• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin = 15-7-1....is that enough to drop the bust label

thecampster

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I look at Marvin the same way I look at Jameel Anderson of the Falcons. Forget where they were drafted. What can they do for me today. So far Marvin seems to be as good an option for someone who plays the #5 choice in the offense. He does just enough to stay the starter. Anyone better wouldn't accept being so low in the pecking order.

• Premium Member

A big audible sigh here. Not sure where he was at all tonight.

Might be a sign of the times with the Hawks too where there just aren't enough shots to go around when everyone can score the ball one way or another.

What option is Zaza?

He's like the 8th option right?

Funny thing is that he does something!!!

• Premium Member

I look at Marvin the same way I look at Jameel Anderson of the Falcons. Forget where they were drafted. What can they do for me today. So far Marvin seems to be as good an option for someone who plays the #5 choice in the offense. He does just enough to stay the starter. Anyone better wouldn't accept being so low in the pecking order.

Wow. It took just three games to start blaming everybody else. This is like the matrix reloaded.

Diesel: You are here because I predicted that Marvin is garbage regardless of what offense he plays in. He just doesn't have the goods.

You: So far Marvin seems to be as good an option for someone who plays the #5 choice in the offense. He does just enough to stay the starter. Anyone better wouldn't accept being so low in the pecking order.

Diesel: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time I have predicted it, and I have become exceedingly efficient at it.

• Like 1

Wow. It took just three games to start blaming everybody else. This is like the matrix reloaded.

Diesel: You are here because I predicted that Marvin is garbage regardless of what offense he plays in. He just doesn't have the goods.

You: So far Marvin seems to be as good an option for someone who plays the #5 choice in the offense. He does just enough to stay the starter. Anyone better wouldn't accept being so low in the pecking order.

Diesel: Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time I have predicted it, and I have become exceedingly efficient at it.

I have not read this thread fully but it is like this.

Marvin's role or expectation from me has changed. I just want him to be the best man defender on 3's and 4's on the court. I want him to rebound like he is Rodman. I want him to get out on the wings and finish or get to the line.

That's about it.

I have to admit, I bit. He is on both of my fantasy teams. So, GET SOME REBOUNDS DAMMIT.

• Premium Member

I have not read this thread fully but it is like this.

Marvin's role or expectation from me has changed. I just want him to be the best man defender on 3's and 4's on the court. I want him to rebound like he is Rodman. I want him to get out on the wings and finish or get to the line.

That's about it.

I have to admit, I bit. He is on both of my fantasy teams. So, GET SOME REBOUNDS DAMMIT.

The problem with this is that you don't get a player and hope that he can conform to a role. Marvin is not that great of a man defender. He's OK at best. Certain SFs just blow right past him. The Hawks fans have spent 6 years grasping for something to qualify Marvin for all that has been given to him, but the truth is that he's nothing special. Better stated, he's average or mediocre. Sure he has some great potential but that well has dried up. Potential without the will to realize it is nothing. So, for another year, the excuse machine is cranked up. What have we heard so far:

" He's better than other 5th options."

" He's a role player."

" He's a really good man on defender."

The truth is that Marvin is just mediocre in all aspects of his game. On some nights, he might get you something ,it just depends on what he feels like doing. On other nights, you get the big Zilch. I can't believe people still defend him and make excuses for him... and lastly still have this great "HOPE" that he will all the sudden have a breakout year.

"Humph. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness. "

-The architect.

• Premium Member

I remember when Tony Mandarich was drafted by the Packers in the NFL oh so many years ago. This was a man considered to be a revolution to the offensive line, a player so dominant that he would forever change the position and how defenses would respond.

We all know what happened to him in Green Bay. He was an unmitigated bust in Green Bay, a player nowhere near where he was picked (also second in the draft, ahead of future Hall of Famers like Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Derrick Thomas etc) and the Packers forever lament what might have been had they picked someone else.

What most people don't remember is that Mandarich quietly came back and played for the Colts from 96-98. He was a good, not great, but better than average starter for them. The Colts didn't consider him a bust, their fans certainly didn't, he was just a faceless guy that played a little better than most starters but no Pro Bowler, just what he was.

I have always considered Marvin to be like Mandarich. He's always be our colossal bust but if he goes to another team (which I think is a trade we should make) and plays a little better than average (which is pretty much what we have from him now) then to that team he'll be exactly that: a little better than average starter that wasn't your bust.

• Moderators

Its funny because our last 50 win 2nd round playoff team never could fill the 3 to anyone's satisfaction. We kept Ty Corbin in the league because we couldn't find anyone better. Here we are again.

as long as we're winning i'm not going to complain. At least i feel like LD will be open to change.

• Like 1

The problem with this is that you don't get a player and hope that he can conform to a role. Marvin is not that great of a man defender. He's OK at best. Certain SFs just blow right past him. The Hawks fans have spent 6 years grasping for something to qualify Marvin for all that has been given to him, but the truth is that he's nothing special. Better stated, he's average or mediocre. Sure he has some great potential but that well has dried up. Potential without the will to realize it is nothing. So, for another year, the excuse machine is cranked up. What have we heard so far:

" He's better than other 5th options."

" He's a role player."

" He's a really good man on defender."

The truth is that Marvin is just mediocre in all aspects of his game. On some nights, he might get you something ,it just depends on what he feels like doing. On other nights, you get the big Zilch. I can't believe people still defend him and make excuses for him... and lastly still have this great "HOPE" that he will all the sudden have a breakout year.

"Humph. Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness. "

-The architect.

This is pretty much true, I think he's better than an okay defender since the contenders have a SF who's physical and Marvin probably defends physical SF's better than anyone in the NBA. That right there is why he's too important to trade. Other than that, I agree. He shows flashes a lot and if you watch him on tape you feel you can get it out of him with the right coach but it's not the coach problem, it's Marvin. Thankfully he can guard Lebron, Artest, Pierce, and Melo even if he can't guard Iggy, Granger, Wallace, VC, and Thornton.

• Moderators

I remember when Tony Mandarich was drafted by the Packers in the NFL oh so many years ago. This was a man considered to be a revolution to the offensive line, a player so dominant that he would forever change the position and how defenses would respond.

We all know what happened to him in Green Bay. He was an unmitigated bust in Green Bay, a player nowhere near where he was picked (also second in the draft, ahead of future Hall of Famers like Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, Derrick Thomas etc) and the Packers forever lament what might have been had they picked someone else.

What most people don't remember is that Mandarich quietly came back and played for the Colts from 96-98. He was a good, not great, but better than average starter for them. The Colts didn't consider him a bust, their fans certainly didn't, he was just a faceless guy that played a little better than most starters but no Pro Bowler, just what he was.

I have always considered Marvin to be like Mandarich. He's always be our colossal bust but if he goes to another team (which I think is a trade we should make) and plays a little better than average (which is pretty much what we have from him now) then to that team he'll be exactly that: a little better than average starter that wasn't your bust.

I agree with this except I don't think Marvin has been as bad for us as Madarich was for the Packers and I don't think we should trade Marvin just to get rid of our "what could have been had we just drafted...." guy. If we trade him, which is fine with me, we need to upgrade our talent.

Edited by AHF

I agree with this except I don't think Marvin has been as bad for us as Madarich was for the Packers and I don't think we should trade Marvin just to get rid of our "what could have been had we just drafted...." guy. If we trade him, which is fine with me, we need to upgrade our talent.

We don't have enough shots to go around to add that talent. The bottom-line is Marvin is average. He's a great glue guy and guards physical SF's better than anyone in the NBA. We only have 5-9 shots left after Bibby, Joe, Josh, Al, Jamal, and Zaza gets theirs. So who could we add who is an upgrade and can guard contenders SF's since none of the contenders have finesse SF's? I would take 10 centers in the NBA over Kendrick Perkins but Perkins can guard most centers in the NBA, especially Dwight. Right now, we would die to have Perkins because he have no one who can guard Dwight. Trading Perkins would be critial for Boston as it would hurt them once the playoffs start. That's the same issue I have with trading Marvin, who is going to guard Lebron, Melo when he comes to the East, Pierce, and if we get to the Finals, Artest? That's why Marvin is too important to trade. More important than even Jamal.

Let me know the upgrade that you guys are talking about, the potential issue is larger than the upgrade itself.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

No, Marvin has been nothing like the locker room cancer Mandarich was for the Packers or as horrible on the field. I think we should trade Marvin for a legit upgrade to the SF position not just to dump him, I probably should have clarified that better.

I just find so many parallels to Marvin and Mandarich.

• Premium Member

I recall Eric Dickerson talking about playing for those colts. He said something to the effect that he left the Rams who had an exceptional offensive line to play with a team whoose offensive linemen came off the docks.

I'm sorry to write that but Marvin was so bad vs Wizards that Joe had to play most of his minutes at 3 because Thorton was killing us.

BTW, Marvin fell down on the court at least twice without a reason.

He was just horrible.

• Premium Member

I recall Eric Dickerson talking about playing for those colts. He said something to the effect that he left the Rams who had an exceptional offensive line to play with a team whoose offensive linemen came off the docks.

You are off about ten years when ED played for the Colts and when Mandarich played for them.

Oh boy, this is like shooting fish in a barrel while using an Uzi or an AK-47....

I guess I'm a hater too then. I didn't like selection six years ago and the Hawks are still paying the price with interest now. BTW, how did that Josh Childress pick work out, folks?

I said it six years ago that they will regret not usurping BK's authority and allowing him to bypass (insert point guard here) to get him. When you're drafting that high, especially after a give-up 13-69 season, you'd better come away with a franchise player, not a go-along-to-get-along glue guy; that's what the D-League, Euroleague, second-tier free agents, and the mid-first round is for. With that high a pick, we should be talking about whether he'll sign an extention with us or pursue free agency, how he got screwed out of starting in the All-Star game because JJ and Horford was already selected, or how he's the second-best SF in our team's history to Nique; not whether he can average 15/7 in a single season. Folks want to forget about where he was picked but again, those kind of moves are why we're still waiting on long-term stability at the point guard position in the first place.

How many folks have the Notorious A.S.G. had to pay because of BK's cracked-up vision of Marvin being James Worthy with a jump shot? When they retire, Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue should owe half of the pension checks to BK. Does Speedy Claxton's Armani suit collection still make you shiver with pain? How about trading for Bibby and his then-monstrous deal ($12M+) then having to re-up him because there's no one else? Or how about having to draft Salim Stoudamire? Or was that Acie Law? Wait a minute, Jeff Teague is here now, maybe he'll be the answer...

If 15/7 is what folks are hoping/dreaming/wishing/praying/pleading for Marvin to produce one day, we better be on bended knee praying for Smith and/or Horford to pull some 20/11s out of their backsides for the duration of their stay here. That's the only way they'll be sniffing games in June...