• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs. Heat.

Diesel

I got to watch the last 3 quarters. I'd have to say my high points from the game were seeing improved defensive effort from Joe. Joe getting his points in the flow of the game and not forcing. Marvin showing signs of being much better utilized in this system and maybe the best thing I saw was the multiple curl screens at the top to get Bibby open looks. That curl screen was there all night if they wanted it.

I think in the new offense since Joe doesn't have to go one on one so much, he will have extra energy to play at a higher level on defense as well. He's one of our best defenders when he wants to be.

• Premium Member

My main questions/comments are:

-it still seems like all the plays are designed to get the guards scoring. Sounds like Horf had some looks in the first half but i missed it. Did we have any post ups at the 4 and 5 or passes to cutters in the first half?

-Is Juwan Howard going to play forever? I started thinking last night that he had played in college with Glen Rice (which of course he didn't) and then thought he might be playing with Glen Rice's kid soon.

I disagree with the notion that it's guard based scoring. For the most part, it's a free for all. Joe set Marvin up a lot. The ball just moves and whoever is open can get a shot. In the early going, they were giving Horf and Smoove their choice of shots from outside... and Marvin... did they even attempt to guard him?

Powell isn't a great shooter by any means. But he's a better shooter than Josh Smith. Powell has actually been making the midrange jumper all preseason.

Josh Smith could possibly be the worst jump shooter in the entire NBA. Too bad he hasn't gotten the memo as of yet.

He's still jacking up 3's and long jumpers. Wasn't Drew supposed to do something about that?

• Premium Member

I love the "high lights" from the game on ESPN this morning:

One Lebron dunk followed by another Lebron dunk followed by a Lebron assist. Not one Hawk highlight shown and at the end of the ESPN they barely mention the final score. Not one Hawk highlight or a single word about the Hawks. Pathetic.

If you watched coverage from any media outlet and you missed the final score, you would swear we were blown out by the Heat.

• Premium Member

If you watched coverage from any media outlet and you missed the final score, you would swear we were blown out by the Heat.

Exactly. my brother up north told me he watched Sportcenter after the game and it was virtually all Lebron highlights as if they won the game or something. The Hawks played some pretty darn good and entertaining basketball and the still got the shaft. At least NBA.com's highlights were on point. ESPN is starting to lose it's luster to me lately. I grew up watching Espn and especially Sportscenter, but it just ain't the same.

Aye Sothron (can't quote from the iPhone, or just don't know how to), I am positive there is an ongoing practice and mandate at ESPN to cover Atlanta Sports like were in Alaska. When Lou Piniella retired with half the resume Mr. Cox has, Espn slurped him to no end. It's almost like he died. Bobby retires at the end of a very good year, he probably got 2 measly segments at about 2 minutes each. The Falcons can go on a nice, tough winning streak, they get mentioned 58 minutes after the Cowboys' woes are analyzed from every angle. Never mind Atlanta being a larger media market than most, they treat us like our sports don't even matter. But I've been programmer to wake up to the commercial, ratings-driven machine of a network. What can I do.

• Premium Member

Aye Sothron (can't quote from the iPhone, or just don't know how to), I am positive there is an ongoing practice and mandate at ESPN to cover Atlanta Sports like were in Alaska. When Lou Piniella retired with half the resume Mr. Cox has, Espn slurped him to no end. It's almost like he died. Bobby retires at the end of a very good year, he probably got 2 measly segments at about 2 minutes each. The Falcons can go on a nice, tough winning streak, they get mentioned 58 minutes after the Cowboys' woes are analyzed from every angle. Never mind Atlanta being a larger media market than most, they treat us like our sports don't even matter. But I've been programmer to wake up to the commercial, ratings-driven machine of a network. What can I do.

I wish I knew which ESPN head honcho got his heart broke in Atlanta to tell him to get over it. ESPN has taken a crap over this city's sports team for as long as I can remember and it looks like it will never change.

One Lebron dunk followed by another Lebron dunk followed by a Lebron assist. Not one Hawk highlight shown and at the end of the ESPN they barely mention the final score. Not one Hawk highlight or a single word about the Hawks. Pathetic.

Saw the same thing, I wondered if I saw a different game last night. TNT announcers gave us our props though.

Exactly. my brother up north told me he watched Sportcenter after the game and it was virtually all Lebron highlights as if they won the game or something. The Hawks played some pretty darn good and entertaining basketball and the still got the shaft. At least NBA.com's highlights were on point. ESPN is starting to lose it's luster to me lately. I grew up watching Espn and especially Sportscenter, but it just ain't the same.

Oh my god it was a total Lebron highlight reel. It was comical how they almost were begrudged to mention that oh, the Hawks won though. Screw you ESPN!

I was so pissed off when I watched sportscenter last night....I guess I should have expected it. But no highlights? Not even 1. We won the dammn game, give us some credit. I hate you espn.

As far as the game was concerned, I absolutely loved it. We looked really smooth out there. We are utilizing more than an iso JJ offensive and using all of our weapons. This is the way it should have been even up to 2 years ago. I have to admit I have wanted a trade to bring in a Carmelo, but after last night I am pretty content with the players we have on our roster. I still wouldn't mind cp3 but even with Paul, I think the offense would slow down because having watched Hornets games, cp3 holds the ball for a really long time on each possession. I'm not sure I like that style of ball. I would much rather play a style where you hold the ball for a maximum of 4 seconds and the ball swing from left to right. If last night was any indication of what is to come in the regular season, I think a lot of us are gonna be really happy campers. Kudos to JJ on a fantastic night. I really also liked the flashes that Teague showed. I was really also impressed with Bibby. If we can monitor his minutes, he should be able to contribute much more in the playoffs....

I watched the game live, and then disected it again..watching it twice more. Probably the best Hawks preseason game I have ever seen. I looooooovvveee watching Lebron lose specially after he tweeted that he was going to the highlight factory to make some of his own. I really really hate that guy and hope he never wins a championship in his career. And I'm sorry but we OWN Bosh too...the guy just doesn't look comfortable playing us. He doesn't scare me at all. GOOOO HAWKKKSSSS!!!!!

• Moderators

I don't know that it is so much a hatred of Atlanta. My guess is that ESPN is indifferent about Atlanta. Instead, I think that ESPN picks certain players and teams to hype constantly and to the point of pain throughout the season and that they will cover those stories to the exclusion of everything else. The Heat are not the only team they will hype, but they will hype them more relentlessly than any other story or team regardless of what happens on the court. They will do stories about the Heat, about the players, about the media coverage of Miami, about the impact of the Heat on other teams (like Cle/Tor), and about the historic nature of the player power demonstrated by the Heat well before touching any other story line not involving the word "Kobe." They will hype these guys relentlessly so that the bandwagoners all jump aboard the hype train and the people that dislike the Heat get to root against them and scream to the heavens every time they see mention of the team.

It will disgust and nauseate everyone on this site before the season is over and I don't think it is has much of anything to do with ESPN's feelings about Atlanta.

• Like 2

My two favorite teams are........

1. (fill in the blank)

2. Whoever is playing Miami.

That way, they always get folks' ears to perk-up at the mention of Miami.

A bit like the way thesame press defines political issues. And everything else, for that matter.

The press has no value whatsoever ----- at this point in time, in my opinion. They're ambitious and have to assure their own survival. Much like a carnival grifter. Or a doctor, for that matter. When money is at stake, there can be no such thing as integrity or trust ----- except by the really gullable amongst us.

This system brought us here, no question, but will it eventually be what takes us out?

CS