Do these available PGS have any appeal?

AtlHomer

• Premium Member

Ten Trade Rumors flying under the radar

According to this speculative article, Andre Miller (Por), Aaron Brooks (Hou) and Devin Harris (NJ) may be available before the trade deadline. Do any of them have appeal for the Hawks? If so, why kind of package would it take to get them.

IMO, I have always like Devin Harris and think he could provide the kind of slasher and perimeter defense that the team needs. Supposedy he is in the doghouse in NJ. Would they be interested in Jamal's expiring contract?

• Premium Member

Andre Miller all day...he's up there in age. Still a good stopgap until Teague decides to play.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Miller would be my first choice but he might be too pricey given that he's instrumental to Portland's playoff run.

Harris would be my 2nd choice and could be available for just Jamal. Won't upset the team's current balance either (Bibby and Marvin off the bench would offset Jamal's scoring) but the problem would be his contract next year and lux tax implications to the ASG.

• Premium Member

I would guess Harris is a better fit for us. He is young and is quicker than Andre Miller, plus he is a better shooter from the outside. Portland is rolling right now though, so I don't see them trading Miller unless they get another PG back in return, and I doubt we have anything they want (or anyone else in the league for that matter) at that position.

Having said that It would probably take Smith to get Harris, and I don't like Harris enough to give up Smoove. So Brooks seems like the most likely and he has been quite dreadful this year.

• Premium Member

Ten Trade Rumors flying under the radar

According to this speculative article, Andre Miller (Por), Aaron Brooks (Hou) and Devin Harris (NJ) may be available before the trade deadline. Do any of them have appeal for the Hawks? If so, why kind of package would it take to get them.

IMO, I have always like Devin Harris and think he could provide the kind of slasher and perimeter defense that the team needs. Supposedy he is in the doghouse in NJ. Would they be interested in Jamal's expiring contract?

I think Harris would be a natural fit here. I think Miller would be a good pure PG but age and the fact that we would have to change alot means that I couldn't invest a whole lot in him. I doubt they go for a ending contract. They need talent.

I would actually push Smoove for Harris/Petro.

If for nothing else to clear up the picture a bit.

I know that there are a lot of knocks on Petro but he's 7 foot, 250 and 25 years old. There's something we could do with him next to Horf (part time).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I would guess Harris is a better fit for us. He is young and is quicker than Andre Miller, plus he is a better shooter from the outside. Portland is rolling right now though, so I don't see them trading Miller unless they get another PG back in return, and I doubt we have anything they want (or anyone else in the league for that matter) at that position.

Having said that It would probably take Smith to get Harris, and I don't like Harris enough to give up Smoove. So Brooks seems like the most likely and he has been quite dreadful this year.

How do you like the following team:

Biedrins, Horf, Joe, Morrow, Harris. With Craw, Bibby off the bench.

Miller would be my first choice but he might be too pricey given that he's instrumental to Portland's playoff run.

Harris would be my 2nd choice and could be available for just Jamal. Won't upset the team's current balance either (Bibby and Marvin off the bench would offset Jamal's scoring) but the problem would be his contract next year and lux tax implications to the ASG.

Bingo !

I'd be happy with flipping Teague / Mo / 2nd for a cheaper backup PG with playoff expierence like Jordan Farmar or Daniel Gibson.

i'd love to have harris as our pg

if we could get him and a decent center, then i could let smoove go

harris/jj/marvin/horford/c would be better than what we have today, defensively and offensively

anyone other than jj/horford can be traded to get us a pg and center (with caveat that we need to still have a starting sf and a decent 6th man)...1st and 2nd rounders are fine as well to get the deal done

Edited by Nicholasp27

Bingo !

I'd be happy with flipping Teague / Mo / 2nd for a cheaper backup PG with playoff expierence like Jordan Farmar or Daniel Gibson.

Considering the amount that both are paid we are faaaaaaaaar better off keeping Teague and our 2nd along with not having to spend that extra 7 mil over the life of their contracts, given that their options are picked up, of course. Their production is equal to Teague's and plenty of times people overvalue "vet" and "championship" "experience" from bit players and end up with a Josh Powell when they could of easily picked up a Jeremy Evans instead.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

Harris is my 1st choice but I wouldn't give up Horford, JJ or Smith for him. The deal would have to be centered around Jamal or Marvin for me and I'd greatly prefer to ship out Jamal since we could use Bibby and Marvin off the bench for scoring.

Brooks definitely intrigues me! I know he's been playing poorly lately but the guy is a dynamite scorer and he'd fit into our style of play a lot better than a traditional PG would and with the way he pushes the ball up the court and gets to the basket at will he could make our shooters deadly. If we could somehow steal Brooks for say (Teague or JC2) and a 1st I'd be all over it.

I want no part in Miller unless he can be had for spare parts.

• Admin

I would love for us to get Harris...like Dolfan I think a Marvin or Crawford package should be able to get him.

Personally I am not a Brooks fan. I think he is too much of a scorer and not really a point guard.

Miller would be a nice get if we didn't give up too much for him. He is a pure point guard and would fit our team to a T. He would settle down the offense and he is a decent defender.

It is so obvious how badly we need a pg who can at least try to defend the position. Bibby and Crawford are just not able to stay with their man and it is really hurting us.

• Admin

The game bibby just had, brooks would duplicate that 75% of the time. He would be dynamite in a hawks uniform.

Yes, he is now a better scorer and I have every confidence that he can score. He still doesn't play d and he isn't really a facilitator either.

I would love for us to get Harris...like Dolfan I think a Marvin or Crawford package should be able to get him.

Personally I am not a Brooks fan. I think he is too much of a scorer and not really a point guard.

Miller would be a nice get if we didn't give up too much for him. He is a pure point guard and would fit our team to a T. He would settle down the offense and he is a decent defender.

It is so obvious how badly we need a pg who can at least try to defend the position. Bibby and Crawford are just not able to stay with their man and it is really hurting us.

I think that we as Hawks fans want a PG who can settle down the offense and who can be a traditional point but I'm really not certain that is what the Hawks want from their PG since we keep drafting or trading for shooter/scorers at that spot time and again, which leads me to believe that Brooks would be our 1st choice, especially since he only makes $2 million this year and we might be able to keep him with a reasonable contract next year and let Jamal walk and Bibby would be coming off the bench. As I mentioned before Harris would be my 1st choice but I really believe the Hawks want a guy who can score and who doesn't try and run the offense himself. Brooks could get us 17 points and 4-5 assists per night easy in this offense and if he can play defense equally to Bibby then he's a sure fire upgrade and if we can get him for one of our young draft picks and a 1st then it's almost a surefire win for us.

Yes, he is now a better scorer and I have every confidence that he can score. He still doesn't play d and he isn't really a facilitator either.

I believe the Hawks would rather have a guy that can score and can get 4 or so assists per game with our bigs still getting the same assist #'s and having the same responsibilities. Brooks could slide into the Bibby role effortlessly, and let's not forget the guy lead the NBA in 3pt makes last year (if memory serves).

• Like 1

I'd really like to get Brooks too.

I think that will be very hard for a few reasons though:

1. The Rockets are using him as a sweetner to go after Melo so they won't move Brooks until Melo is moved else where.

2. The Rockets really need a center and want to use Brooks for a center upgrade. We can't help them there. We could offer Teague/1st/Thomas but I doubt that is the best offer they could find.

3. Brooks contract is very small which makes it hard to give them any one of value unless we take back a "junk contract."

I think two of them are out of our price range. Miller is the more likely out of the listed.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I could EASILY be persuaded to trade Teague and our 1st for Brooks. Brooks could man the point for us on the break incredibly well and JJ can help him handle it more in sets.

It might be perfect marriage with a 3 month trial period and if it works out Crawford's expiring allows us to resign Brooks.

I just never thought Brooks could be had so inexpensively. If so, I'm in. I also might keep our smaller lineup and try to run people out of the gym.

W