Hawks Declined Thompson For Teague

suiluap

It wasn’t long ago that Jason Thompson, selected with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2008 draft, and Spencer Hawes were being touted as the Kings’ frontcourt tandem of the future.

Now?

Thompson is averaging just 15.4 minutes per game off the bench and has been shopped by the Kings, who according to one source with knowledge of the talks offered the 6-11, 250-pounder to Atlanta in a deal featuring young point guard Jeff Teague. The Hawks declined.

According to hoopsnotes.com

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/teams/atlanta/hawks-declined-thompson-for-teague/

Any thoughts ?

on trade checker the only trade that would work was teague/collins for thompson. you could switch out collins for thomas or powell and it would work also. however, powell has surprising outplayed thompson so far in the season and with the injuries, sund probably didn't want to rock the boat too hard.

one thing to look out for though is that if teague continues to struggle, the restrictions on thomas and powell are lifted on Dec 15.

if they wanted to look at trading teague,

teague/thomas for thompson

bibby/crawford

johnson/crawford

williams/evans/sy

smith/powell/thompson (easily switchable)

horford/pachulia

I guess Dalembert, Evans, & Landry are eating those frontcourt minutes in SacTown.

Thompson looked really good his first 2 years. It shows alot of what the Hawks think of Teague to turn down a big for small deal like that.

Edited by coachx

I'm surprised they did. The Hawks are short-handed in the point guard spot, but I thought they would do it to add more depth in the front-court. JP is a fairly average role player, but having Jason Thompson come off the bench for Josh Smith would be great. Plus, it's not like Teague has shown great flashes this season. Like coachx said, that really tells you how much the front office believes in Teague. If that was Acie Law, we would have done the trade in a heart beat.

Teague hasn't been stellar but getting rid of him and not getting a PG in return doesn't make bball sense. To get something of greater value he has to be packaged with something else.

Jason Thompson would of been a heck of an upgrade over Zaza. I would of did this then traded Craw-filler for a PG.

Speaking of Zaza, what's up with hime, he started off the season so good, getting rebounds and making good plays on offense...he hasn't done anything of significance of late.

• Moderators

I guess Dalembert, Evans, & Landry are eating those frontcourt minutes in SacTown.

Thompson looked really good his first 2 years. It shows alot of what the Hawks think of Teague to turn down a big for small deal like that.

Also, they have future stud DeMarcus Cousins who is playing pretty well for the Kings.

Sund is an idiot. Thompson's shot may be broken so far at the start of the season but he has been and still is far and away a more valuable player than Powell. Holding on to Teague in that instance just shows that either Sund lacks the ability or confidence to find another deal for a PG or is just prideful that he took Teague over three other PGs that have outperformed his pick.

Seriously, if all of the spending is demonstrating a win now mentality then why draft a project at guard when you had the more ready made players in Collison and Maynor sitting on the board? Then even more puzzling is that he can scour the hillsides of France to find a Pape Sy but then he whiffs on a Beaubois? The reasoning just isn't consistent. *sigh*

• Premium Member

If true, that's definitely a surprise. Thompson is a young big who has shown that he can score and defend. He's not great at anything, but he's not a ham and egger like some of our bigs. My guess is LD really believes that Teague is the future.

I believe in Teague but damn, that's two to three years away. But I would the same if I was Sund.

TBH, I can't really see it from the Kings' perspective considering that Tyreke is the primary ball handler for that team with a shaky shot and there's no way that Teague would space the floor for him but if it was really just a Teague for Thompson swap then Sund and the Kings' GM ( is it Geof Petrie?) are fools. If it was Teague and a 1st then I could understand, if it was Jamal and Teague for Beno and Thompson then I could understand, if it's a tax issue then I hate it but understand, but anything else and I'm banging my head on the wall.

• Moderators

Depends on the timing, assuming the offer was partially true.

If it was offered during the summer and we responded, "No, thanks, Geoff, we got Etan Thomas on line two," then I'd have reason to shake my fist.

But otherwise, it's too late now to give consideration to that transaction. Presumably we'd have to give up a second-rounder or something to make it even out. We'd be knee-deep in questionable frontcourt reserves. And we'd be looking for somebody as a reliable stopgap for Bibby, either due to his limited defense or in case of a potential injury.

~lw3

• Premium Member

Thompson has the strength and defensive instincts of a teacup poodle. No way. He is a tall leaper with a terrible basketball IQ, no toughness, and absolutely no defensive ability. At least Zaza isn't afraid to mix it up (and has the body type to do it) and at least Collins has the immovable object thing down. Jason Thompson is Solomon Jones with a better jump shot.

And this, of course, is subject to the caveat that I don't think this deal was ever really discussed.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1