• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabeet worth a gamble for the Hawks?

JTB

• Premium Member

I would not give anything of worth for him. If they would take Powell or Etan and a 2nd rounder then I would do it. However, no contributing player would be worth it.

lets see...I think Mo, Powell, Etan, and Teague would do it.

• Premium Member

no thanks.. he is not worth it.

I imagine (if we got him) that we bring in Deke to work with him all summer long. The guy is a shot blocker. The guy has good speed. He's just rough. If you get a project, you have to develop him!

I imagine (if we got him) that we bring in Deke to work with him all summer long. The guy is a shot blocker. The guy has good speed. He's just rough. If you get a project, you have to develop him!

D, he's soft as tissue, shys away from contact, and is weak. He's a really nice guy but doesn't appear to have that inner fire needed to compete. You have problems with Marvin, wait til you watch Thabeet, the guy is nothing. And, you propose sending Williams for him? Good grief.

It's called a project C. He may suck now, but he's 7'3 260+ and has speed for his size. I would give them Marvin Williams for Thabeet and Xavier Henry. Marvin becomes their starting PF.

They would never do that deal and its not because of what they think of Marvin or Thabeet, but they value Henry. Its just his 1st season so moving him this early to dump Thabeet just makes no sense to me. I would package some garbage and our 1st or 2nd for Thabeet. But not Marvin without getting Henry or their 1st which I do not see them doing.

Thabeet has good speed? The guy moves like an injured gazelle out there.

And that's when he is out there! He can have all the potential in the world but if you're a foul machine what good does potential do you? I see Thabeet as a taller and less skilled Solo and I wouldn't want Solo on the team either.

Thabeet has good speed? The guy moves like an injured gazelle out there.

Exactly Aholic...Thabeet is not and will never be a quality asset on a decent NBA team. That's nothing against him personally...I hope he saves his money and has a wonderful life. He's just not very F&#&-in good at basketball (on the NBA level). Simple as that. :kickcan:

And that's when he is out there! He can have all the potential in the world but if you're a foul machine what good does potential do you? I see Thabeet as a taller and less skilled Solo and I wouldn't want Solo on the team either.

Well the reason he's always in foul trouble is because he is constantly out of position, which harkens back to the root of all his problems as a player, that being that he seems to possess *no* natural instincts or feel for how to play the game on either end of the floor, in fact he is SO clueless that that makes me believe his problems just may be incurable. He just doesn't seem to 'get it' in any way at all. He could get away with that to an extent at UConn due to his great height and size, but even in college he was hardly what anyone would ever a dominating player, and now that he's up with the best of the best, he is being exposed for exactly what he is, a guy who simply doesn't understand how to play the game of basketball and shows no signs of being able to change that most fundamental of flaws. It's still early obviously, but he is showing every sign of being a Michael Olowakandi-level NBA bust, so again, no thanks.

Anti-Thabeet's are out in full force. I really don't think you guys know what your talking about on Thabeet. I watch Memphis regularly and even talked to a couple in the L about him. The players like him. Sessions, come on. There is a reason he's been on bad teams as a backup. I hate this damn team. I think that's the reason why no one wants to join the Hawks. A bunch of monkeys could do a better job than their whole organization.

He does have decent speed, good athlete at his size. Has good instincts, the game is moving too fast for him at times in his early career. He could be a solid center.

He could be a solid center.

Well, I believe if that viewpoint were indeed the case, they wouldn't be trying so desperately to move him. And if teams out there felt he 'could' become a solid center, then you'd better damn well believe they'd be beating down Memphis' door trying to get him. With his height and his size, are you kidding me? Everybody would be after him if they felt he had any kind of serious potential at all, but then again Memphis wouldn't be trying to trade him if that were the case.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

While we're at it, maybe the Hawks can sign Stromile Swift and trade for Beasley and Milicic too, just to make it a complete set.

In all seriousness, Hasheem Thabeet is not a good NBA player. He is tall and he is a decent run/jump athlete, but has no actual skills. He can't shoot, he can't make a low post move, he can't pass, he can't set a pick, he can't rebound, he can't defend on the ball, and he doesn't have the basketball IQ necessary to improve any of those things. Moreso than any other top 3 pick in my memory, I was scratching my head about his projected draft position from the moment I saw him play. With Marvin/Darko/Beasley, the tools have always been there, but the drive and determination necessary to capitalize on that either was never present (Beasley) or seemed to fade (Marvin/Darko) once they got to the NBA. With Thabeet, the tools weren't even there to begin with. He was just born tall and decently fast. That's it.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

Well, I believe if that viewpoint were indeed the case, they wouldn't be trying so desperately to move him. And if teams out there felt he 'could' become a solid center, then you'd better damn well believe they'd be beating down Memphis' door trying to get him. With his height and his size, are you kidding me? Everybody would be after him if they felt he had any kind of serious potential at all, but then again Memphis wouldn't be trying to trade him if that were the case.

Have you looked at their finances.

They need cash to resign Gasol/Z-Bo back. Thabeet is a non factor as Hadaddi is a better overall player and Gasol is superior to both players. They will end up trading Mayo as well just looking at their cap situation and the fact that they have a lot invested in Conley and Gay, and will pay a lot for Gasol and Z-Bo. It will be hard for anyone to take on Thabeet contract going into what is an unknown CBA. He is due to make over 5 million next season. That's a lot of money for a player who can't help you today. You guys really need to remember this is a business. Next year will be an unknown landscape, there are reasons why a trade hasn't happen. There are teams interested but they haven't offered anything that Memphis wants. It's not like no one wants him like Bibby. He has suitors like Mayo, just nothing Memphis wants. Memphis needs money. That's reason #1. #2. He doesn't fit in what they do. #3. He not good right now, he's pretty bad at the moment but has talent. Teague is pretty bad at the moment, does that mean no one wants him or he will suck in three years? No, he just sucks right now.