• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged x5: Deron Williams traded to the Nets

GameTime

I bet we could have traded Josh Smith for DWill since they are saying that Utah started trying to trade Deron over a month ago.

Ok Hawks, why didnt we get in on that one?

Simple answer. B/c they would rather have Harris and Favors then Smoove.

Many here value Smoove much higher then rival team 's GMs do.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'm guessing Utah wouldn't take on Joe's salary. I would have included him in a deal for Deron if its an option. Oh well. We've had 8 straight winning months blah blah blah blah blah....

Bring me Milsap of Jefferson....or Corbin

Edited by macdaddy

I think this will be a disaster for NJ but talk about a different world in terms of the hype surrounding Deron and Carmelo getting traded. What I don't understand is why you wouldn't ship out Deron to keep Jerry Sloan if you were only going to get rid of Deron a few weeks later.

I think Utah wanted to make this deal and go into a semi rebuilding mode while staying competitive; not necessarily to keep Sloan. Mission accomplished IMO. You think Utah is irrelevant now but I don't see it that way. They still have a very talented front line in AK, Millsap, and Jefferson and just added Harris and Favors plus some great picks.

As far as NJ goes, I think its a coup for them and no telling what Deron may get them later if they decide to make a deal. They have also reportedly traded Murphys big expiring to GS and may have gotten something useful for him as well. I am sure Deron is hating this and probably wishing he would have kept his big mouth shut about right now.

• Premium Member

I think Utah wanted to make this deal and go into a semi rebuilding mode while staying competitive; not necessarily to keep Sloan. Mission accomplished IMO. You think Utah is irrelevant now but I don't see it that way. They still have a very talented front line in AK, Millsap, and Jefferson and just added Harris and Favors plus some great picks.

As far as NJ goes, I think its a coup for them and no telling what Deron may get them later if they decide to make a deal. They have also reportedly traded Murphys big expiring to GS and may have gotten something useful for him as well. I am sure Deron is hating this and probably wishing he would have kept his big mouth shut about right now.

The Nets got Brendan Wright for Murphy. Woo-hoo. Remember when people were predicting we'd draft him back in '07?

The Nets have Lopez and D-Will. That seems like a good start, but the problem is they have traded away everything they need to surround them with the necessary talent. No draft picks, no young talent, no big expiring contracts. Just D-Will, Lopez, and Travis Outlaw (who got by far the most head-scratching contract of the offseason). Ironically, they’ll be a team with a top 5 PG and arguably a top 5 center, but they won’t be able to get anywhere because they are so weak everywhere else and don’t really have the capacity to improve.

A friend of mine just suggested that maybe the Nets just really wanted to get a star after they missed out on Carmelo, and D-Will fits the bill. But I just don't see where they go from here.

The East is going to be tough for the next couple of years now. We need to make a major move to become a contender. I wish we could make that kind of trade for Chris Paul.

You're definitely right about that, it seems that the East is getting significantly stronger the last year or so and especially lately. We've got to find a way to improve our team or we're going to be an early 1st round disappointment.

Put the DWill kool-aid down. What has he done besides put up numbers? Nets got robbed on this deal. Harris is legit. I see the Jazz going further than the Nets. DWill has even less talent to work with. I'm not worried about the Nets. AAAnnd they gave up two 1st round picks? Ridiculous.

• Moderators

What I am struggling with is why you wouldn't tell Sloan you are going to be dealing Deron if that was what was driving him out. I don't see how they are better letting him go.

I don't think Utah is at all irrelevant in terms of short-term talent. Where I think they may plunge into irrelevance is that:

(a) They are in one of the top 3 markets least attractive to African-American players;

(b) I credit Sloan for their consistent winning ways over the last 20 years and now they let him leave; and

(c ) They just lost a high profile star that made the team more attractive to free agents and teammates.

In short, I think they are highly at risk of having their talent want to jump ship and being unable to attract players to come play in Utah if the team is losing more games and doesn't have a figurehead like Sloan or Deron anchoring the franchise. I guess we'll see.