• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Predict the next 5 games

Admin

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This would be a good time to finally get a win over SA. Despite their record, they have NOT beat many teams with winning records this season. The Hawks are better off if Duncan plays because if he is out, that gives Parker the chance to go off like he did last year. I think they'll either go 3-2 squeezing out a solid trip, or they will have a terrible trip and go 1-4.

• Premium Member

Good poll. Here's how I see it:

@Houston

We are going to lose this game against the Rockets. There's something about that team... They just do more with less. They play well together and the last time we played, they gave us a fit and we barely won. I see us going in there and getting beat. Not a blowout, but an otherwise convincing loss.

@San Antonio

I think we match up pretty good. We've gone in there and played well, but have had those moments of collapse. We are clearly a different team this year and this should be a good game. I'm expecting a close win.

VS the C's

Hmmm. This is the only game I'm really unsure about. It could go either way, but I think the hype surrounding it is going to get to these guys. They're going to be TOO eager to sweep the Celts - especially with KG back. They will want to make a statement as will the C's. In the end, I think we'll just be too excited and make too many careless TO's. I also think Boston will dig in and play smothering D. We won't move the ball, we'll start taking long jumpers, etc., etc. Either we win this closely or we get blown out. I think this is going to be a blowout "statement" win by the C's.

@Orlando

We're going to win this game because of the loss against Boston and because we're tired of losing to the Magic. I have a good feeling about this one. Especially with the Magic in a little bit of a funk.

@OKC

HAH. You already know what's going to happen in this game. This is going to be one of those shoulda/woulda/coulda games where we're throwing up our hands.

Tough schedule, 3-2 I say which wouldn't be terrible.

@Rockets

I think this is a win. We barely won the Rockets game here in Atlanta when we should have beaten them easily. Our guys just didn't seem to have that much energy that game and we kind of underestimated their talent as a team. I think if we actually played them and take them seriously, we should win this one. I don't think that we'll be making the same mistake of letting them even have the chance to win the game.

@Spurs

I hate to admit it, I think this is a loss. Tony Parker has killed the Hawks and Mike Bibby multiple times. Same goes for Manu Ginobili. Richard Jefferson will probably get the better game than Marvin. Tim Duncan is going to be a handle for Josh Smith. Greg Poppovich outcoaches Mike Woodson by a mile. And they're at home, what advantage do we have over them except for youth and athleticism? The thing about the Spurs is that they don't let the other team control the tempo, they make sure that we run a half court offense.

vs.Celtics

Give me a win. I think our team will be just as determined as the Celtics to win this one. We'll be looking for a sweep like what they did last year, and the Celtics will look to not get sweep by their so called "non-rivals". The advantage we have here is that we'll be at home on a Friday night. The arena is going to be full, and it's going to be loud. Our players do great feeding of off the energy from the crowd (particularly Josh Smith, Al Horford, and Zaza).

@Orlando

A loss for this one, sadly. I would hate to lose a big game after a big win, but I believe it's gonna happen. The Magic have the mental advantage over us by blowing us out the past few times we've faced them. Dwight Howard always kills us and Stan Van Gundy knows this. He'll probably run more plays for Dwight this game.

@Thunder

Give me a win. Our players will be looking for revenge on the disappointing loss we had against them. Plus, if we do lose to Orlando, I look for this team to bounce back and beat this team. If there is any blowout in any of the five games, I'll have to guess that this is the one. We match up with them pretty well, but I think that our guys will be hunting for blood this game.

nice thread, hers now I see it

@Houston..W

The Rockets aren't that good imo, although Arron Brooks will probably have a career game, nobody on that team scares me. I think he will 99-94

@ Spurs...L

This are those kind of games that we will never win with Joe Johnson on the team. We start slow, get down, and Joe goes into hero mode. Then Woody puts in that bench of ours, and a 11 point game turns into 17,18...I say we lose 101-93..but I'm hoping otherwise.

Boston..W

...We own them. I've been saying it since September, that we own them....a Friday Night game, against the Celtics? 20,000 packed to the roof..this is Jamal Crawfords kind of game...I expect him to drop 30 off the bench. And Al is going to make a great night...Hawks win 104-101

@Orlando...W

...Call me crazy, but you have to believe Joe Johnson will be sick and tired of Craw getting all the spotlight...I think Joe scores 30+ in this one, and we prove we can beat them.

@OKC...L

....Two words, Russel Westbrook. Kevin Durrant will get his, but Russel Westbrook is a beast, and a top 7 PG in the NBA...thunder probably win, as we come down to Earth after big Celtics/Magic wins..107-102

Edited by MVP23

I think we will win every game except the Spurs game. I just don't like our chances against them on the road. The only other game that we could possibly drop is either to the magic or the celtics because of back to backs. I voted we go 4-1...but we could also go 3-2. I just really wanna see us go 4-1 ro get Woody into the all star game. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Moderators

Losses to Houston and San An... fans begin scouting for a good jumping spot from 17th Street.

Wins during Deja Vu weekend versus Boston and O-town... Hawksquawk goes quiet.

Loss to OKC... Hawksquawk explodes under the weight of all the (Trade Marvin+Fire Woody+WTF Joe) threads.

~lw3

@Orlando

We're going to win this game because of the loss against Boston and because we're tired of losing to the Magic. I have a good feeling about this one. Especially with the Magic in a little bit of a funk.

Tough schedule, 3-2 I say which wouldn't be terrible.

Funny, my thoughts line up with yours on every game except we disagree on the Orlando game in that I think we will play better than we have but will still come up short since they will be game #4 of a brutal stretch and they are a team who has owned us this year like no other. So yeah for me I see it as L, W, L, L, W and 2-3 which wouldn't be a disaster but anything worse than that would be.

I think our losses will be to the Rockets and the Magic. I can't give them the Magic game in Orlando, until they prove that they can get over whatever psychological barrier that's preventing them from even being close in the 4th quarter vs the Magic.

Brooks is a bad, bad, bad matchup for Bibby and Crawford on the defensive end, and I think that may be the difference. The one advantage that we definitely need to try to exploit, is the Horford vs Hayes matchup. Chuck is a good defender, but he's only like 6-6 . . and Adleman has him starting at center. Just pound on his azz to start the game, and see if we can build an early lead. I think Smoove was in foul trouble all game in the game vs Houston in November, which enabled Marvin to step up big time. I know he had 20 something points that game.

If we run the table leading up to the Magic game, I give us a better shot at beating them. I do expect at least 3 wins during this 5 game stretch. I'd love to sweep the Texas teams, because there's no telling how long it's been since we've done it. But if I had to choose which games to win, it'll be against San Antonio, Boston, and Orlando. I'd be disappointed a little, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them win only 2 games. The OKC game at their place will be tough as well.

Losses to Houston and San An... fans begin scouting for a good jumping spot from 17th Street.

Wins during Deja Vu weekend versus Boston and O-town... Hawksquawk goes quiet.

Loss to OKC... Hawksquawk explodes under the weight of all the (Trade Marvin+Fire Woody+WTF Joe) threads.

~lw3

LOL . . . that sounds about right.

I tell you what we might be too confident about beating the Thunder as they damn near won in Cleveland tonight and it seems like even when they lose it's a very close game. That team should not be as good as they are based on their overall talent but they play the game hard and play smart and it seems to be a pretty consistent thing too. I might have to change my prediction to 1-4 for us on this trip now.

Good news Hawksquawk - I think I finally figured out why your anger/over-react to every little thing that goes wrong attitude gets me annoyed...

Do you ever hear about a good movie... then all of your friends start raving about it... you finally go see it and it doesn't come anywhere close to your expectations? Let's say in a vacuum that movie is an 8/10. With all the hype, you go into it thinking it'll at least be a 9. Because you're disappointed it didn't meet expectations you almost grade it worse than what it actually is? So you give it a 6 or a 7 and say something like "it was ok I guess... but I'm not sure what all the fuss is.. it wasn't that good." Sound familiar?

With regard to this post (which is a GREAT one) - I've seen a few of you typically negative posters (I'm talking to you MVP23 lol) thinking we're going 3-2, etc... folks - that ain't happening. And if/when we don't go 3-2... that doesn't mean anything negative about the Hawks, Joe, Josh, whatever.

@Hou - They're the scrappiest team in the NBA. They're 13-6 at home. They have wins at home vs. Portland (before all of the injuries), Cleveland, Dallas, OKC, Dallas, New Orleans (with CP3). They've stumbled lately and are just .500 with a loss to the Bulls... However, we're still not a particularly good road team... and we definitely have moments where we're not scrappy at all. This one will be close... and the Hawks might win it... but I just figure the Rockets will get it going (as noted Brooks is a really bad match-up for us), the crowd will get into it... the Rockets will want to beat a "top 4" team from the East... and Rockets win. However... keep in perspective - Season record vs. Rockets - 1-1 with both teams winning at home.

@SAS - Spurs are definitely beatable. They've already lost their last two home games to Utah and Houston. But that may be the problem in this one. The Spus are still 25-17. They're still 17-8 at home. They're not bad enough to lose three out of four at home in a row are they? They play the Bulls the same night we play the Rockets... and you gotta figure they get a little mojo back after losing the first two on their home-stand. I just assume this one will be another close one and had it been in the ATL the Hawks would find a way to make plays and win... but in San Antonio I just figure the Spurs will make the plays late and hold on for a close victory. Saying this - I figure in March when we play the Spurs again at home... we'll get the win. So again - keep in mind: Predicted season record vs. Spurs - 1-1 with both teams winning at home.

vs. Bos - KG's back. And I just don't see the Celtics letting us go 4-0 against them. They're all probably really sick of hearing about us and I can see this one just being a statement by the Celtics. But keep in mind: Season record vs. Celtcis - 3-1.

@ORL - 2nd half of a back-to-back... coming off tough loss to Bos the night before... and in the midst of a possible 3 game losing streak? This one definitely has the potential to go South... REAL quick. Sure the boys could rally and take the same attitude that Celts will take on Friday night.. a sort of "ok guys - I'm sick of this crap." But we really don't have the crusty veteran presences to make that happen. I figure we lose this one, too. That being said - I figure we beat Orlando in March at home in our own "statement game." So... keep in mind: Predicted season record vs. Magic - 1-3.

@OKC - I figure there will definitely be a team meeting at some point... we'll be heading into Oklahoma City and be their 4th straight home game. They play Chicago, Denver and Golden State prior to us coming there... so they have the potential to have some mojo working for them by the time we walk in. We'll be bumming and slouching our shoulders... their crowd will be pumped. The Thunder will want to make a statement in their get-away game. I figure this is another tough, close loss with Durant making big buckets down the stretch and his confidence and chest bumping riling up the crowd and his teammates.

My final prediction - 0-5... a five game losing streak... a lot of quotes about from Hawks in ajc talking about "being tested, needing to rise up to challenges, this is what it's like to have a bull's eye, there are no easy ones, etc..."

(NOTE to people that don't follow the NBA - these types of crappy stretches happen all the time in an 82-game season. Sure, really "elite" teams don't have stretches like this... but we're not really "elite." We're in that next tier of "we're top four or five in a conference... and we can beat an elite team at home... but we're not really an elite team ourselves." Kinda like every other team during the Bird/Magic era. If you weren't the Celtics or the Lakers... you weren't elite. During Bulls/Pistons era - if you weren't Bulls or Pistons or Magic or Lakers... you weren't elite. I mean every era has a 2-3 "elite" teams... and everybody else is just trying to make things difficult. We're currently in an era with Lakers, Cavs, Celtics (when healthy). Everyone else is just trying to make things difficult. Denver's not elite. Neither is Orlando. Portland, Dallas, San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix... etc... none of those teams are winning a championship. However, all of those teams are definitely capable of getting a big win at home vs. an elite team... but none of those teams are elite themselves. And all of those teams are capable of having junky stretches where they lose a few in a row.)

(2nd NOTE - the Hawks will still be .500 vs a combination of HOU, SAS, BOS, ORL and OKC - who's combined record is currently 130 - 84 - which is a winning percentage of .607. That collective winning percentage would be 8th-best in the league right now. So essentially we're .500 vs a top 8 team... which would make us top-8 as well. I'm ok with that. That means we're better than 3/4 of the NBA. In perspective - that's not really a bad thing. That means there's 22 other cities that wish they had what we have. Again keeping the last 30 years of NBA basketball as a "perspective" - there's only ever 2-3 elite teams per decade. There's no shame in not being one of them.)

(3rd NOTE - you guys are right - we're only going to go as far as Joe can take us... and I've said all along - Joe is a super star... he's just not a super-duper superstar. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Gary Payton, Clyde Drexler, Alonzo Morning, Reggie Miller, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins - all were fantastic players. All got paid the BIG BUCKS. They all got Superstar money. But they never won a ring... and none of em was MIchael. Joe is kinda in the same situation. He's a fantastic player... but he's not Kobe nor LeBron. If you played in the 80's and weren't a Celtic or Laker - you likely didn't win a Championship (other than the Bad Boys finishing the decade with 2 straight... but a team like that would never win these days with the way the game is played and the emphasis on offense). In the 90's, if you weren't a Bull with MJ... or a Rocket while he played baseball - you didn't win a championship. In the 2000's - if you weren't a Laker or a Spur? You didn't win a Championship. Sure the Heat had a funky Championship in the middle of the decade... but for the most part - every era has a 2-4 teams that "elite" and everyone else is just playing to make things funky).

So.. in conclusion - I guess I now know why I think all of you guys that rail on everything and get so pissed about everything are they way you are.. you're going into the movie with too many expectations. You lack any kind of perspective. I go into our next 5 games assuming we'll be lucky to win one. If we go 0-5 my thoughts will be "meh... rough stretch, but about what I expected. We'll rebound and win our next 3 against Clips, Bulls and Wiz.. and our record will be 31-19." If we win 2 out of these 5 that's really not too bad. If we win 3 out of the 5, I'd be thrilled. But again - I have perspective. And I don't think us losing all five makes some big statement that we don't already know. If we lose 5 - what do we learn? We're pretty good, we're better than 3/4 of the NBA, but struggle a bit on the road against above average teams? Don't we already know that?

Again - not trying to diminish anything... or be any kind of buzz kill... but we already kinda know what we are at this point. We're a top 4 team in the East who's goal this season is to build off of last season and try and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals. And if we get there, we'll see what happens. 1st round in 08, 2nd round in 09... ECF in 2010... pretty organic growth. And losing 5 in a row with this schedule doesn't really mean we can't make it to Eastern Conference Finals..

In fact only thing we'll really learn is if we win a bunch of these next five. If that happens I think it means we're a little closer to the Cavs and Celtics in the East. So I look at this 5 game test as an opportunity for Hawks to show us something... but if they lose it doesn't necessarily damn the Hawks or anything... it'll pretty much confirm what we already know.

Just my .02

M

@Hou

Close win. Talent wise we're head and shoulders above them. They will hustle all day long, but it's not enough to beat 09-10 Hawks.

@SA

Loss. Wining streak on the road is still not a habit for Hawks. Spurs are fundamental sound team, they take care of the ball and have maybe best penetrating PG in the league.

vs Bos

Win. Hawks have their number. Season sweep.

@Orl

Another blow out. They have our number. Season sweep.

@OKC

Close win. Better offensive execution esp. in the paint is the key.

I think 3-2 will be success, these are all tough games.

If we play below expectations, I won't be too upset. Rick Adelman is easily the coach of the year with that group of talent, Orlando is a lost cause, and a sweep of Boston just seems too good to be true: KG is back. San Antone is the measuring stick game, how we gonna stop Tony Parker if we got mauled by Nate Robinson? We owe Oklahoma, I'm not worried about going in there.

Of course I want the sweep, but can live with 2-3, if all the games are contested throughout and we get something from Mo, Zaza, and Teague. Joe Smith, eh. We have to make Orlando at least respect us afterward.

(Woody giving Marvin a pat on the back): "We need you for this five game strecth, Marv. We can't do it without you." The rest of the starters crack a smile.

Edited by benhillboy

Excellent post JJBacker and you've hit the nail on the head as to why I created this thread in the first place, to see the expectations of the fans in what should be an extremely tough stretch of games. I can see 0-5 being possible but I think we're a little better than that, or perhaps a little luckier, but we'll see. I do agree that 0-5 wouldn't be the end of the world for us, but it will be a depressing atmosphere around here that's for certain.

If you don't already know, The Celtics play the Magic on Thursday down in Orlando. So if they have a hard fought game with Orlando(win or lose) they might not have much in their tank when the come to the Highlight Factory Friday. Hopefully the Hawks will run the Celtics, and take advantage of the tired and old legs of Garnett,Pierce,Allen & Sheed.