• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grade the Hawks draft

Admin

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

D, would have been an F if we would have taken james, went to a B when we traded for crawford the 31 pick, went back down to a C when we got cheap, and finished at a D when we wasted the 53rd on a kid that has NO chance at coming anywhere near an NBA bench.

you almost had me sund...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Is an A reflective of optimizing what you had? If so, A. But if an A is reflective of actual impact on the roster for the long-term, when does a team EVER expect the 24th pick of a draft to have an impact? This guy looks like he can fill a niche at some point with an NBA team. Maybe a B, but more reasonably a C.

I gave it a C and that is being generous on my part. Crawford is a great pickup. Perhaps our future backcourt is in place now. Too early to say right now. ASG can get lost. We got a gift of a pick at 31. That would have solved a pressing need at backup C. We completely blow it by selling the damn pick. Pape Sy I am curious about him. He has an awesome name. I hope he plays for us this year.

Is an A reflective of optimizing what you had? If so, A. But if an A is reflective of actual impact on the roster for the long-term, when does a team EVER expect the 24th pick of a draft to have an impact? This guy looks like he can fill a niche at some point with an NBA team. Maybe a B, but more reasonably a C.

I respect your opinion so I'd like to see how you can grade them with an 'A' when we didn't get anything of value in the form of a future pick for the 31st pick.

• Premium Member

C. They had a B+ with Damian James, then they shot up to an A+ after the trade to get 27 and 31 after the gamble paid off and they got crawford. It quickly went down to a C- after they boggled my mind with the 31st pick. In fact, i'd like to change my vote to D. this has to be the strangest draft I've ever seen. I'm still wondering how you can screw the chance to draft Crawford and Whiteside up. Whiteside would've been 500,000 bucks. Waive friggin Randmo and sign Whiteside! I'm trying to make all of this make sense in my head but I cannot. Maybe some Ciroc and orange juice will help. Goodnight.

• Moderators

F +, with a chance to move up to D + should Mr. "Cut The Tape!" become some kind of a star.

So much potential to add real talent (rebounding, defense) to the frontcourt. Instead they left little confidence that the A$G isn't well on their way to selling the team.

~lw3

• Premium Member

I gave it a C and that is being generous on my part. Crawford is a great pickup. Perhaps our future backcourt is in place now. Too early to say right now. ASG can get lost. We got a gift of a pick at 31. That would have solved a pressing need at backup C. We completely blow it by selling the damn pick. Pape Sy I am curious about him. He has an awesome name. I hope he plays for us this year.

A little sanity please? You weren't going to solve a pressing need for backup C at 24, let alone 31. Pleiss won't play in the NBA for a couple of years yet. And look where the FSU kid, that so many drooled over, actually went. That doesn't tell you something?

• Like 1

A little sanity please? You weren't going to solve a pressing need for backup C at 24, let alone 31. Pleiss won't play in the NBA for a couple of years yet. And look where the FSU kid, that so many drooled over, actually went. That doesn't tell you something?

It tells me that there is more than one dumb GM. Not getting Whiteside was insane. A true center who is defensive oriented...even if he is a career backup it is more of a need than a backup SG. If we don't resign JJ we are going to be back in the lottery anyway. Athletic 7 fters aren't available in every draft.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

It tells me that there is more than one dumb GM. Not getting Whiteside was insane. A true center who is defensive oriented...even if he is a career backup it is more of a need than a backup SG. If we don't resign JJ we are going to be back in the lottery anyway. Athletic 7 fters aren't available in every draft.

I like Whiteside. I'm a Marshall grad, so I'm a little biased. But even I know he is a project who was not going to be prepared to be much more than Randolph Morris to us in 2010-11.

• Like 1

I like Whiteside. I'm a Marshall grad, so I'm a little biased. But even I know he is a project who was not going to be prepared to be much more than Randolph Morris to us in 2010-11.

Yep this is true. At best he would have been another Solomon Jones for us in the short term, although with his size he has the long term potential to contribute.

• Moderators

C.

The Crawford pick I like.

The #31 sale was a debacle.

The Sy pick is an incomplete in my book because I don't know enough about the guy other than that he scored points with the ASG by paying his own way to try out but didn't score many points on the court in France.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

Part of me says A because you got a good first round guy for 1/4 of his price.

Part of me says F because the 31st pick in the draft is a first round talent that you don't have to pay guaranteed money.

Part of me says D minus because we picked the guy because of his willingness to pay his way and not his ability.

All in All, C minus.

B.

The Hawks got Crawford and some cash to use this offseason. I'd love a center but none of the centers in this draft are ready to replace Horford as a starter this year (which is what most people want). Hopefully they put that cash to good use.

I graded a D last night b/c the sell of the 31s pick just pissed me off. I should have graded a C.

Of course as a fan we see no cash for selling a pick. For a 2 year non-guaranteed contract I don't see why you don't take a flyer on someone.

Crawford at 27 I'm fine with. His shooting is needed.

Hard to give a grade until about 2 years from now.

Edited by coachx

C. Crawford is redundant to Crawford for now and is a bit undersized to be a starting 2.

If tthis means the front office is basically throwing in the towel on resigning JJ then maybe this is an F, as it is a sign the team is heading in the wrong direction. Hopefully the Atlanta Spirit sell the team.

I'm giving an optimistic B, but like some have already said: the draft is the beginning of the offseason, not the end. Grades can change. For now, we got the player we wanted and some extra cash. If we had simply picked Crawford at 24, I feel like everybody would've been moderately satisfied. So, I'm gonna lend Sund a little good faith here to see what he does with the rest of the summer.

Edited by HawkRock1123