poke the ball away. That, and he's not trying to lead every fast break.

• Premium Member

The hawks are the best in league at not turning the ball over (pace adjusted) by a big margin. The difference between the hawks and second place is the same as the difference between 2nd place and 18th place teams. The Hawks are up to being a top 3 pace adjusted offfense this season and the lack of turnovers has a lot to do with it. For how much people get all warm and fuzzy when they see lots of ball movement that does have the downside of often putting the ball in the hands of lousy offensive players and making them do something with the ball.

We don't have a bad ballhandler on the team that gets minutes. Our bigs have very good hands on top of that which really cuts down on turnovers.

Missing from this thread:

1. The fact that Josh has seemingly learned to pass more effectively.

2. Crawford (for all his one-on-one game) is a pretty good passer.

3. Horford has been making some nice passes as well. Last night he was brilliant at times.

I know I am missing some guys, but from a few years ago when it seemed we turned it over 20 times a game, this team has been a joy to watch.

I think Bibby is the Kyle Orton of the Hawks. He is not great and has his limits, but he is a steady ball handler and sort of a coach on the court. I think he is the biggest reason for the lack of turnovers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbaassists&qual=true&sort=astto&league=nba&split=0&season=2010&seasontype=2&avg=48&pos=all

Bibby is 5th in the NBA in A/T.