• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks have 4 All Star level players

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I can't think of another team with this much talent that's not being talked about as a possible contender?

I can't think of another team with this much talent that's not being talked about as a possible contender?

Because despite the fact we've got some good players, we've also got glaring weaknesses, and we're not an outstanding defensive team to where that can overcome our weaknesses, and the playyoffs are generally the place where your weaknesses will get *really* exposed. We also don't have that upper echelon, top tier type of player like a Kobe or LeButthead, but then again most teams don't.

• Like 1

simply because we're weak in the most important positions on the court....If one of those players you were talking about was a true point guard then I'm pretty sure we'd be getting some championship talk but our lineup is flawed and it is what it is

This team hasn't faired well against really good teams outside of Utah and Orlando... So why would people be talking about that?

The problem is no depth and Mike is no longer a starting NBA PG.

• Like 2

That's something that people don't fully get. It takes more that pure talent to win championships. Every team with a good offensive point guard has a chance to beat us. Until Smoove and AL develop a post game we will be in the same situation. Our team is soft and doesn't like contact. You guys hate Marvin's guts but he is the only on on the team that seems to be willing to take it to the hole and draw the foul consistently. Guys need to have defined roles instead of just going out there. Everybody can't average 20 points a game. We are seemingly moving in the right direction but we need to stop shooting so many jumpers. Smoove whether as a PF or SF won't be getting any open jumpers against Boston, Orlando, Miami, or Chicago. We dominate weak teams (like we suppose to) and pump our chests out like we did something. Our schedule has been very easy. We still don't have that defining win this season. I know that we have injuries this season.

I think that we need to see a starting lineup of Teague-Crawford-JJ-Smoove-Horf. I think that the Bibby-Marvin combo off the bench could be deadly. You can actually run plays for Marvin and have him moving around. Whenever he gets gets 10+ shots he produces but he can't be a part of the offense sharing the ball with Josh, JJ, Craw, and Horf. He needs to come off the bench. That would be the best bet for us to be successful.

I agree they that we have 4 all star caliber players but the issue is that they are four #2 - #3 all star caliber players when to get the leagues attention you gotta have a #1 .

IMO this is team, evaluation time and who shows up in the playoffs this year would be who stays to play Robin to whoever we trade who doesnt show up for Batman.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the league doesnt see Joe,Josh, or Al among the nba elite they are considered good player but below the Amares,Boozers etc of the league. Its why we have few national tv games and no xmas game but they put on the knicks ,GS and the Blazers ?

Its about perception and our players can either alter it or be moved its really all on them now .

I agree they that we have 4 all star caliber players but the issue is that they are four #2 - #3 all star caliber players when to get the leagues attention you gotta have a #1 .

IMO this is team, evaluation time and who shows up in the playoffs this year would be who stays to play Robin to whoever we trade who doesnt show up for Batman.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the league doesnt see Joe,Josh, or Al among the nba elite they are considered good player but below the Amares,Boozers etc of the league. Its why we have few national tv games and no xmas game but they put on the knicks ,GS and the Blazers ?

Its about perception and our players can either alter it or be moved its really all on them now .

You can tell this by the all star voting.

• Like 1

JJ has to take his game to another level for the Hawks to do anything in the playoffs.JJ has been one of the worst #1 options

in the playoffs the last 2 years.He has not shot well, and other #1 options get to the freethrow line 2x more than Joe

JOE

17.1ppg - 40.fg% - 3.9 FT attempts per game

Wade

31.1ppg -50%fg - 8.1 freethrow attempts per game

Pierce

19.9ppg -43%fg - 6.4 freethrow attempts per game

Lebron

32.2ppg - 50%fg 12.7 freethrow attempts per game

Rose

22.7ppg - 47%fg - 3.9 freethrow attempts per game

Dirk

26.7ppg - 53%fg - 8.4 freethrow attempts per game

Deron

22.2 ppg - 43%fg - 10.1 freethrow attempts per game

Kobe

29.6ppg - 45%fg - 8.2 freethrow attempts per game

Duncan

19.4 ppg - 52%fg - 6.4 freethrow attempts per game

Paul

21,9ppg - 48%fg - 5.8 freethrow attempts per game

Anthony

28.9ppg - 45%fg - 9.1 freethrow attempts per game

Iggy

17.3ppg - 39%fg - 7.6 freethrow attempts per game

Amare

22.5ppg - 52%fg - 8.1 freethrow attempts per game

Howard

19.1ppg - 60%fg - 9.9 freethrow attempts per game

Maybe LD's offense well help JJ be more successful in the playoffs , giving him more open shots and fewer ISOs.

• Premium Member

You live by the shot, you die by the shot.

We have talent, but it's centered around the 2-4 positions. We have 2 missing skillsets:

1. Floor General.

In a motion offense, it's not as needed, however, a true floor general will enhance the motion.

2. Low Post scorer.

Neither Al nor Smoove is a traditional back to the basket low post scorers. PLUS, we don't have guards or forwards that can score by driving. That means that we are a jump shooting team. We give token advances towards the rim. Therefore, good teams just pack it in, keep a hand in our faces and dare us to shoot. Our answer has been swing the ball and take the open shot. Well, that looks pretty when the shots are falling, but it's a mess when they aren't. So you see we have guys who can score and who knows all the moons might line up, but without that low post threat either by traditional low post play or by somebody attacking the goal, we can't get past really good teams.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

You live by the shot, you die by the shot.

We have talent, but it's centered around the 2-4 positions. We have 2 missing skillsets:

1. Floor General.

In a motion offense, it's not as needed, however, a true floor general will enhance the motion.

2. Low Post scorer.

Neither Al nor Smoove is a traditional back to the basket low post scorers. PLUS, we don't have guards or forwards that can score by driving. That means that we are a jump shooting team. We give token advances towards the rim. Therefore, good teams just pack it in, keep a hand in our faces and dare us to shoot. Our answer has been swing the ball and take the open shot. Well, that looks pretty when the shots are falling, but it's a mess when they aren't. So you see we have guys who can score and who knows all the moons might line up, but without that low post threat either by traditional low post play or by somebody attacking the goal, we can't get past really good teams.

Yep. Yep.

I keep thinking about this. The motion offense is great. It's the best thing for this team and was the remedy LONG before LD took over. Because of this one change, I have said (and will stand by it) that we will have better showings against better teams late in the year and in the playoffs. However, SOME ISO is necessary. We don't have a penetrating PG, Smoove can't do it, and it's not Horford's job. So we need JJ and Jamal breaking down the defense every now and again. It's the best we can do without a low post threat. BUT - I think having Joe and Jamal take turns running the point would work to our advantage. They're both good penetrators, passers, and have decent court vision (+1 I think to Jamal over JJ in that regard). Long term, and by that I mean within the next season and a half, it's going to be on Teague to sprout wings and get this done for us - or we need to see about getting us a floor general.

As is, I think we can be very good. I think we ARE very good. Although I am a proponent of change...I really like all of our pieces. We take a step back trading JJ, because he is the meat and potatoes of our offense. There are many teams that would want him as a #2 (or #1) and, opinions on his contract aside, we already have him. Horford is about the only untouchable piece we have and Smoove... Man, when I think about trading him, a lump forms in my throat.

I know the route to putting us over or keeping us in Averageville is directly tied to those three. I just wish we could do that Nash thing and buy them some more time. I'm hoping we catch a break like that. But barring such a pickup, or a major change to how the core plays, we're going to need to reevaluate in the next couple of seasons (especially considering Jamal's FA status. He's going to get some serious interest). I just don't want to see us sent home after the 2nd round for the next 4-5 years.

I think Horford could easily be a guy who scores a lot inside. Now that he has established his outside shot bigs have to come out on him. He is quick enough to beat almost all of them off the dribble. He just doesn't do it enough and when he does do it he is very predictable, shooting quickly without any fakes or change of direction.

He is already having a very big year, but his ability to hit those midrange shots really opens the door for him to be an Amare-lite type of player which frankly i never thought i would say.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

I think Horford could easily be a guy who scores a lot inside. Now that he has established his outside shot bigs have to come out on him. He is quick enough to beat almost all of them off the dribble. He just doesn't do it enough and when he does do it he is very predictable, shooting quickly without any fakes or change of direction.

He is already having a very big year, but his ability to hit those midrange shots really opens the door for him to be an Amare-lite type of player which frankly i never thought i would say.

You're talking about hopes and dreams and not reality.

The truth is that Horf is a high post PF. He doesn't have the confidence to "blow" past his defender from the high post or the baseline. We like to call Karl Malone, but he's not the Karl Malone yet. I would have him working out with Otis Thorpe. Thorpe was a high post guy who could put the ball on the floor and quickly turn. In fact, all those old dudes could dribble. Fundamentals aren't taught anymore.

The truth is that Horf is a high post PF. He doesn't have the confidence to "blow" past his defender from the high post or the baseline. We like to call Karl Malone, but he's not the Karl Malone yet. I would have him working out with Otis Thorpe. Thorpe was a high post guy who could put the ball on the floor and quickly turn. In fact, all those old dudes could dribble. Fundamentals aren't taught anymore.

He's much closer to Malone than Thorpe. He's better than Thorpe. He's a PnR PF with Bibby who is average at the PnR. Have you been watching Hedo. Very good PnR player and with Dwight is much better.

So is Amare. Amare is not a low post player.

In the past Horford didn't have the confidence to consistently take all the open midrange shots he was always given. Now he does and his making them at over a 50% clip. That is a fantasy that turned into a reality. It is much more reasonable now to believe that Horford could be effective off the dribble than it was to believe that he could shoot over 50% on jumpers. .