• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Carmelo traded to Knicks.

Is Billups a fit for Dantonis offense? I dont think Chauncey will be a Knick for long. I look for NY to make more moves.

Shelden Williams is gonna win a ring before us. Shelden won

Giving NY a ring already? lol!

• Premium Member

Man do people realize that now this almost guarantee a superstar of the knicks choosing in 2012??? deron williams, cp3, or dwight howard.

Exactly. This move wasn't for this year. The Knicks have indeed put themselves in a position (unlike the Hawks) to acquire another major player in a year or so that they can be true contenders. The Knicks have indeed become a very attractive situation.

• Admin

Chemistry is a big part of basketball. Adding melo does not mean they have improved their team. They gave up a lot and ny is not about playing d but outscoring u. That doesn't work in the playoffs. I am not worried about ny. Now we do need a pg badly and a center. We need to go after Felton hard and Crawford is a great bargaining piece. Sund, get it done!!

I can't respond to everyone who posted but I'm still trying to understand this.

Knicks Outgoing

Gallinari, Felton, Chandler, Curry, Randolph Mozgov, 3 draft picks

Knicks Incoming

Anthony, Billups, Williams, Balkman

Denver Outgoing

Anthony, Billups, Williams, Balkman

Denver Incoming

Gallinari, Felton, Chandler, Brewer, Mozgov, 3 draft picks

Minnesota outgoing

Brewer

Minnesota incoming

Randolph, Curry

My head is spinning.

Knicks get better at small forward. Knicks get worse at Center, 6th man, worse cap situation. A wash at the point due to age. Worse at defense (I guess). Carmelo is great but I'm not sure this addressed their team needs.

Denver gets better at depth? I honestly don't know how this helped them except the Carmelo saga is over and they now have the pieces/picks to make a few more trades.

Minnesota got??????? 13 million in salary and an overpaid big if Curry is ever healthy, not overeating and not harassing his chauffer???

I guess this is why I'm not an NBA GM!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6145912

Knicks new lineup

Billups

Fields

Anthony

Stoudemire

Turiaf

Damn, thats one hell of a lineup.

Amare and Mello is a good offensive combo but turrrible defensive combo. . Billips can still play but is 34. The rest of that team is crap.

Oh lol, I just realized that Shelden is part of the deal. He should be NYs starting center now :lol6:

Dammit CTC - you beat me to it :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

"Starting at Center for your New York Knickerbockers, Out of Duke University, the Landlord. Shelden Williammmmmmms"

(funny as that sounds - he may end up doing pretty good alongside those two forwards)

Edited by DJlaysitup

Denver absolutely cleaned house on this trade considering Carmelo and the Knicks supposedly held all the cards. They can now field two.. TWO starting line ups that would be competitive (better than the Nets anyway). I can only imagine what their practices are going to be like. This is the deepest team in the league and they saved about 16m dollars doing it. They have something like 29m in exipirings so they should be able to resign Chandler and Afflalo fairly easy. Another trade or two and this team could be really scary. The Nuggets are now my favorite team in the West.

PG- Lawson

SG- Afflalo

SF- Harrington

PF- Martin

C- Nene

PG- Felton

SG- JR Smith

SF- Chandler

PF- Gallinari

C- Mozgov or Birdman

As for the Knicks. I'm not scared of them this year. I think they lack depth even more than the Hawks do now. They absolutely need to sign a Chris Paul type when he becomes a free agent and then I think they creep into the top 4 in the east. At that point they'll start getting the older veterans that want to win a title signing with them on the cheap providing them with depth. At least then Miami will have some competition for them.

Denver absolutely cleaned house on this trade considering Carmelo and the Knicks supposedly held all the cards. They can now field two.. TWO starting line ups that would be competitive....

Correct Bkt...they have two average teams...and when they combine the best players on those two average teams they will have one teeny bit better than an average team. Since Stern isn't going to expand the court and let ten players play on each team....it really doesn't matter.

NYK will have a top quality PG in Billups, somebody decent at SG, All-star SF in Carmello, All-star PF in Stoudamire, and our boy Shelden at Center. They will pick up a couple other guys since they have money to burn. :kickcan:

There is also talk that the Nuggets are considering dealing Felton. Sources have told Stein that the Nuggets are confident they could get a first-round pick for the point guard while other sources have told Stein and Bucher that Denver may hold off until closer to the draft to attempt to flip Felton or hang on to the veteran point guard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6146336

no one seems to have mentioned the very best news that may have come out of all of this --

numerous rumblings of walsh being pushed out of the knicks organization and isiah thomas regaining control of the team!!!

are you serious?! i.t. could very well gm again! as long as he is in charge, there will always be a place where we will have a chance to dump any and all trash for nothing. we would even be able to upgrade trading with him if they actually had anything left to trade for.

• Moderators

(Felton)/Lawson

Gallinari/Afflalo/Forbes

Chandler/Smith

Martin/Harrington/Ely

Nene/Andersen/(Mozgov)

Billups/Douglas/Carter/Rautins

Fields/Brewer /Mason/Azubuike

Anthony /Balkman/Walker

Stoudemire/ShawneWilliams

Turiaf/SheldenWilliams

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Here is Chad Ford's take on the Knicks being very unlikely to add another top player:

The common theory has the Knicks making a play for Chris Paul, Deron Williams or even Dwight Howard in the summer of 2012. It's a nice dream. And if you believe the rumors, it sounds like Paul and Williams would both like to join Melo and Stoudemire in Gotham.

But there's one problem: Under every scenario I could come up with, the Knicks are unlikely to have the money to make a competitive offer to a major free agent next summer or possess the assets to trade for him beforehand.

First, we have to assume that, until we hear otherwise, Anthony will sign a max extension with New York. (If Knicks general manger Donnie Walsh can talk him into taking considerably less, then this picture begins to change.)

The Knicks are expected to have four players -- Anthony (at a little more than $20 million), Stoudemire (at a little less than $20 million), Balkman ($1.7 million) and Toney Douglas ($2 million) -- under contract in the 2012 offseason, adding up to about $44 million in payroll. And that does not include Landry Fields, who will be a restricted free agent that summer, or the Knicks' 2011 first-round draft pick. If the Knicks keep and commit to both, the payroll will be several million higher. If not, the Knicks will also have to account for another eight minimum cap holds (assuming that the new salary cap rules require cap holds, which is likely) to reach the required 12-man roster. That would raise their projected cap another $2.5 million, putting them around $46.5 million.

[+] EnlargeChris Paul & Deron Williams

Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty ImagesThe Knicks need another star. But will it have the cash to land a prime-time PG next summer?

Assuming the salary cap in 2012 is the same that it is this season ($58 million), the Knicks would be looking at $11.5 million in cap space in 2012. However, no one thinks the cap will stay the same. With the owners asking for major concessions from the players in the new collective bargaining session, the cap will most likely be considerably lower.

Even if the NBA lowers the maximum salary that players like Paul, Williams or Howard can make in 2012 or if it rolls back salaries on existing contracts, it's highly unlikely the Knicks will have the cap space to pay them anything close to the max. Virtually any lowering of salaries is likely to be proportional to the drop in the cap. So, at best, the Knicks will have $11.5 million in cap space. At worst, it could be considerably less.

That's a pretty big obstacle, but not an impossible one to overcome. There are other ways of acquiring elite talent.

The Knicks could also try to do what they did with Anthony and make a trade at next season's trade deadline for one of the elite free agents. But the problem with that idea is that they have even less to work with than they did this season. New York won't have a first-round pick they can offer until, at best, 2016 (league rules prohibit teams from trading picks in consecutive years). So what could the Knicks offer a team like the Hornets, Jazz or Magic?

Billups' expiring contract would be a possible lure. So would be Fields', if he continues to develop. But after that, the Knicks' cupboard is pretty bare now that they've used their best assets to acquire Anthony. Some have suggested that the Knicks could start stockpiling draft picks by essentially buying them from teams who need to save money. But typically those picks are in the late first round and aren't especially attractive to other teams.

So while fans may be celebrating the arrival of another star to the Big Apple, luring one more and building a contender will be much tougher. In the short term, the team has achieved respectability, added two All-Star talents and even created some sizzle. But in the long term, the team still lacks the critical assets to be a true title contender.

If Knicks fans are happy with 45-to-50 wins per season and a likely first-round exit from the playoffs, then this was a winning move. But for all the Knicks fans who say that nothing but a title contender will make them happy, this deal may have actually put their team further from their goal than they think.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Knicks-2012-110222

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

no one seems to have mentioned the very best news that may have come out of all of this --

numerous rumblings of walsh being pushed out of the knicks organization and isiah thomas regaining control of the team!!!

are you serious?! i.t. could very well gm again! as long as he is in charge, there will always be a place where we will have a chance to dump any and all trash for nothing. we would even be able to upgrade trading with him if they actually had anything left to trade for.

Besides Shelden, my other favorite person in this deal was Balkman. His re-acquisition has Zeke's fingerprints all over it. Anybody remember the shock-and-awe from the 2006 Draft?

And is Zeke supposed to be, like, coaching or something?

~lw3