• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Im calling Marvin out.

Diesel

• Premium Member

No one can say with certainty that the pot is wrong because none of us are doctors who have examined Marvin. We can say, however, that the pot doesn't know what he's talking about.

Only time will tell.

I tried to move a sofa by myself like an idiot. Felt fine that night, but the next day I couldnt even get off the couch. Never had back problems before, and I must say, that was the worse thing I've ever had to deal with. Sorta made me depressed. Thats how bad it was. However, after taking some muscle relaxers and a few pain killers, I was back at work the next week. And I'm 40 yrs old and out of shape. Not judging Marvin or anything, but 3 weeks does seem like a long time. Especially when your 25 and supposedly in great shape. But playing basketball might take a tad bit more healing time, than managing a stock crew. lol! Just my 2 cents.

Edited by terrell

• Moderators

Back injuries just vary so much by person and incident. For example, Luke Walton missed 53 of 82 regular season games last year due to a back injury that lingered and recurred. They are tough to assess and predict. A few years ago, Stanislav Medvedenko ended his career due to back injury at age 26.

Back injuries can come and go or came be quite worrisome.

• Premium Member

Back injuries just vary so much by person and incident. For example, Luke Walton missed 53 of 82 regular season games last year due to a back injury that lingered and recurred. They are tough to assess and predict. A few years ago, Stanislav Medvedenko ended his career due to back injury at age 26.

Back injuries can come and go or came be quite worrisome.

No doubt.. But:

Plenty of episodes transpired this season that helped push Lakers forward Luke Walton into what he called a "dark moment."

He played in only 29 regular-season games because of a pinched nerve in his lower back. Even when he finally returned in mid-January, it took only a month before the pain returned. And then there's his father, Bill Walton, who went through similar problems with his spine, injuries that doctors believe aren't genetic in the Walton family but have been all too common.

What Walton had was a pinched nerve.

Marvin had what was classified as a Bruise.

Los Angeles Lakers forward/center Slava Medvedenko will miss about six weeks after being diagnosed with a herniated disc in his back. He injured his back in a game at Minnesota on Nov. 9. He has played in two games, averaging one point and 0.5 rebound.

Again, Medvedenko had a herniated disc (real injury)...

Compared to a back bruise, this is Like Cancer compared to a common cold.

Now if there's a different diagnosis for Marvin, then that's understandable. But I don't think a doctor worth his salt would miss a herniated disc.

• Moderators

Josh Hamilton missed 29 games with bruised ribs. Once you start getting into groin, back, hamstring, and similar injuries, the recovery can run a much more complicated path than you would think from the outside looking in. I am not willing from my position on the outside to make the leap to concluding Marvin is pulling a "Vince Carter" without some showing of what is happing on the inside.

From MC's latest blog:

# Marvin participated in the (non-contact) practice. “That is the first time I’ve ran around with the team in a while,” he said. “It felt pretty good.”

# Marvin plans to test the back again tomorrow. L.D. sounded as if the Hawks still want to give him more time. “With the back, it may still be a little weak,” Drew said. “I don’t think there is any pain or discomfort, but it’s something we want to take our time with. We want to make sure he is as close to 100 percent as possible. We will see how he is tomorrow.”

Case closed.

• Premium Member

Only time will tell.

How could time change the fact that you are not a doctor, much less a doctor who has examined Marvin?

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

Has anyone confirm that Marvin is really injured? See some guys don't play due to injury and some guys don't play due to pain. I give professional athletes a pass for not playing through injury but I can't give a pass for not playing through pain. So if Marvin can't do any further damage to his back by playing then he should be on the floor.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Has anyone confirm that Marvin is really injured? See some guys don't play due to injury and some guys don't play due to pain. I give professional athletes a pass for not playing through injury but I can't give a pass for not playing through pain. So if Marvin can't do any further damage to his back by playing then he should be on the floor.

He hasn't been cleared for contact practices yet:

Williams (back) practiced Thursday for the first time since suffering the injury Dec. 29. He wasn't cleared for contact, but was able to participate because the Hawks were doing only drill work.

Unless you think that was a reference to Marvin not clearing himself for practice, that should tell you that the team's doctors don't think he's ready to return yet.

And btw, Diesel:

Al will probably be back next game.

He's out for the weekend. His injury didn't look bad at all to me. I guess he must be faking it too, huh?

Tell you what. All you people who have decided that you're medical experts, go and ask MC about this. Instead of sitting here and playing doctor to a patient you've never examined, ask someone who, you know, actually speaks to both the patient and his doctors.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

Marvin doesn't want to be moved. See, if he plays well somebody would want him and he then will be moved and expected to give up the comforts.

Can we officially now deem him "a Bust"?

Why do you think he doesn't want to be moved? He is about as far from home as you can get and still be in the US.

I've been a Marvin supporter since he was drafted, but I'm ready to trade him. I was hoping a new coach would turn him around. If we don't trade him soon, he'll have no value.

• Admin

Marvin has been cleared to practice. I expect he will be back on Wed

Why do you think he doesn't want to be moved? He is about as far from home as you can get and still be in the US.

I've been a Marvin supporter since he was drafted, but I'm ready to trade him. I was hoping a new coach would turn him around. If we don't trade him soon, he'll have no value.

Before he hurt his back...Marvin had been playing very well.

Random......but has anyone ever pulled a muscle in their back sneezing? I did it a couple of years ago and it was the worst pain I'd ever felt in my life, weird injury but a horrible one

C'mon - he hasn't had any serious value around the league for years.

Does he have value as a Hawk? Probably...but that is a different story - he has little to no value around the league. Especially with the contract Sund gave him.

In any trade Marvin would be filler - as Shelden was.