• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Houston to offer Kevin Martin for Joe

NJHAWK

I'd definintely be down with getting KMart for Joe (even if the deal isn't expanded to include Battier). The question then becomes who is the odd-man out of our guard rotation is: Bibby, Teague, Crawford, Crawford, Martin? That's 5 guys battling over 2 starting spots and backup positions.

• Premium Member

Why wouldn't they? Joe is a better two and Martin isn't capable of playing SF. I'm not sure Joe would sign there to play at three.

Because Joe wants $100M.

And the article speculates that the point would be to lure Bosh to Houston, but he's gone out of his way to say he'd rather not play that close to home.

• Premium Member

I'd definintely be down with getting KMart for Joe (even if the deal isn't expanded to include Battier). The question then becomes who is the odd-man out of our guard rotation is: Bibby, Teague, Crawford, Crawford, Martin? That's 5 guys battling over 2 starting spots and backup positions.

I'd package older Crawford's expiring contract for next year to get a big man.

Houston must be smoking crack if they think they can pull off a sign & trade for JJ and then another sign and trade for Bosh within 24 hours of each other.

The chances of that are 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001 %

Perhaps it is a pipe dream but I personally think that Darryl Morey (sp) is the best GM in the league and Les Alexander is willing to spend $$$. The plan at this point is Luis Scola, Knicks 2012 1st (protected #1), Jordan Hill and/or filler for Bosh.....Kelvin Martin, Rockets 2011 or 2012 pick and filler for Joe Johnson. Where the signing of JJ is the carrot for Bosh....of course it all depends on Lebron James.

Perhaps it is a pipe dream but I personally think that Darryl Morey (sp) is the best GM in the league and Les Alexander is willing to spend $$$. The plan at this point is Luis Scola, Knicks 2012 1st (protected #1), Jordan Hill and/or filler for Bosh.....Kelvin Martin, Rockets 2011 or 2012 pick and filler for Joe Johnson. Where the signing of JJ is the carrot for Bosh....of course it all depends on Lebron James.

If that happens and the bulls or cavs sign lebron while amare and/or boozer wind up in miami with wade new york may wind up with nobody.

That would make that pick a top 4 selection in all likelyhood.

I like this far better than a dallas deal. quote]

I don't know...if we can get Roddy B and Caron Butler as an expiring, we're still competing for a championship AND we have cap space next year. I don't think Martin is enough to get us over the hump, especially if JJ wasn't.

Does anybody know what Martin's contract looks like?

Edited by warcore
  • Like 1

I told everybody last summer that the one guy that I thought JJ could possibly be traded for at the trade deadline . . . was Kevin Martin. From a scorer standpoint, he was about the only guy who was close to being on JJ's level, that we could trade for.

Would I do the deal? Well . . . considering that Martin didn't lead Sacramento ANYWHERE, I'd rather overpay JJ than to trade for Kevin. He looks to be a brittle as T-Mac the past few years.

And there's still the issue of JJ WANTING to go to Houston. We do not control anything in a sign and trade. It's all about where JJ wants to go.

I told everybody last summer that the one guy that I thought JJ could possibly be traded for at the trade deadline . . . was Kevin Martin. From a scorer standpoint, he was about the only guy who was close to being on JJ's level, that we could trade for.

Would I do the deal? Well . . . considering that Martin didn't lead Sacramento ANYWHERE, I'd rather overpay JJ than to trade for Kevin. He looks to be a brittle as T-Mac the past few years.

Lets be honest here. You put Joe on those Sacremento teams and they won't do much better.

I don't think Martin is any better than average. We aren't getting equal talent back as Martin is not as good a passer and he's not as good on defense. But he's better than just about anything else out there.

Although you are correct, Martin gets to the free throw line a LOT more than Joe. He's always tops in the league in free throws and that would give us a great weapon to have. He also wouldn't bog down the offense with isolations, he's a better off the ball player which is how we should've used Joe. Martin also has a career 59.8% TS%, Joe's BEST season was 55.8 TS%. I'm good with this trade.

Edited by AtLaS

Although you are correct, Martin gets to the free throw line a LOT more than Joe. He's always tops in the league in free throws and that would give us a great weapon to have. He also wouldn't bog down the offense with isolations, he's a better off the ball player which is how we should've used Joe. Martin also has a career 59.8% TS%, Joe's BEST season was 55.8 TS%. I'm good with this trade.

Martin attacks the rim, moves well without the ball, hits shots from everywhere on the floor, is signed to a reasonable deal. The only downside to him IMO is his health. He has a difficult time staying healthy.

Martin attacks the rim, moves well without the ball, hits shots from everywhere on the floor, is signed to a reasonable deal. The only downside to him IMO is his health. He has a difficult time staying healthy.

David Thorpe (Martin's trainer) recently said that his ankle injury was actually a minor injury that was misdiagnosed and treated incorrectly. He said that if that injury was treated properly, he would have only been out a few games.

http://thegame.podbean.com/2010/02/18/david-thorpe-21810/

Kevin Martin the last 3 seasons averaged 30games/season. :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Didn't he tear his ACL or something like that? If that happened to him 1/2 way through one season, it would cost him part of the following season as well. While I dont' disagree about him staying healthy, I believe he did do that which may skew (sp?) the numbers a little

That is pretty high esteem for a GM who shot all his bullets on some injury prone max players like McGrady and Yao.

It would be the first time in the history of the league that 1 teams has orchestrated trades for 2 max players in the same season. Its not impossible but not very likely.

I would prefer a 27 year old K. Martin + future 1st due to the 6 year $119 mill contract JJ would be seeking.

This would be quite a shocker ! Give Houston an A for effort.

Edited by coachx

He is a better shooter than JJ. Heck he is a better all-around scorer than JJ.

At the Rim: JJ- 58.1% KM- 56.0%

<10 Feet: JJ- 51.1% KM- 49.1%

10-15 Feet: JJ- 47.7% KM- 30.9%

16-23 Feet: JJ- 40.49% KM- 40.5%

3pt Shots: JJ- 36.9% KM- 33.1%

If Kevin Martin is the best we can do then I am comfortable with that. He does a much better job of getting to the line but JJ is far and away the better offensive player and defense isn't close. With that said, I won't fret at an SnT involving Martin but my hope is to hold on to JJ.

• Like 1

no thanks

Im with you on this

Id rather have Deng than trade JJ for damaged goods . People need to stop stat watching its a reason the Rockets would look to move him so quickly after getting him . This is one of those deals where the Rockets would be saying "Suckas" under there breath.

• Like 1