• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Looks like the Hawks got rid of a Wilkins, AGAIN

drzachary

• Moderators

The players (Oh, no, not you Joe) say that nothing gets them going more than the roar of the crowd, the crowd that so many (OK, both) of you have been a part of with us. So we cheer. And shout. (And trim the budget.) And roar. Come roar with us. Come be part of the dream. (Oh, no, not you Damien, you go home, 'kay?)

~lw3

• Premium Member

I don't get the negativity towards Wilkins. Maybe I was seeing things, but he was our most impressive defender in his short time here. Have you ever seen anyone play LeBron better than Wilkins did? In his first game of the season no less. He had rough night last night, but an air ball or helpless turnover and a bad foul are nightly occurrences for Mo. He's at worst an equally capable offensive player to Mo, but I think he could be better there as well.

I get the financial reasons for the move, but it's just frustrating that he was never really given a chance to help us while Mo continues to get consistent minutes. That combined with the overall questionable bench management. Apparently Powell was kidnapped a few weeks ago and no one alerted the authorities.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why he didn't get much playing time after being quite impressive defensively earlier. Had Wilkins played more and shined, there would have been more pressure on the Hawks to guarantee his contract, which they didn't want to do.

• Premium Member

Pape Sy makes it fourteen. He still under contract even if he's in the NBDL.

Mo was much better offensively even if he's having a down year for himself. His quickness makes him versatile on defense and can play on and off the ball. Once teams realized Wilkins can play man really well, they started setting plays where a pick was set on Wilkins and they were scoring every-time and Wilkins was useless on offense. To me, there are no comparisons. Wilkins wasn't NBA caliber, he's not spot caliber like Mario West was and he's not a role player like Mo Evans.

What the heck are you talking about? Mo Evans has one of the lowest PERs in the entire NBA. He has been abysmal on offense all season shooting 36% from the field and 28% from the three point line. Damien Wilkins was a CLEAR upgrade (47% from the field) over Mo in every facet of the game, both offense and defense. Why Drew continues to give Mo Evans ANY minutes over the likes of Damien Wilkins, Jeff Teague (who is playing a lot better than most people are giving him credit for), and Josh Powell is a complete mystery. This move is 100% financial, and it doesn't improve our team in any shape way or form. Anything that indicates more minutes for Mo Evans is bad thing, he is the worst SF in the entire NBA this year.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

He didn't outperform Mo, just played better man defense and even then he fouled too much. Wilkins just isn't a NBA caliber player anymore. I like him but it's time for him to go into another profession. I don't even see him fitting in Europe and no point for Damien going to the D-League. Mo Evans is your average 8th to 9th man off your bench. Nothing good, just average with one or two strengths which aren't always effective.

Someone will have to explain to me how that was worth -4 rep points. That wasn't even particularly critical (much less unfairly so) by HS standards.

I agree that Damien looked better than Mo in the time he was here. But if the big lineup is going to be seeing more minutes, Damien and Mo were gonna get the squeeze once Marvin comes back and there really wouldn't have been much point in having them both. Mo is under a guaranteed contract and is getting paid $2.5M whether we start him, play him, or cut him. Damien's contract was not guaranteed. Besides, I'm thinking more and more that we need a PG for that last roster spot. We'll be stuck if Bibby goes down hurt and we don't have a roster spot open to sign a PG. I'll only b*tch if we don't make any rest-of-season signings or trades by the pre-playoffs deadline.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

He didn't outperform Mo, just played better man defense and even then he fouled too much. Wilkins just isn't a NBA caliber player anymore. I like him but it's time for him to go into another profession. I don't even see him fitting in Europe and no point for Damien going to the D-League. Mo Evans is your average 8th to 9th man off your bench. Nothing good, just average with one or two strengths which aren't always effective.

I don't agree with this post at all but it wasn't worth the -4.

• Moderators

After sleeping on it, maybe this was done to get Jordan Crawford more PT.

Not a stupid move.

I was thinking that too. It will be interesting to see if Teague, Jordan or Powell get back in the rotation. I'm not sure playing Horford 40 minutes a night is a good thing. Why not get some minutes with a Smoove/Zaza and Powell/Horford at the 4/5.