• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New skin is awesome!

Supporter

Hmm, maybe it's just my comp's colors but Kirkland seems as though he's reprising Patrick Swayze's role in Ghost.

psghost.jpg

I don't mean to insinuate any lack of appreciation on my part but I simply don't like the new skin. It's not easy on the eyes. It seems way too bright and lacks contrast.

• Premium Member

Great job, Dolfan. I approve even though it does wipe out my ability to brag about having the Squawk's best rep score :rolleyes:

But seriously, I think the ability to -1 posts was on the whole a bad thing for the forum. Too often the rep score system seemed to be "I agree with you" or "I disagree with you" rather than "I think this adds to the discussion."

And, more importantly, the new skin looks just awesome.

Great job, Dolfan. I approve even though it does wipe out my ability to brag about having the Squawk's best rep score rolleyes.gif

But seriously, I think the ability to -1 posts was on the whole a bad thing for the forum. Too often the rep score system seemed to be "I agree with you" or "I disagree with you" rather than "I think this adds to the discussion."

And, more importantly, the new skin looks just awesome.

Thanks Nire!

Regarding the rep score I think that Invision also agreed with the negative rep thing and decided to go with a Facebook style "like" feature. Your rep score isn't wiped out though, you should still have your score and I believe the way this works is when someone "likes" your post it adds a point to your score so from now on you can only go up and cannot go down in score.

For those of you that like it I am very happy to hear that! ... and for those that think it's too bright I may consider working on a darker version that is similar to our previous skin. Please do keep in mind that developing a "skin" like this is very time consuming as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I like things to exactly line up where possible and I work hard to try and make the colors compliment each other.

In addition to the skin there are a vast number of other upgrades such as immediate updates when you post without refreshing the page, a new and upgraded visual text editor, preview the 1st, last and 1st unread post of each topic right from the topic list.

Keep the feedback coming so that I know what you all like and don't like.

--------

Here is an overview of the new/improved features as defined by Invision.

Calendar Improvements

New Text Editor

Core Functionality

Although I haven't had much time to tinker or look at the new version outside of my iPhone I've noticed that mine and others avatar pics have been wiped out. Will this be a case where I'd have to load a pic from my comp rather than just being able to link from a site?

Although I haven't had much time to tinker or look at the new version outside of my iPhone I've noticed that mine and others avatar pics have been wiped out. Will this be a case where I'd have to load a pic from my comp rather than just being able to link from a site?

Invision decided to get rid of the "photo and avatar" setting that they added with the 3.x release which allowed people to have an avatar and a photo and was almost never used here. With this new version they've combined them and it went through the database and had to re-size avatars and it seems as though some may not have worked correctly so you might need to re-upload your avatar or re-link to an external avatar, which I will check on but I'm pretty sure is still allowed.

Edit - WOW I'm shocked that they removed the ability to have externally hosted images. It appears that they removed it because that was a way where hackers were able to break into your site. There is an add-on that I can buy to add that functionality back so I will probably go ahead and get that added for you all that like to use external avatars. You might have to re-add them though as I'm not sure that your old link will still be there. Sorry for the trouble with this.

Very nice!

It's so bright and fluffeh! It's like....I died and went to Hawksquawk heaven.... (Ohhhh-ahhhhhhhhh!!!)

Glad that you guys like it!

Oh and here is something SUPER COOL that we will all like. Have you ever been typing a post and had your browser crash or you accidentally leave the page where you are typing? Well now the new site has an "autosave" feature on all posts, which happens after a couple of minutes when you start a new reply. I haven't tested it yet to see exactly how long it waits to autosave or how often it updates it but will let you all know when I find that setting.

Ok this issue is now fixed with the add-on that I bought. PLUS there is the ability to use your XBox Avatar now as well!

Go here to update your "photo" as they're calling it now.