• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mannix on Teague

buckeye242424

SI.com writer doing his "mid-season high's and low's" and our young point guard is the biggest disappointment in the NBA so far this year. I know it's only one man's opinion, but I think that's a tad harsh.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Jeff Teague

Think Hawks coach Larry Drew wants to be burning Mike Bibby for 30 minutes a night? Think again. Drew had high hopes coming into the season that the speedy Teague could win the starter's job or at least claim a regular spot in the rotation. Instead, the second-year guard has been a fixture on the bench, averaging just 11.6 minutes. Atlanta has been a graveyard for young point guards since that fateful day in 2005 when the Hawks chose Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams, with Salim Stoudamire and Acie Law (along with the more experienced Speedy Claxton) each failing auditions. Soon, Teague may join that list.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/01/19/midseason.superlatives/index.html#ixzz1BbM06tdq

• Like 1

• Premium Member

New team slogan:

"The Atlanta Hawks: Where young PGs go to die"

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

SI.com writer doing his "mid-season high's and low's" and our young point guard is the biggest disappointment in the NBA so far this year. I know it's only one man's opinion, but I think that's a tad harsh.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Jeff Teague

Think Hawks coach Larry Drew wants to be burning Mike Bibby for 30 minutes a night? Think again. Drew had high hopes coming into the season that the speedy Teague could win the starter's job or at least claim a regular spot in the rotation. Instead, the second-year guard has been a fixture on the bench, averaging just 11.6 minutes. Atlanta has been a graveyard for young point guards since that fateful day in 2005 when the Hawks chose Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams, with Salim Stoudamire and Acie Law (along with the more experienced Speedy Claxton) each failing auditions. Soon, Teague may join that list.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/01/19/midseason.superlatives/index.html#ixzz1BbM06tdq

Indeed it's sad, but some good news is that Acie Lives. I saw him playing for GS last night.

He was supposed to fly to Orlando at 2:30 p.m. but he was dropped off at LaGuardia Airport instead of JFK, so he had to take a different flight and didn't get to the game until 10 minutes after tip-off.

"Coach saw me walk in, asked me about the injury and told me to check in," Law said.

That tells of coach Keith Smart's confidence in the backup point guard. Law has subbed for starter Stephen Curry late in the first quarter of four consecutive games, providing the second unit a calming influence.

"It's been good for me and good for Steph, because he can lay it all on the line at the start of the game and I know when to spell him," Law said.

"It helps me stay focused on the game," Curry said. "I'm always into the game, but it helps to know what to expect night in and night out."

We just can't develop young PGs. This falls on Teague more than anyone else. He had all year to learn and adjust to the NBA life style. He had that time and all offseason to get himself ready to challenge for the starters job/earn more mins. Either he didn't work hard enough or he just doesn't have enough confidence in himself to overcome some adversity. In which case he isn't what you want at Pg to begin with.

• Premium Member

I had a lot of faith that Drew... given his own career and some of what I'd read about the summer camps he was running previously... would be the God-send to Teague that this franchises needed.

Who knows if it's on Teague or if it's on Drew... Drew's smart enough, I imagine, not to go public with why Teague hasn't persuaded him that he can get consistent quality minutes and be a real contributor... Teague's smart enough, for sure, not to go public with any frustration he has with the coaching staff since that would only predict more of the same treatment he's currently getting.

So, anyhow, I have to agree with the assessment, though as a Hawk fan, I'm biased on that... there's been a half-dozen games where I've said to myself, "Wow, maybe now that Teague had this moment, his fire will be lit"... only to find him solidly back on the bench within another game or two, if that.

Seems we have to get serious about trading him if we truly don't see him making a contribution... that's a roster slot where you're getting precious little production. Sign a veteran Drew can trust, and add Teague to the trading block to see if we can get a contributor who can get on the floor.

I don't know why Drew has given up on Teague with half a season still to go? I think Teague was showing signs of improving and just needs more playing time. I don't know what the harm in getting him 10 mins a night is? Seems woth the risk to me. He might just turn it around and become a valuable player for the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Hawks did the same song and dance with YKW. Doesn't take a 1 1/2 seasons to figure out if a guy is good enough.

I guess it depends when you think guys will make their leap. I usually think it is in the 3rd year so I'm willing to give him another year, but getting another PG late in the first round can be done any year.

For instance, I would've taken that Teague/Thomson trade that was rumored because Thomson could at least play backup PF consistently since Josh Powell has fallen off recently.

What is it that you all see in Jeff that makes you think he's more than a low-qaulity BU-PG? I really don't see anything in his game that makes me think journeyman backup. He can't shoot a lick, plays out of control, can't make a layup, and is a turnover machine. Worse, he doesn't lead the team while on the court. The fact that coaching was trying to pull out his "inner dog" says a lot about the young man. Simply put, Teague just doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA PG.

I don't think it its coincidence that Atlanta has never gotten past the 2nd round of the playoffs and has never drafted an All-Star quality PG. Doc Rivers comes close, and those were the team's best years. After that, the franchise has absolutely sucked at drafting PGs.

• Like 1

What is it that you all see in Jeff that makes you think he's more than a low-qaulity BU-PG? I really don't see anything in his game that makes me think journeyman backup. He can't shoot a lick, plays out of control, can't make a layup, and is a turnover machine. Worse, he doesn't lead the team while on the court. The fact that coaching was trying to pull out his "inner dog" says a lot about the young man. Simply put, Teague just doesn't have what it takes to be an NBA PG.

I don't think it its coincidence that Atlanta has never gotten past the 2nd round of the playoffs and has never drafted an All-Star quality PG. Doc Rivers comes close, and those were the team's best years. After that, the franchise has absolutely sucked at drafting PGs.

I disagree with his potential and the "inner-dog" statement. He's raw, it happens in the NBA. If you watch all teams it happens. The thing about Atlanta is our starting PG is old, and Atlanta has a history of bad PG's. The thing is Teague is very talented. He just doesn't understand the position and is really raw right now. If we play him too much he losses his confidence. That's why we are bringing him alone slowly. For all the flaws in his game right now, there is also a lot to like. I like Teague personally. I wanted Lawson more but I knew this pick had potential from my evaluation charts. He coming alone fine. He should be really to start in a couple years and should have a positive impact. His offensive/defensive potential is very good too. I wouldn't count him or Jordan out. These guys aren't Shelden and Acie, they can play, just aren't ready yet.