• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you think Smoove could get us Howard?

Diesel

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Best friends since Preschool.

Talk everyday in some way.

Dreamed about playing together in the NBA.

There's a lot of talk about Howard's eventual FAcy.

He has said that he wants to stay in Orlando but he will be a free agent.

Makes me wonder.... Can Smoove's friendship and the future of our team make Howard consider forcing Orlando to send him to us?

Howard says that he wants to win a championship.

Us beating them in the first round had to make him think that Orlando might not have the horses to do that.

Especially with the big three in Miami.

However, as 2012 approaches, if we play our cards right, we should be one of the better teams in the East.

The addition to Howard to Smoove and JJ (because I don't think we trade JJ) would give us our own big three.

Not to mention, we're all waiting to see what Teague will be. I guess if Teague is the same guy he was against Miami with better defense, D12 has to consider us as contenders.

I don't think it's going to matter since we can't sign him outright and no way Orlando trades him within the division, regardless of what Dwight might want. The ONLY way I could see this happening is if Dwight said he'd retire if the Magic didn't agree to trade him to Atlanta, providing of course that Atlanta wants Dwight and would make a fair offer to the Magic.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not necessarily, although in a twist, I do think having Howard in the fold would be enough to get Smoove (if traded away as part of a Howard deal, direct or multi-team) to consider coming back, once his contract expires.

~lw3

• Premium Member

I've been thinking about this too...

Could their friendship be a positive factor for us? Yes. And the marketing of Smoove/Howard would put so many butts in seats... Very good publicity for him.

Would Orlando do it? If Dwight forced a trade, they really don't have much choice but to get some value for him.

We'd have to trade Horford + something. His stock is high and isn't at all a bad return on Howard.

Us beating Orlando definitely sends a message to him about the capability of THIS team.

You're also very right about Teague. If he continues to improve and isn't just a playoff fluke...

Teague

Hinrich

JJ

Smoove

Howard

That's a tough, defensive and offensive lineup. But.......

This is not a championship organization - not in any way, by any stretch of the imagination. Not in it's history, not in the front office, not coaching, not the players. Nothing. Dwight wants to win a championship. He's a marquee talent and he knows it. He wants to win it all. He wants the best shot at doing that. There is no way he looks at us and says, "Wow...these guys will do whatever it takes to win." You can't spin it. We may be that franchise in the future, but to date...we can't even be mentioned in the same conversations as some organizations when it comes to championship pursuits.

Will we be one of the better teams in the East next season? That's also debatable. Chicago will be. Miami will be. NY has two stars and a huge market...they might be better. We're hanging a lot of hopes on "IF" when we talk about Atlanta in the same sentence. Will Josh be able to convince Howard that we're going in the right direction and we're a much better team than seasons past? The first question Howard would ask is, "so you've stopped trying to be a shooting guard?"

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't think it's going to matter since we can't sign him outright and no way Orlando trades him within the division, regardless of what Dwight might want. The ONLY way I could see this happening is if Dwight said he'd retire if the Magic didn't agree to trade him to Atlanta, providing of course that Atlanta wants Dwight and would make a fair offer to the Magic.

I thought about that... but we can give them Horford. Horford is maybe the 4th or 5th best Center in the league. As far as signing him outright, I won't take that off the table just yet. IF Orlando doesn't want Horford, maybe somebody else with capspace to absorb him will and will create the capspace to sign Howard.

Not necessarily, although in a twist, I do think having Howard in the fold would be enough to get Smoove (if traded away as part of a Howard deal, direct or multi-team) to consider coming back, once his contract expires.

~lw3

I don't know. If there's beef between Smoove and Horf (because Horf has sounded like Smoove needs to go).. then there's automatically beef between Howard and Horf. Plus, Howard won't sign with a team that has Jimmyjacked his best friend.

• Premium Member

I've been thinking about this too...

Teague

Hinrich

JJ

Smoove

Howard

That's a tough, defensive and offensive lineup. But.......

This is not a championship organization - not in any way, by any stretch of the imagination. Not in it's history, not in the front office, not coaching, not the players. Nothing. Dwight wants to win a championship. He's a marquee talent and he knows it. He wants to win it all. He wants the best shot at doing that. There is no way he looks at us and says, "Wow...these guys will do whatever it takes to win." You can't spin it. We may be that franchise in the future, but to date...we can't even be mentioned in the same conversations as some organizations when it comes to championship pursuits.

This would be a great time for new owners or a new guy to take over ASG with a new GM (championship GM) to show up and show people how it's done.

It'd be really good for Ted Turner to stroll in on his white Horse with Mike Fratello and Hubie Brown by his side.

I have a best friend and I asked him the other was the current place he is living in his last move and he told me he is headed wherever the money takes him. I imagine if I could find him a job here that pays more money than what he is currently getting he would move here other than that our friendship has nothing to do with where we stay or work.

I just get the feeling that Dwight wants to go for a stage that is bigger than the one in Atlanta and obviously where he feels he'd have the best chance at getting a ring, and that's why I just can't escape the feeling that he is going to end up in royal purple and gold out there in LaLaLand.

Who knows though? Only Dwight knows what's most important to him and what he wants to do.

Having Josh Smith does not guarantee in any way that Dwight Howard will join the Hawks. But it creates a possibility that he will. If we didn;t have Josh, there would be no chance of D12 coming to the Hawks,

Exactly. This would be the role-playing equivalent of that, with the Hawks being Lloyd Christmas and the sexy girl being Dwight.

Hey, even a remote chance is better than none at all, which puts us in better shape than all but a very few teams.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Unless the Hawks become legit title contenders and have the flexibility to make a play for Howard, he won't be considering the Hawks. I really don't think his friendship with Josh is a factor at all. I think Dwight's focus and priority is winning a title and getting paid well to do so. If Atlanta isn't in a position to give him those things, then he won't consider playing for the Hawks, Josh or no Josh. It's all about the business at this point.

This is Dwight Howard we're talking about folks. To get him, we'd have to trade Horford AND Smith. Or at the very minimum, one Horford/Smith + Teague. And even that isn't enough.

There would be teams throwing out everybody to get Dwight. Gotta come better than a Horford + a filler trade, to get Dwight.

• Admin

I think Howard coming here would have nothing to do with Smith.

I would love for us to get him but we would have to take back Areanas horrible contract and there is no way we can afford that. Plus other then Horford who would they want?

Best friends since Preschool.

Talk everyday in some way.

Dreamed about playing together in the NBA.

There's a lot of talk about Howard's eventual FAcy.

He has said that he wants to stay in Orlando but he will be a free agent.

Makes me wonder.... Can Smoove's friendship and the future of our team make Howard consider forcing Orlando to send him to us?

Howard says that he wants to win a championship.

Us beating them in the first round had to make him think that Orlando might not have the horses to do that.

Especially with the big three in Miami.

However, as 2012 approaches, if we play our cards right, we should be one of the better teams in the East.

The addition to Howard to Smoove and JJ (because I don't think we trade JJ) would give us our own big three.

Not to mention, we're all waiting to see what Teague will be. I guess if Teague is the same guy he was against Miami with better defense, D12 has to consider us as contenders.

Although I voted no, let me explain my answer.

Your question really is a 2 part question. The first question is: Is Dwight's relationship with Josh (and belief in Josh as a player + the home town angle) enough to have Dwight pass up other opportunities to play in Atlanta. That answer is an undeniable yes. Dwight hasn't had a front court player of Josh's talent to play along side with yet. The last time I would say a 4/5 combo better than that combo played together would have been Duncan/Robinson. Additionally, if you could find a way to do this without trading Al (ie by giving up Joe) a 3/4/5 of Smith/Horford/Horward would be nightmarish. All 3 players can post up their man at that position, 2 can shoot over their man (given Smoove continues to improve and Horford continues to be himself). None of those 3 players has the same game and therefore would compliment each other in a most obnoxiously fabulous fashion. Additionally, unlike Miami where all 3 stars like the ball on the same side of the floor and close to the same spots, Josh prefers the right, Howard the left, Horf the elbows. It's a floor spacing nightmare for teams. You can't double Howard because of Horf and Smith's ability to catch and finish and you can't double either Smith or Horford because then Dwight will own the board...boxing out Dwight is a team effort and you can't really stop Horf or Smith within 10 feet when moving without a front. Of course Howard would give up other options to play here.

The second question is: would Orlando under any circumstance (including a Dwight boycott) trade him interdivision. This is an undeniable "no". You could trade Orlando Joe, JT, Marvin, and three future firsts while taking back Arenas' horrendous contract and I believe Orlando would still say no. There are things about a Dwight/Smith pairing that are nightmarish far beyond the Wade/Bosh/Lebron pairing.

Defensively you can have a shot blocker on both sides of the rim allowing your guards to play crazy, upfront defense. Both players are flushers of bad shots which actually helps at the defensive end by reducing opposing fast break opportunities. they've played together before and the learning curve is low. Putting them together with any other B level player that can stretch the defense would = a dynasty type of base.

Simplifying....Could Josh make Dwight come, Yes....Could Josh make Orlando have to trade him to us, no. Orlando knows we can't just sign him because of our Joe/Horford/Williams/Hinrich contracts. They don't have to do anything. Now all that said,

Dwight/Pachulia

Horford/Armstrong

Smith/Wilkens

Hinrich

Teague

Is a scary team defensively, far better than the Bulls top tier defensive team of this year.

Financially speaking...a team makeup like that is approximately 60 million in Salary...8 players and 12 million to spend on 4-6 more before hitting the Luxury tax. Yes, that is the making of a championship roster for sure.

• Premium Member

I have a best friend and I asked him the other was the current place he is living in his last move and he told me he is headed wherever the money takes him. I imagine if I could find him a job here that pays more money than what he is currently getting he would move here other than that our friendship has nothing to do with where we stay or work.

Howard is on record as saying that he wants to play for a championship team. That's why he has already turned down the most money he can get (before the CBA). We're not the lunch meat that many of you make us out to be. We're not bad. Smoove knows the interworkings of this team so Dwight can hear it from Smoove about just how much desire there is to win a championship in Atlanta.

I believe that if Dwight comes, he could basically call his shot. If he says, I will come but you have to trade ____________... I believe Atlanta will listen and do.

• Premium Member

Can Josh even talk to him about it wo running into problems with tampering?

Players can't be accused of tampering.

Remember the summit last year...

Amare, Joe, Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and Melo...

Although I voted no, let me explain my answer.

It's a foregone conclusion, that if we trade for Horf, it won't be Joe going. Horf is going to be going for several reasons. First Youth. Second, position replacement. Third, Latino connections. Fourth 2 time allstar. Joe has a pretty resume but he's virtually a Hawk for life. Orlando will not give up a young Dwight for an older Joe. They give up Dwight, they are in a semi rebuild mode.

not unless josh is paying howard's salary, because there is no way orlando trades him within the division, and the ownership won't be able to sign him outright without some serious salary dumping between now and the end of next season.

Players can't be accused of tampering.

Remember the summit last year...

Amare, Joe, Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and Melo...

It's a foregone conclusion, that if we trade for Horf, it won't be Joe going. Horf is going to be going for several reasons. First Youth. Second, position replacement. Third, Latino connections. Fourth 2 time allstar. Joe has a pretty resume but he's virtually a Hawk for life. Orlando will not give up a young Dwight for an older Joe. They give up Dwight, they are in a semi rebuild mode.

I often forget that Horf is technically a latino connection player. That I will grant you but that makes him more of Houston/Miami/LA type of player.

As far as the Joe thing goes, you are right but I was speaking "over the top" so to speak. Showing that you could give them tons of value and take away a headache and they still would not trade him inside the division. Even more importantly, they would be less inclined to trade him for Horford because you really can't leave Josh/Howard and JJ on the same team. I would submit that Howard/Josh/JJ, trumps Lebron/Wade/Bosh because rebounding and defense wins championships. Even more so, having Dwight playing the middle makes Jeff Teague a 10 assist a game guy. You can't front Teague on drives to the lane because he'll just dump it to Howard when you double off.....Having a 3 point threat, other offensive option in Joe would make Dwight nearly unstoppable. I just can't see Orlando handing us 60 win seasons like that.