• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

WOW - what happened to the Squawk?

gsuteke

Between work and the Holidays I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like. I've checked in periodically.

What I"m asking myself at this point is "what happened to the Squawk?"

This place was on fire with enthusiasm about the home team. On fire.

Hey I'm not saying anyone whose saying bad things about the team is wrong. I watched them blow up in the 4th quarter and I couldn't believe they went 9 minutes without scoring to start the quarter. 9 minutes, are you serious? LOL has that ever been done before? I watched Verajao hit that ridiculous 3 pointer to beat the Hawks after they'd squandered a 17 point lead. I've got DVR now, it's awesome. I watched them look like complete fools against Nate Robinson 2 days ago. I saw it. It was all ugly. Extremely ugly in fact.

However

This place is going nuts. Fire the coach. Joe quit on us. The refs hate us. Ownership is holding us back. Bibby is killing us. The Hawks are dead.

Just two weeks ago everyone outside of a few miscreants were tickled to death with the Hawks, myself included.

Hey I'm pissed just like you all are and we should be. Especially if you're a season ticket holder. Accountability is big with me. However you need to ask yourself at this point in the season if you're getting your blood pressure up a little early. I think it's a legitimate point. The team has been playing terribly as of late but there are the same guys on the roster that were there 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1

Between work and the Holidays I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like. I've checked in periodically.

Hey I'm not saying anyone whose saying bad things about the team is wrong. I watched them blow up in the 4th quarter and I couldn't believe they went 9 minutes without scoring to start the quarter. 9 minutes, are you serious? LOL has that ever been done before? I watched Verajao hit that ridiculous 3 pointer to beat the Hawks after they'd squandered a 17 point lead. I've got DVR now, it's awesome. I watched them look like complete fools against Nate Robinson 2 days ago. I saw it. It was all ugly. Extremely ugly in fact.

However

This place is going nuts. Fire the coach. Joe quit on us. The refs hate us. Ownership is holding us back. Bibby is killing us. The Hawks are dead.

Just two weeks ago everyone outside of a few miscreants were tickled to death with the Hawks, myself included.

Hey I'm pissed just like you all are and we should be. Especially if you're a season ticket holder. Accountability is big with me. However you need to ask yourself at this point in the season if you're getting your blood pressure up a little early. I think it's a legitimate point. The team has been playing terribly as of late but there are the same guys on the roster that were there 2 weeks ago.

Its called coming back down to reality. December was suppose to be an easy month in which we could have given ourselves some breathing room to get ready for this month. We went 9 and 5 which is respectable but our competition did not help us out...seems like we are playing down now and several teams are starting to hit pretty good strides.

This month is going to be a test; and it would not suprise me one bit if we lost every road game this month except the one against the Wizards.

Edited by Buzzard

However

With the month ahead, they couldn't afford to drop 5 out of the last 7 games and losing to the Knicks TWICE at home kills a teams creditability.

Gambler's fallacy Teke.

Layman's law of averages was bound to reassert itself sooner or later.

The Squawk thrives on doom & gloom.

Endlessly annoying, but true.

Well Bob its a fact we have gone through decades of our best seasons being 1st and 2nd round losses; and even though we have a decent core, these losses to lesser teams do not give us a lot of hope for doing any better this season.

Its great to be competitive again, even if that means losing close games to the likes of the Knicks. But damn I wish we could start showing enough promise to get past the 2nd round.

• Premium Member

We haven't even hit the halfway mark yet though. I just don't get the mentality around here sometimes. EVERY team hits slumps from time to time and it's not unusual for great teams to lose to bad or mediocre teams in the NBA. I'm not so sure these recent losses are an indication of what kind of postseason the Hawks will have. The Hawks will make the necessary adjustments to get the 4th quarter under control because that has been the common factor in these last three losses. Well, that and the refs, but the Hawks can't control that. I just think it's a little too early to push the panic button. At the end of the day, the Hawks look like a much improved team. The Hawks have a great home record and a +.500 road record. The team is on pace to win 50+ games. The Hawks have a VERY real chance to get to the Eastern Conference Finals and be competitive with any team they face there as long as they can get these 4th quarter issues under control. Guys, being "realistic" doesn't alway mean being negative. If you look at this team's improvement and consider the FACT we're not even halfway through a very long season, there's plenty to be encouraged about.

The Hawks' awful losses this year were actually all you could ask for as a coach: make someone other than the focal points beat you, just happens they have a few times (J.R. Smith instead of Anthony, Robinson instead of Harrington/Lee, Verajao, Ilgauskus wit his sorry a#@, and the refs instead of LeBron). I'm not worried at all, but losing to the Knicks at home is cause for a little concern, which can all be erased if and when we smash Miami.

Teke.....you of all people shouldn't be surprised. This forum should be renamed "What Have You Done For Me Lately"? This is what a 3 game losing streak does to this place. Once we get back to wining again, all will be well. Everyone just needs to look at our record at this time last year vs what it is now. Also look at our road record compared to last year. We are still improving. True, some night we look like last year's Hawks, but that doesn't happen too often. Big week coming up and a win on Fri vs Boston will go a long way to getting good vibes going again.

Edited by JackB1

That last game vs. Cleveland really "took the wind out of my sail" so to speak. Not b/c of the Hawks but b/c of how transparently corrupt the NBA is.

That Hawks game in Cleveland was a travesty along the same lines as that Kings / Lakers series back in 02 or 03.

Its tough to get into this league if your team does not have Lebron, Kobe, Anthony, or soon to be Durant. I guess that is why many Atlantans cheer for 1 player over their home town team. Maybe they are smarter then me since they know the league is corrupt and its a waiste of time and emotion to get attached to a team without a top 5 star since they have little chance of beating the refs and a team with a top #5 star on it.