• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Josh just sealed his fate with this Team

MoBetta

This was the biggest win since we went up 3-2 against Boston in 88 or 89 when we eventually lost in game seven.

That's what I was thinking also ... but I was 12 or 13 years old back then and all I can remember is the Celtics stealing that series :(

• Premium Member

This was the biggest win since we went up 3-2 against Boston in 88 or 89 when we eventually lost in game seven.

Yep. It's been that long? We're in uncharted waters here. Wow. Savor this series guys. We have a chance to make it to the ECF if we take care of home.

• Premium Member

That's what I was thinking also ... but I was 12 or 13 years old back then and all I can remember is the Celtics stealing that series :(

Same age here. I will never forget that series. We got flat out robbed by the refs. The phantom goaltend on Doc Rivers on DJ in game seven was the icer on the series.

:beathorse:

Regarding Josh:

It was the worst of times. It was the best of times.

Josh can be so bad - and he was tonight.

Josh can be so great - and he was tonight.

His outside shooting, for the most part, just wasn't falling and he apparently couldn't stop himself.

His inside play was so great, it made a huge difference.

That's just Josh being Josh. We all should know what to expect.

:stirthepot:

• Premium Member

Back to Josh: unless we win a ring this playoffs he needs to go as long as its a viable improvement at center, small forward or point. His 2/whatever shootings nights with zero aggression to attack the basket or get in the low post is killing us on offense.

Is Smoove our Manny?

~lw3

I think that's probably the best comparison there is.

I've noticed that josh takes so long to get his shot off though that I have time to say a good 2 or 3 expletives from the time he starts his motion to the time the ball leaves his hands.

• Like 2

33 heavily monitored and scrutinized minutes seems perfect. It's just an experiment getting that perfect medium of maximizing his positive impact while having no tolerance for the nonsense, especially in the fourth. Damn good juggling act by Coach.

The problem with Josh is the same problem with this team. I watched on one particular play late in the game. Josh had already missed a few open jumpers in a row. Al had the ball in the block as the shot clock was winding down. As he moved towards to goal for a shot in the post, the defense collapsed on him. All 4 Hawk players stayed at the perimeter waiting for the kick-out. I have no problem with Joe or Craw doing that (they were on the floor at the time), but Smoove should have cut towards that basket. He could have gotten a wide open dunk. Instead, he too stayed behind the arc praying for the ball to come his way so he could be "justified" in shooting a long-range shot since the clock was about to expire.

Josh has to learn his role. If he did, we'd be putting the Magic and Bulls away by 15-20ppg rather than the games being as close as they are. Stay in the post, play defense, and rebound! You'll get your points that way. Stop chucking!

Overall, it was a great game by the team, and yes, Josh did make some key plays for the team.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

As a so called Josh Smith hugger even I was pissed with his boneheaded shot selection. But as usual he made some key plays when it mattered most to bring me back in his corner.

Say what you want about him. No one can deny he has a knack of doing good things when it matters most. Not saying that makes up for his poor decision making but it does temper the disgust a bit.

Collins is a better shooter.

lol yeah. Smith is a key rebounder for us (defensevly)!!! Also he is great at blocking shots and best as aweak side blocker what you need against this team. Ofensevly it's not his game, just put up a few ay ups and pass the ball.

There's ONE ... HUGE block on the Rose layup

And there's TWO with the big jumper to save the shot clock

And there's THREE with the HUGE x 2 BLOCK on Noah

And there's FOUR with the outstanding pass to Horford for the DUNK

That's what we need from Josh. To be an intimidating presence under the hoop.

Not shooting rainbow bricks from 25 feet out. When oh when will he get the message???

I have a feeling we could be in a NBA FInals Game 7 and Josh will still be shooting jumpers.

Drew needs to keep sitting him when he "misbehaves", just like the child he is.

:beathorse:

Regarding Josh:

It was the worst of times. It was the best of times.

Josh can be so bad - and he was tonight.

Josh can be so great - and he was tonight.

His outside shooting, for the most part, just wasn't falling and he apparently couldn't stop himself.

His inside play was so great, it made a huge difference.

That's just Josh being Josh. We all should know what to expect.

:stirthepot:

The problem is the bad usually outnumbers the good. If Josh just STOPPED SHOOTING FROM

MORE THAN 15 FEET OUT, we would IMMEDIATELY improve our chances in this series. Take

the same shots that Zaza or Collins take.

• Moderators

My long-standing fuss extends to his teammates as well. When he is "out there" (you know what I mean... physically...) and not in a proper position to score or pass around the paint, can teammates please just stop looking for him? Fake the pass if you have to, and then pass to someone else if you've already picked up the ball, or otherwise drive, or take the ball out and reset. Just Marvinize him and make him a last resort if you're bottled up and desperately need to pass the ball out of the paint or the corner during the closing seconds of the shot clock. When he realizes he's not getting touches, he can elect to either change his game or change his production. I'm sure it's not so simple, but unless he just brings the ball up the floor himself and jacks up long jumpers, Josh can't take bad shots without somebody giving him the ball.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

My long-standing fuss extends to his teammates as well. When he is "out there" (you know what I mean... physically...) and not in a proper position to score or pass around the paint, can teammates please just stop looking for him? Fake the pass if you have to, and then pass to someone else if you've already picked up the ball, or otherwise drive, or take the ball out and reset. Just Marvinize him and make him a last resort if you're bottled up and desperately need to pass the ball out of the paint or the corner during the closing seconds of the shot clock. When he realizes he's not getting touches, he can elect to either change his game or change his production. I'm sure it's not so simple, but unless he just brings the ball up the floor himself and jacks up long jumpers, Josh can't take bad shots without somebody giving him the ball.

~lw3

LOL at 'Marvinize'. I'm going to Marvinize a few people here at work today.

• Premium Member

Not for nothing, but to those of you who are saying Josh's key plays in the 4th make up for his terrible first three quarters, have you considered the possibility (likelihood, really) that absent Josh's bad shots, mediocre on-ball D, and lazy work on the glass early on, the game wouldn't have come down to the last 3 minutes? I remember at least 2 significant Hawks runs that were stopped only after Josh jacked a stupid jumper, and on one of those, he gave an instant encore by loafing on defense at the other end. Josh definitely played well in the last 5 minutes. But his poor play before that helped make the game far more interesting than it should have been.

Now that I've said that, talk of who "needs to go" should cease until the playoffs are over.

Edited by niremetal

I give Josh props for the way he played down the stretch, but it still feels like (on balance) he is more of a liability than asset due to his well-chronicled lack of discipline and basketball IQ (namely shot selection, also turnovers/bad passes and the poor positioning lw3 mentioned).

He's already played 7 seasons, and if the light hasn't come on yet he may never "get it." His value is still in his potential to be elite as much as in his performance as intermittently spectacular, which is pretty ridiculous for someone with his level of experience. I would love to see how he'd play under a disciplinarian coach who whipped him into shape and sat him every time he took a shot outside of 16ft, but it seems like he's regressed in this regard under Larry Drew -- who looks to be our coach for quite a while after this performance.

Hate to make such negative remarks after a great win, but it seems sometimes we get wins like this in spite of Josh rather than because of him (his best rnd 1 game was the blowout loss, and he missed our only other Bulls win this year). However, if he can somehow convince his buddy Dwight to come home to ATL then his value goes through the roof.