• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offer Shaq the midlevel exception.

AtLaS

This would be a great get in my opinion. Shaq is a shadow of what he used to be, but he brings mental toughness and is not afraid of any player in the league. It seems that he dislikes Howard as it is due to the whole superman name, and after watching Howard's record setting fg percentage vs us in the playoffs, we could use a player like Shaq. I'm not confident in his ability on offense anymore, but I am more than confident he can still contain the best of the best for 20 minutes a night.

People People People, they are not going to trade josh smith. they are just testing the waters, that's it. no way they trade him and N.O. already said they are not giving up CP3.

Let me ask you guys a question if this where to happen who would guard guys like bosh, Lewis, garnett, and hedo? AL? OKAFO? HORFORD? Have you not seen what happens when you put all the the quicker PF? Game winner bosh, three pointer Lewis...Just look at the film

They are not that crazy to trade josh smith and run with a late 80s early 90s from line that is slow and immobile. two bangger doesn't work anymore people, why would they use josh and horford as reasons for Johnson to return if they where just going to trade smoove. IT AINT HAPPENING!!! Bibby, Crawford, Marvin and maybe even Zaza are on the block so stop with all this nonsense for one night please. you can't believe everything you read, if that was the case smoove would be in Memphis right now, Johnson would be going to Chicago/new york and lady gaga would have a wenis!!

Horford, smith, and Johnson are this team. Any speculation of a trade involving either of them is just speculation of possibilities but would never come to pass. every team tries to see what they can get for a key guy each off-season, this is nothing new.

I can't believe you "FANS" are harping for horford and okafor and shaq!!!! Are you HIGH, SERIOUSLY!!!??

...take okafor out and you got yourself a deal. CP3 will be in N.O. next year and Smoove will be in ATL.

People here, you fans, hear the name of a supposed marquee guy and you proceed to lose your minds and it's just comical!

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/story.asp?i=20100623221122340000101&ref=hea&tm=&src=

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13556098/hornets-ownership-discounts-chances-of-paul-trade/rss

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-draft-hornets

2 bangers doesn't work anymore? The World Champs would disagree with you. They have Gasol and Bynum.

Horford runs the floor very well for a man his size. While we will lose speed in the loss of a Josh Smith, we gain a lot more toughness for those playoff battles. if you noticed, the Lakers and Celtics each broke the 100 point barrier ONE TIME in the NBA Finals. Those games were all about defense, and who could execute under all of that defensive pressure.

I'm only for trading Smoove for a legit star. That's been my stance all along.

Chris Paul is a legit star . . . a superstar when healthy. The Hawks would do that trade in a second, if they acquired Shaq for 2 years as well. But the stance from the Hornets is that they will not trade Paul.

At least they won't trade him now. They may wait for Carmelo Anthony going into next year.

Edited by northcyde

2 bangers doesn't work anymore? The World Champs would disagree with you. They have Gasol and Bynum.

Horford runs the floor very well for a man his size. While we will lose speed in the loss of a Josh Smith, we gain a lot more toughness for those playoff battles. if you noticed, the Lakers and Celtics each broke the 100 point barrier ONE TIME in the NBA Finals. Those games were all about defense, and who could execute under all of that defensive pressure.

I'm only for trading Smoove for a legit star. That's been my stance all along.

Chris Paul is a legit star . . . a superstar when healthy. The Hawks would do that trade in a second, if they acquired Shaq for 2 years as well. But the stance from the Hornets is that they will not trade Paul.

At least they won't trade him now. They may wait for Carmelo Anthony going into next year.

Would you trade Horford for Paul?

We should trade anyone on our roster for Paul.

I haven't heard anyone else bring up the other fringe benefit of signing Shaq which is enticing others to play here. If we sign Shaq do you think we would be able to fill out the roster with better players than Mario West, Joe Smith, etc.?

David Aldridge just said that the Hawks have NO intention of EVER moving Horford to PF. They think that there is no reason to. So basically we would be using Shaq to fill Joe Smith's role....who ironically was the predecessor to Shaq in Cleveland.

Aldridge is an idiot then. Al may still be our starting center, but the acquisition of a center the size of Shaq would allow Al to play PFmore, especially at the beginning of the 2nd and 4th quarters . . while JJ, and Smoove get rest. You star Al, but pull him out of the game around the 5 minute mark of the 1st quarter. Insert Shaq ( or Zaza ), and let them finish the quarter ).

Imagine this for our start of the 2nd quarter rotation if we were to acquire Shaq: ( assuming that Teague is the starter at PG )

PG - Bibby

G - Jamal Crawford

F - Mo Evans

F - Horford

C - Shaq

Teams couldn't simply focus on slowing down Jamal anymore. They'd have to account for Horford and Shaq. And while that group may play slower, that's a group with veteran players in 4 positions, with Horford possibly being able to show off a little at PF. And Bibby would still be a good spot up 3 point shooter. If we're going to play the Bibby - Crawford backcourt together, I'd rather play them against the other team's 2nd unit.

or they can go with this lineup

PG - Jamal Crawford

G - Jordan Crawford

F - Evans

F - Zaza

C - Shaq

It's a slow, but rugged frontline, surrounded by shooters at the 1, 2, and 3 spot. Shaq is still a good enough offensive threat to be a viable short stretch scorer with a 2nd unit like that, while still allowing Jamal to do his thing. Even the 2nd lineup off the bench, would be better than what we were trying to throw at people last year.

PG - Teague

G - Crawford

F - Evans

F - Joe Smith

C - Zaza

That lineup was pretty much Crawford or bust.

Would you trade Horford for Paul?

Of course.

Paul is a superstar PG that instantly makes your team better. Smoove is still a good PF that deserved to make the All-Star team last year. And while he's not as tough as Horford, Smoove and Paul would be a hell of a combination to team together.

If we're talking about getting a player like Chris Paul, both Horford and Smoove are in play. The other reason why Smoove is mentioned more, is because Smoove already has a big money contract ( 11.6 mill next season ) to make a trade like that happen. Horford won't make his big money until next season. He'll only make 5.4 million next year.

We should trade anyone on our roster for Paul.

I haven't heard anyone else bring up the other fringe benefit of signing Shaq which is enticing others to play here. If we sign Shaq do you think we would be able to fill out the roster with better players than Mario West, Joe Smith, etc.?

This is your potential team if we added Shaq

PG - Teague, Bibby

G - Johnson, Jamal C, Jordan C

F - Marvin, Evans

PF - Smoove

C - Horford, Shaq, Zaza

The weak spot is potentially at PG ( edit: I had originally listed PF by mistake ), especially if Teague isn't ready to give us decent minutes. But even with that, Jamal can play the 1 at times.

That's a pretty solid team, if you add Shaq to the mix, and he can give us the production that he gave Cleveland last year ( without getting hurt ). And I'm sure that Drew would probably do what both Mike D'Antoni and Terry Porter did in Phoenix and Mike Brown did in Cleveland. And that is limit Shaq's minutes every night. . even give him a day off in a back to back situation ( unless it was a "big" game )

That's 11 players right there. To be honest, I wouldn't care who we filled out the roster with. And JJ can still play SG and SF . . and Horford can play C and PF. You'd have a 10 man rotation that could be set, with the rookie Jordan Crawford getting spot minutes in garbage time. With those 11 players, I could care less who the 12th and 13th guy was.

Edited by northcyde

I would love Shaq as a Hawk. He would give us some toughness and at least we would be able to show a different look to teams like Orlando who play around with the current Hawk squad since it's to small. I know Shaq can't play alot of minutes but we have to do something or else be stuck in the 3rd or 4th best team in the Eastern Conference for a long time.

I'm for trading anyone to get Paul but I wonder if Charlotte would do it..I'd hate to see Horford go but if it was a deal breaker then yes. I hope we can get rid of Marvin because of the contract. Doesn't give enough production and signing JJ were becoming a team that won't be able to do much because of overpaying players.I'm not saying Marvin for Paul but Smoove most likely would be part of the package. We can ship Marvin somewhere else and hopefully find a small forward that can actually score consistently(not Childress).

Hawk fans need some new blood to get excited about. Just hiring Drew as coach isn't enough to boost fan attendance. ASG put its money where it's mouth was and resigned JJ so at least their not cheap. Keep adding to the talent base we need to close the gap with other teams ahead of us.