• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign Damien Wilkins

DeacKillsaDevil

Happy For the signing, but when he was with Memphis in the Pre-Season he didn't look to good.......

Still solid signing, but is it a one year deal, ten day contract, or what?

From AJC Hawks Blog:

They quickly added that type of free agent in the wake of Joe Johnson’s surgery, signing veteran swingman Damien Wilkins to a prorated veteran’s minimum contract today.

“I think we’ll get a hard-nosed player, a guy who plays hard,” coach Larry Drew said. “A good defensive player who gives us a guy with size that can defend the [shooting guard] and the [small forward] spot. I’m more focused on his energy and the toughness that he brings and he’s a solid defensive player. That’s something you can never have enough of. We are very pleased to have him on board.”

So I guess it's not a 10-day right?

From AJC Hawks Blog:

They quickly added that type of free agent in the wake of Joe Johnson’s surgery, signing veteran swingman Damien Wilkins to a prorated veteran’s minimum contract today.

“I think we’ll get a hard-nosed player, a guy who plays hard,” coach Larry Drew said. “A good defensive player who gives us a guy with size that can defend the [shooting guard] and the [small forward] spot. I’m more focused on his energy and the toughness that he brings and he’s a solid defensive player. That’s something you can never have enough of. We are very pleased to have him on board.”

According to Michael Cunnigham, if WIlkins is on the team till Jan 15, his contract becomes fully guareenteed for the rest of the year.

From AJC Hawks Blog:

Yup Sounds like he is with us for the year.....

He was with Memphis when they came to ATL for the pre-season opener

I like what LD is doing, Woddy would have brought back Mario for his 5 sec. energy defense...

Hmmm...that's right about the time JJ will be coming back. I would guess though, that if he shows well, we will have him for the whole year.

This also gives us some depth for a trade (JC1 and/or MW/ME/etc) once JJ gets back to the team.

• Premium Member

I know it's been said several times, but FINALLY! I was looking at Stackhouse but this signing makes more sense. Damien has a lot of tools to work with, but seldom got the chance to show what he can do. It'll be interesting to see how he performs with the Hawks. I hope he pulls a J POW times ten and impresses early. Good signing Sund! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Larry Drew must really hate Jordan Crawford. :question: Or they can just be signing Wilkins for insurance who knows.

Um, we need a defensive minded 3 on this team. We've got enough sg's.(Mo Evans is a sg also btw) No knock against Crawford at all here. H's time will come when Jamal or Mo leaves. I love the signing.

• Moderators

When was the last time Marvin scored 41 points? High School? Middle School? I'm not gonna go out the limb and say if given Marvin he could at least average Marvin's numbers.

Marvin's TS% = .537

Damien's TS% = .507

Damien's career high TS% is less than Marvin's TS% for each of the last four seasons and is less than Marvin's career average.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if Damien outscores Marvin over the course of a season that it speaks more to volume than quality scoring.

Edited by AHF

I most def am !

I'm a big Wilkens fan from his days at UGA. The guy played everything from PG to PF for us under Harrick. He has a high BBIQ. He has his best games in Atlanta. I like him more then Mo Evans for sure. He is a much better ball handler and passer then Mo and is bigger. Both are above average on defense. I hope Wilkens is in shape enough to play.

One thing is for sure. If Marvin pulls his dissapearing act Damien will give quality minutes. at SF. He has the handles to play SG too.

Sounds like a good signing. I don't know anything about this kid, but I trust coachx's assesment!

Russ.....give me a call. I have some great cheap seats for tonite if u want to go and its not too late,

Marvin's TS% = .537

Damien's TS% = .507

Damien's career high TS% is less than Marvin's TS% for each of the last four seasons and is less than Marvin's career average.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if Damien outscores Marvin over the course of a season that it speaks more to volume than quality scoring.

Marvin is quite precise with his 7 shots a game. Im sure Damien is a bit more aggressive offensively.

• Moderators

Marvin is quite precise with his 7 shots a game. Im sure Damien is a bit more aggressive offensively.

Really? Per 36 minutes, Marvin's career average is 13.6 ppg. Damien's average per 36 minutes is 12.4 and has only one season over 13 pp36 in his career where he matched Marvin's average of 13.6.

So it looks like Marvin is both more efficient and productive as a scorer in the same minutes.

I'm not gonna get to excited about a guy who wasn't on an NBA team after four weeks. The guy had like 6 good games in his career and they all came against the Hawks. Unfortunately for Damien, the Hawks don't play themselves this year.

Good signing.

If he only had good games AGAINST the Hawks, now we know that he will not be able to

do that again this season. As they say, an ounce of prevention - - -

True, he ain't great or he wouldn't be available because he had no team. But, he has shown

a lot against Atlanta, so just maybe this will light a fire under him. We hope so.

:newspaper:

• Like 2

Really? Per 36 minutes, Marvin's career average is 13.6 ppg. Damien's average per 36 minutes is 12.4 and has only one season over 13 pp36 in his career where he matched Marvin's average of 13.6.

So it looks like Marvin is both more efficient and productive as a scorer in the same minutes.

06-09 Marvin is gone now though (I miss him) We are stuck now with a 7-8 shot, less aggressive Marvin now.

Good signing.

If he only had good games AGAINST the Hawks, now we know that he will not be able to

do that again this season. As they say, an ounce of prevention - - -

True, he ain't great or he wouldn't be available because he had no team. But, he has shown

a lot against Atlanta, so just maybe this will light a fire under him. We hope so.

:newspaper:

Also...while Memphis is no juggernaut, they do have a lot of talent on that team. At some point on the roster the GM has to draw the line as say the rest of the guys will be rooks or min salary guys. His veteran status may heave worked against him.

Hawks may be a better fit for him...maybe. Hopefully he will get a soild chance and take advantage of it. Even if he is just in the Mario-ish role at least we know he can score the ball. Mario type energy and D with a bit of scoring would be just fine with me.

I also agree that this signing shouldn't be seen as an anti-JC2 move. It shouldn't effect his development or future at the two guard.

• Moderators

06-09 Marvin is gone now though (I miss him) We are stuck now with a 7-8 shot, less aggressive Marvin now.

Damien Wilkins last season he averaged 10.2 pp36 minutes - far below Marvin's lowest season ever. I don't see any basis in the numbers for your claims but I hope you are right because I like Wilkins, think he has enough diversity of skill to be able to be a role player with us, and really hope he succeeds. If he is good enough to supplant Marvin, then all the better.

....I like Wilkins, think he has enough diversity of skill to be able to be a role player with us, and really hope he succeeds. If he is good enough to supplant Marvin, then all the better.

Well not to jump into your talk - but I certainly don't see him supplanting Marvin...more of a quality depth guy. They were just talking about him on Hawks pre-game and mentioned that he's 30 years old. For some reason I thought he was more like 27.

Older ya get the more you lose track of time I guess :rolleyes: .

• Premium Member

I was at that Wilkins/Durant vs Hawks game unfortunately. What a heart breaker, that Durant 3 to win the game was such a lucky shot. It's funny how much things have changed since that game though. The Hawks were still an "up and coming" team and Joe Johnson was obviously our best player. During the "lets go Hawks" chants most of the people around me were instead chanting "lets go Joe". Now here we are a few years later and the perception of Joe has changed so much. If he was out 4-6 weeks back then I think most of the fans would have already been talking about a top 3 lottery pick.