• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are you happy with this signing?

frankthetank966

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Considering the other candidates: Yes.

Considering the other mentioned "finalists" (Avery included), yes. Compared to Corbin, Demopoulos, and Byron Scott - no.

Edited by niremetal

Same ole smae ole. Just another croanie yes man like Sund. A guy who wont make waves. Hell they didnt even let Sund pick the coach. He will make half what they would have paid Woody so they are happy. I would have been happier if they gave the job to Bob Rathbun.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Same ole smae ole. Just another croanie yes man like Sund. A guy who wont make waves. Hell they didnt even let Sund pick the coach. He will make half what they would have paid Woody so they are happy. I would have been happier if they gave the job to Bob Rathbun.

Exactly. +1. This is a joke hire. We went cheap with Sund with a "GM" who wasn't going to get another job anywhere else. And this guy can't even hire the coach he wants because our el cheapo ownership wanted the cheapest guy they could find. Laughable hire by a laughable ownership.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not happy, but I'll learn to love it, especially if he brings in the right mix of assistants to develop these players' skillsets. Yes there are better candidates out there, but if ASG wants to spend as little as possible to keep this franchise on the competitive cusp, fine. Just hope they lay off on the phone calls for season tix renewals for a few weeks, at least through mid-July.

I'm not disillusioned into believing this is Woody Warmed Over. I do know Drew will give a bleep about the offense, and will change bleep when the bleep doesn't work, so that's good.

~lw3

Exactly. +1. This is a joke hire. We went cheap with Sund with a "GM" who wasn't going to get another job anywhere else. And this guy can't even hire the coach he wants because our el cheapo ownership wanted the cheapest guy they could find. Laughable hire by a laughable ownership.

Well . . . I tried to tell you what was up about a month ago, so this shouldn't be a shock.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index.php/topic/347346-is-this-a-championship-level-fan-base/page__p__449799__hl__championship%20fan%20base__fromsearch__1&#entry449799

As for the hire . . . lol . . I'll say NO . . only because I didn't think they would go with an assistant on Woody's staff to replace Woody. But Drew has my support. He's the coach now, so he'll get a fair shake from me, to show me how he can possibly make this team better.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

I'll just stay positive on this one!

Some say ASG played cheap-ball, some say it was done to enhance our chances to re-sign JJ... we can only speculate...

Bottom line is that we have a Head Coach right now!

The truth is that the Hawks probably made the most sound (not Sund) decision... they went through the process of evaluation, conducted several interviews and made a call!

They chose a man they're already familiar with. They know his qualities and relationships with our players... and they decided to give the man his chance! I just see no problems with that!

I remember Drew from his playing days... he was quite a smart PG... selfless, team-oriented...

Comparing Drew to other candidates... well, I never liked AJ, I think he's a little prick! Casey was probably short-list candidate... and Action-Jackson (for who I think will make a decent coach some day) was there to round the number of candidates...

There's one thing I especially like about this decision! ASG is showing they will not opt for radical moves! They assessed the situation and realized that we're not far from truly contending in this league...

Step 1. Hire a coach already familiar with the players and the organisation,

Step 2. Obvoiusly we need JJ re-signed,

Step 3. Get a player or two (FA) and address our weaknesses (with regard to matchup problems with our rivals).

Step 4. Just continue this steady growth!

I'll just wish Drew all the luck in the world!

• Like 1

The Hawks went out and saved themselves aton of money and went cheap , signing Drew at 1.3 mil, making him the cheapest coach in the NBA . So dont expect much when it comes time to round out his staff of asst.coaches. Sad , but this could be the final straw in a plan to move this team .

No.

The Hawks wasted time and money by putting on this Dog and Pony show of interviewing other coaches, just to go with the existing Assistant Coach who just happens to be the cheapest option available. Would you really spend several days at a car dealership looking and test driving the best and most expensive cars, then going with the cheapest model that was the only car you could afford the whole time? Thats what the Hawks just did.

• Like 2