• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looks like the Hawks got rid of a Wilkins, AGAIN

drzachary

Can't let that contract get guaranteed plus there are plenty of 10 days that could come in and do what he did which is really only manage to outperform Mo Evans.

He didn't outperform Mo, just played better man defense and even then he fouled too much. Wilkins just isn't a NBA caliber player anymore. I like him but it's time for him to go into another profession. I don't even see him fitting in Europe and no point for Damien going to the D-League. Mo Evans is your average 8th to 9th man off your bench. Nothing good, just average with one or two strengths which aren't always effective.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't want to be too dramatic here, but this doesn't sit right with me if it's a permanent move. I liked Wilkins and did not agree with him getting his already meager minutes cut after JJ came back. He outperformed Mo and looked like the best man defender on the team to me. We needed that defense on the perimeter. He just seemed to be getting comfortable in the offense as well. If this is just a move to get out of guaranteeing his contract, fine I can understand that. Just sign him for the rest of the season afterwards because I honestly think the Hawks are going to need him come Playoff time.

• Like 4

I'd rather the team give 10 day contracts to young guys and see if one of them can develop.

Yeah, this is basically so it isn't guaranteed as others have said. Leaves us with options with that 15th spot as the season rolls along. And I agree, we should take a shot at some youngish energy. Granted, he's a scorer and not what we need, but there are guys like Trey Johnson that would be interesting to give a 10-day.

Someone is full of energy and ready to do what Wilkins does.

Seems like a money move to me. The Hawks still have 13 players under contract, so if this was about having space to bring in another FA then that doesn't make sense. The idea that it is to free up space to accomodate a trade is a good one, but I don't think its true (really hope I'm wrong on this). The best explanation is that Wilkins contract was about to be garuanteed for the rest of the season and the ASG didn't to commit the dollars.

He didn't outperform Mo, just played better man defense and even then he fouled too much. Wilkins just isn't a NBA caliber player anymore. I like him but it's time for him to go into another profession. I don't even see him fitting in Europe and no point for Damien going to the D-League. Mo Evans is your average 8th to 9th man off your bench. Nothing good, just average with one or two strengths which aren't always effective.

He clearly outplayed Mo Evans....Mo has been horrible this year and despite shooting a horrific 37% on FG and 29% from 3PT, he has had plenty opportunity with Marvin playing poor early and being injured twice this year! Mo is supposed to be a guy counted on for onball defense, but he constantly get scored on and he fouls ridiculously too much to be a perimeter defender...Just in the last 3 games, he got smashed in OKC and LAC, then Tyreke flat out dogged Mo over and over on offense AND defense...Last year Mo came was nearly automatic from corner 3PT, but this year his shot has been worse than J-Smoove's...Damien was decent and shoulda got more minutes, Mo should be the on waived right now...

I don't get the negativity towards Wilkins. Maybe I was seeing things, but he was our most impressive defender in his short time here. Have you ever seen anyone play LeBron better than Wilkins did? In his first game of the season no less. He had rough night last night, but an air ball or helpless turnover and a bad foul are nightly occurrences for Mo. He's at worst an equally capable offensive player to Mo, but I think he could be better there as well.

I get the financial reasons for the move, but it's just frustrating that he was never really given a chance to help us while Mo continues to get consistent minutes. That combined with the overall questionable bench management. Apparently Powell was kidnapped a few weeks ago and no one alerted the authorities.

• Like 3

Seems like a money move to me. The Hawks still have 13 players under contract, so if this was about having space to bring in another FA then that doesn't make sense. The idea that it is to free up space to accomodate a trade is a good one, but I don't think its true (really hope I'm wrong on this). The best explanation is that Wilkins contract was about to be garuanteed for the rest of the season and the ASG didn't to commit the dollars.

Pape Sy makes it fourteen. He still under contract even if he's in the NBDL.

He clearly outplayed Mo Evans....Mo has been horrible this year and despite shooting a horrific 37% on FG and 29% from 3PT, he has had plenty opportunity with Marvin playing poor early and being injured twice this year! Mo is supposed to be a guy counted on for onball defense, but he constantly get scored on and he fouls ridiculously too much to be a perimeter defender...Just in the last 3 games, he got smashed in OKC and LAC, then Tyreke flat out dogged Mo over and over on offense AND defense...Last year Mo came was nearly automatic from corner 3PT, but this year his shot has been worse than J-Smoove's...Damien was decent and shoulda got more minutes, Mo should be the on waived right now...

Mo was much better offensively even if he's having a down year for himself. His quickness makes him versatile on defense and can play on and off the ball. Once teams realized Wilkins can play man really well, they started setting plays where a pick was set on Wilkins and they were scoring every-time and Wilkins was useless on offense. To me, there are no comparisons. Wilkins wasn't NBA caliber, he's not spot caliber like Mario West was and he's not a role player like Mo Evans.

• Like 1

I don't want to be too dramatic here, but this doesn't sit right with me if it's a permanent move. I liked Wilkins and did not agree with him getting his already meager minutes cut after JJ came back. He outperformed Mo and looked like the best man defender on the team to me. We needed that defense on the perimeter. He just seemed to be getting comfortable in the offense as well. If this is just a move to get out of guaranteeing his contract, fine I can understand that. Just sign him for the rest of the season afterwards because I honestly think the Hawks are going to need him come Playoff time.

If the Hawks stick with the BIG lineup, and LD has hinted that they will, there's no minutes for Damien with Josh and Marvin at sf, and Joe, Jamal, and Mo at sg. And Mo's contract is guaranteed so they cant waive him. Teague will pushed further down the depth chart too(If thats even possible). Good thing is It also opens up a roster spot.

• Premium Member

I don't get the negativity towards Wilkins. Maybe I was seeing things, but he was our most impressive defender in his short time here. Have you ever seen anyone play LeBron better than Wilkins did? In his first game of the season no less. He had rough night last night, but an air ball or helpless turnover and a bad foul are nightly occurrences for Mo. He's at worst an equally capable offensive player to Mo, but I think he could be better there as well.

I get the financial reasons for the move, but it's just frustrating that he was never really given a chance to help us while Mo continues to get consistent minutes. That combined with the overall questionable bench management. Apparently Powell was kidnapped a few weeks ago and no one alerted the authorities.

^^^ This. I just don't get why guys like Powell and Wilkins were left to rot on the bench when they actually provided value in areas of need. Powell was a decent scorer and rebounder in backup minutes before he went MIA. Wilkins was a shutdown perimeter defender and was just getting into an offensive groove before his minutes were cut. I remember posts saying we needed a perimeter defender and that's exactly what Wilkins brought to the table...FOR PEANUTS. People complain about the bench sucking outside of Jamal but these guys were actually playing their roles off the bench perfectly when given the chance to do so. These are the type of guys we'll NEED come Playoff time. I know there has to be more people who understand this???? :cant believe: