• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would Brooks Lopez or Kaman solve our Problem?

Diesel

• Premium Member

OK...

Watching last night. I know that nobody can stop Howard. But my thought was that maybe the thing is that we lack inside scoring? True inside scoring. Horf plays offense like a PF. He's a bull against Smaller competition but against a big, he becomes Karl Malone late in life shooting from High Post. Smoove also gets softer.

So the question is would a guy like Brook Lopez be a fix?

Maybe I'm just frustrated that Howard had 5 fouls and instead of driving at him, we decided to not risk allowing him to raise his block total and we started to shoot from outside. Sure we may get some wide open looks, but that doesn't mean that we abandon the inside play.

So would Brook Lopez or Kaman be a fix?

Well, first of all, Lopez got Shut down by Howard a few nights ago.

Kaman's output vs. Howard...

Last year:

16 pts, 9 rebs, 36% shooting in 37 minutes. (Howard shot 70% and scored 25).

12 pts, 6 rebs, 55% shooting in 26 minutes (Howard shot 75%, scored 22, rebound 15).

It looks hopeless. But what would Lopez and Al do?

Hmm..

Smoove/Marvin to Denver. Melo to NJ. Lopez, Murphy, and Balkman to Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Even though Howard got his points, I thought Jason Collins did an outstanding job on him and allowed the other guys to stay at home for the most part. I think Horford and Josh are doing a great job at the 3 and 4 and I would be hesitant to move either one. However, if the Hawks could get another guy like Collins, not to mention a Lopez or Kaman, without moving Al or Josh, it would defenitely help.

Jason held his ground, Howard was just having a good night....those 3 point plays were killers and he was really just throwing those up and getting lucky so I dont have a problem at all with the defense from last night.

as far as the offense goes I love Horf being what he is, if you want to blame someone for not attacking blame our guards.....we need dribble penetration not a back em down bang em center....Horf fits this offense perfectly for the 5 spot.

• Admin

OK...

Watching last night. I know that nobody can stop Howard. But my thought was that maybe the thing is that we lack inside scoring? True inside scoring. Horf plays offense like a PF. He's a bull against Smaller competition but against a big, he becomes Karl Malone late in life shooting from High Post. Smoove also gets softer.

So the question is would a guy like Brook Lopez be a fix?

Maybe I'm just frustrated that Howard had 5 fouls and instead of driving at him, we decided to not risk allowing him to raise his block total and we started to shoot from outside. Sure we may get some wide open looks, but that doesn't mean that we abandon the inside play.

So would Brook Lopez or Kaman be a fix?

Well, first of all, Lopez got Shut down by Howard a few nights ago.

Kaman's output vs. Howard...

Last year:

16 pts, 9 rebs, 36% shooting in 37 minutes. (Howard shot 70% and scored 25).

12 pts, 6 rebs, 55% shooting in 26 minutes (Howard shot 75%, scored 22, rebound 15).

It looks hopeless. But what would Lopez and Al do?

Hmm..

Smoove/Marvin to Denver. Melo to NJ. Lopez, Murphy, and Balkman to Atlanta.

We are not going to get Lopez. NJ will not be handing him off for Melo or SMith/Marvin. He is a top 5 maybe even a top 3 center in this league.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the biggest need we have is SF and PG defense. That may be a little unfair for SF with Marvin out. I think the biggest move we could make would be a subtle move to bring in a player like Dahntay Jones or something. Any way Indy would trade us Jones for Mo Evans and 2011 2nd round pick? Their salaries are almost identical.

• Premium Member

Well, if we had had Gortat against Orlando, we win that game for sure. I'd rather have Gortat than Kaman to be honest. Not just because I don't want to give up Josh for Kaman, but because I would seriously take Gortat straight up instead of Kaman any day. Kaman is the most overrated sucky Center I've ever seen. The guy is not even a better rebounder than Josh the last two years, plays no defense and is a dreadfully inefficient offensive player. Kaman is a nice player to have if you are the 20 win Clippers, for any decent team in the NBA though the guy is dead weight.

Honestly though, I would much rather address our perimeter defense. I mean our biggest weakness resides in the fact that two of our most effective shooters and scorers, are also flat out awful defensive players. If we could somehow upgrade Bibby or Jamal for a more balanced player it would help us more than any other Center we could conceivably acquire. After last night, I would take the Pistons offer of Prince / Bynum in a heart beat. Sure, it hurts to get rid of Jamal's awesome explosive offense, but good god, the guy is ALMOST as bad as Bibby on defense... Teague, well, he seems a few years away from being a good option for a playoff team, and I don't think we can afford for him to develop his game the way we did with Josh Smith. Bottom line, I think at this stage if we have the opportunity to sacrifice some of our offense for some defense we need to get the deal done. Every championship team has proven that without defense you aren't winning squat in the playoffs.

Kaman no, Lopez offensively and with Horford yes, but defensively no.

When did Lopez or Kaman start guarding people on the perimeter, because that is the Hawks' biggest problem right now.

Well, if we had had Gortat against Orlando, we win that game for sure. I'd rather have Gortat than Kaman to be honest. Not just because I don't want to give up Josh for Kaman, but because I would seriously take Gortat straight up instead of Kaman any day. Kaman is the most overrated sucky Center I've ever seen. The guy is not even a better rebounder than Josh the last two years, plays no defense and is a dreadfully inefficient offensive player. Kaman is a nice player to have if you are the 20 win Clippers, for any decent team in the NBA though the guy is dead weight.

Honestly though, I would much rather address our perimeter defense. I mean our biggest weakness resides in the fact that two of our most effective shooters and scorers, are also flat out awful defensive players. If we could somehow upgrade Bibby or Jamal for a more balanced player it would help us more than any other Center we could conceivably acquire. After last night, I would take the Pistons offer of Prince / Bynum in a heart beat. Sure, it hurts to get rid of Jamal's awesome explosive offense, but good god, the guy is ALMOST as bad as Bibby on defense... Teague, well, he seems a few years away from being a good option for a playoff team, and I don't think we can afford for him to develop his game the way we did with Josh Smith. Bottom line, I think at this stage if we have the opportunity to sacrifice some of our offense for some defense we need to get the deal done. Every championship team has proven that without defense you aren't winning squat in the playoffs.

Maybe, just maybe, the fans of this team will stop the incessant focus on the center position and start focusing on this team's real problem. Their lack of perimeter defense, particularly with Marvin out.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dwight is what he is... Just a big damn dude that is a tremendous presence in the paint. The only person that can shut him down is himself. I don't care who we bring in, it won't matter. Beating Orlando isn't about stopping Howard or sending a guy at him that will get him in trouble. Boston beat the brakes off of them and they got what...Perkins? LA took them downtown to Chinatown with Pau Gasoft.

The best thing we can do against the Magic is focus on those shooters on the perimeter and PLAY OUR GAME on the other end. Our boys went out there and played like men and fought a good one. Despite that damn truck they have in the middle, we could have walked away with that one. (credit Orlando's defense too because they are not slack)

Gritty games like that are what the playoffs are about and the winner will be the guys that get out there and get it done - no excuses. The Lakers, Celtics, and Heat don't care who's in the middle for Orlando. They got a plan, come to execute it, and they play to win. Our guys need some of that swagger and they need to quit playing like fairies when teams buck up and make a run.

Good game though. Man, I got no complaints...that was a tough one and they came in there and damn near walked out with it. And Drew puts the cherry on the cake...screw a moral victory. lol That's what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

• Moderators

With apologies to overpriced men's clothing shops everywhere, I'd rather take a flyer on Brooks' Brother.

As poorly as he's been playing, the upside is B-Lo's value is as low as it can get right now. Net fans are all-but-through with his lackadaisical effort and his subpar shooting and rebounding so far this season, but it remains to be seen if Avery and the team staff feel remotely the same way.

~lw3