• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smitty explains what Larry Drew did during his interview

GameTime

I just learned that what he did was he came in and showed them an offense that he diagrammed. Not only that he brought some guys in: Tyrone Hill, Jeff Teague and he went through some sets. I think that really impressed the Atlanta Hawks. He said the offense won't look the same. Everybody was upset because the Atlanta Hawks offense has been one-on-one isolation. Larry Drew being the assistant coach so they probably thought it would be the same thing with Mike Woodson. He came in with a different type of offense and not only that, bringing out five guys and running the sets. Way to go Larry Drew.

Steve Smith just made me feel a lot better about the hire.

Edited by GameTime

If I was a GM I'd have every coaching candidate doing that and watching tape with me.

I respect Smitty alot. He has friends on the inside..............specifically the owner themselves.

I'll be looking foward to replay of that tonight.

Edited by coachx

I think that really impressed the Atlanta Hawks.

The Atlanta Hawks would be who? Rick Sund? Err...Smitty probably isn't talking about him. Its more likely that he means he impressed the owners who then told Sund what to do.

Same here man if Steve Smith is really telling the truth on that than I feel even more pumped about Drew and I feel he's showing that he is going to be very prepared this season coming up. I am excited to see what type of offense the hawks will run. Did Smith mention anything about the Defense or if Drew had said anything about it? I hope he doenst support the swithching defense............ while i somewhat like it, it doesn't need to be heavily used this next year or ever at that!

Edited by JTB

Hearing that made me feel a little better about the hire too. This leads me to believe Woodson must have been the most pigheaded coach of all time though.

Your post may very well sum it up perfectly (is that 3 room deluxe doghouse still up for sale at Hawks.com?)

• Premium Member

Does he support the switching defense?

I hope he does. Our roster is so well-constructed for that.

Woody's problem wasn't the switching defense per-se, but rather the complete commitment to doing so 100% of the time.

How many times did opposing coaches talk about the problems our switching presents?

For most but not for all, and for much of the time but not all of the time, the switching was effective. But when you're THAT predictable, and too, when you are THAT ill-equipped and unprepared with a Plan B when the other team is taking it to you... that's inexcusable.

• Like 1

They actually have the video posted on nba.com along with the article about his hire.

I like what he did for 2 reasons:

1. It shows that he KNOWS he cant be a Woody repeat and not have an offensive system in place, and he will focus on making that difference clear with the team next year

and

2. By using Teague he was demonstrating that Teague has the capapility to run an offense, he has confidence that he can be taught the new system, and he will in effect actually be used next year.

Both are things we as fans wanted in the new coach

an Offense

Somebody to develop Teague

• Like 1

They actually have the video posted on nba.com along with the article about his hire.

I like what he did for 2 reasons:

1. It shows that he KNOWS he cant be a Woody repeat and not have an offensive system in place, and he will focus on making that difference clear with the team next year

and

2. By using Teague he was demonstrating that Teague has the capapility to run an offense, he has confidence that he can be taught the new system, and he will in effect actually be used next year.

Both are things we as fans wanted in the new coach

an Offense

Somebody to develop Teague

That or he's just as good as Woody at BS'ing.

The interesting dynamic here is something I was talking about during the coaching search. For the past 3-4 years, Atlanta Hawks fans have desired getting a coach that will have a defined offensive system and will allow the team to utlize its athleticism by employing an up tempo style. All indications are pointing towards Larry Drew actually bringing that to the Hawks. He's already talking about the offense looking very different than last year's offense, and those close to the team have talked about Larry's desire in the past to have the team push the tempo more - a desire that went largely ignored by the head coach during that time span.

However, Hawks fans have mixed feelings on this hire. I feel that these mixed feelings stem mostly from the idea that since he was on Mike Woodson's staff, then by default, he will be nothing more than another Mike Woodson. Of course, as has been pointed out, the idea that an assistant coach will always or even mostly have the same coaching style as the head coach has been completely debunked. You think Doug Collins ever considered running the triangle offense in Chicago? They ran it when little known assistant Phil Jackson took the job.

Some of those mixed feelings stem from nothing more than the superficial desire to get someone that is considered a name brand though. Why do you think so many supported Avery Johnson? The support for Avery Johnson was mind boggling considering that his style is exactly the opposite of what Atlanta Hawks fans have wanted over the past 3-4 years. Avery Johnson is not an up tempo coach, and he runs the same kind of isolation heavy offense that Mike Woodson favored. Despite that, some Hawks fans overlooked that because they saw his face on ESPN and knew his name.

David Aldridge stated in the video that is accompanying the article at NBA.com that Larry Drew deserved this shot 10 years ago. Like Tom Thibodeau, Larry has paid his dues and has earned this opportunity. Both coaches deserved it, and I'm glad both coaches caught on with young, playoff caliber teams instead of a team like the one Mike Woodson inherited in Atlanta. Brent Barry stated that he is excited about the move because it brings new blood to the NBA coaching ranks, something that I have been saying this league has needed for a while now. I agree with Brent on the idea that it is better to hire someone who has never failed at the job before than to hire someone that has failed 3-4 times already. Even then, there are exceptions such as Alvin Gentry, which should show you just how much of a players league this is.

Many are upset that the Hawks didn't go out and spend $4 million a year on a coach. To that, I will just say Scott Brooks. Scott Brooks was the lowest paid coach in the NBA this past season, and he won NBA Coach of the Year. Alvin Gentry is also one of the lowest paid coaches in the game, and a case could have been reasonably made for his candidacy as a COY candidate.

• Like 3

I hope he does. Our roster is so well-constructed for that.

Woody's problem wasn't the switching defense per-se, but rather the complete commitment to doing so 100% of the time.

How many times did opposing coaches talk about the problems our switching presents?

For most but not for all, and for much of the time but not all of the time, the switching was effective. But when you're THAT predictable, and too, when you are THAT ill-equipped and unprepared with a Plan B when the other team is taking it to you... that's inexcusable.

I concur.