Hawks offer Shaq the midlevel exception.

AtLaS

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/05/shaq-weighing-offer-from-hawks-to-join-johnson/

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal is seriously considering a two-year deal with the Hawks that starts at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million, according to NBA sources close to both the team and the future Hall of Fame player.

Sounds great to me, bring in the Diesel!

• Like 1

Yes, best part is that Shaq is SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING IT. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

He may be old, but he's one of the few people that won't back down from Dwight.

Key words "he wont back down..." I wouldn't single out Dwight I would say he wont back down from anyone. And the great thing about shaq if he is on your team is he gets a lot of calls his way. Unfortunately thats hows the NBA works a superstar gets calls. But I am glad we made him an offer. We could defintely benefit from having him on the team. Heck sign him and dump Marvin for a few prospect and drafts picks.

The biggest reason I like this other than the fact he could provide us with a great interior presence, is his leadership ability. Players respect Shaq and I think he could tremendously help us from that standpoint, as everyone knows we need a leader.

Guest Squawker

We all know shaq isnt what he used to be but i think if he signs in atlanta the highlight factory will be very crowded.

The article also says the Hawks are considering trading Josh Smith...hmmmm

While Josh Smith is probably my favorite Hawk, we need to make a big trade IMO and Josh is probably our best trade bait to acquire a top tier player, given that he is still young and on a very reasonable contract.

• Premium Member

I suppose I'm okay with it. It's just hard to imagine that what is standing between us and a conference final is a 38 year-old center. Then again, if Dikembe was still having some impact at 43, I guess it's not beyond belief that Shaq would have impact at 38. I do, however, fear that MC @ AJC is correct in suggesting that it is debatable whether we are in greater need of a Shaq or Shaq-like presence down low or a high-caliber perimeter defender like a Ronnie Brewer.

• Premium Member

I suppose I'm okay with it. It's just hard to imagine that what is standing between us and a conference final is a 38 year-old center. Then again, if Dikembe was still having some impact at 43, I guess it's not beyond belief that Shaq would have impact at 38. I do, however, fear that MC @ AJC is correct in suggesting that it is debatable whether we are in greater need of a Shaq or Shaq-like presence down low or a high-caliber perimeter defender like a Ronnie Brewer.

Unlike most. I wasn't upset with how Shaq played in the playoffs last year. He's still a big. He is still very skilled. Him in our Frontcourt would make us like Magic.

"He wants to play two more years, and he wants it to be with a contender. He thinks he can help them become a serious one.''

"He wants to make sure he finishes with a contender, and in a city he likes,'' said the source.

That was in the article as well. It sounds really good for us.

• Premium Member

The article also says the Hawks are considering trading Josh Smith...hmmmm

Hmmm indeed.

Have to wonder if this is just leftovers from some Chris Paul talk that actually occurred but is long since dead.... can't see us dealing Smoove for anyone else supposedly on the market.

• Moderators

At this age, his most valuable physical asset for this team will be his mouth.

frontcourt rotation:

Smoove/Al (starting)

Al/Diesel

Al/Zaza

Smoove/Zaza

Smoove/Diesel

(repeat)

Works for me. Sign him up.

~lw3

Great Offer! Shaq could be the BIG we need downlow to soidify things. Plus bring some more fans to the games! SIgn Diesel and dangle Smoove/Marvin and see what bites! If not go into next year with a very solid team that could make some noise with a new coach and an actual offense. Looking good so far and it appears the ASG is going all in here. I expect another move...

• Premium Member

My Hornets friend said from what he has heard (this is literal third hand information I only repeat it here for fans) the Hornets are "kicking the tires" on a deal offered by the Hawks of Paul/Okafor for Smith/Crawford.

My Hornets friend said from what he has heard (this is literal third hand information I only repeat it here for fans) the Hornets are "kicking the tires" on a deal offered by the Hawks of Paul/Okafor for Smith/Crawford.

where has he heard it? i would do that then see if we can trade okafor for a skilled small forward.

• Moderators

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=1057

The Hawks have been exploring the possibility of trading Josh Smith as part of their summertime makeover, according to sources around the league.

This makes sense in the context of the story on Fanhouse.com, which describes the Hawks offering a two-year contract to Shaquille O'Neal. It's not clear what the Hawks want in return, but they could try to package Mike Bibby or Marvin Williams with Smoove to bring back a top-notch PG.

Top-notch, eh? Hmmm...

I'd make the trip to New Orleans a couple times a year to watch Smoove in action! :) Just see if there's anything other than Mek worthy of getting in return.

~lw3