• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Media Hates Atlanta.

Diesel

yea basically no1 is interested in this team not even atlanta. hawks have not cracked top 20 in attendance in forever even when we were an up and coming team. If you looked at the attendence list you would swear that we are a losing team.

no1 interested in the team = low ratings = no media coverage

Edited by yungsta

The Hawks lack an exciting player. Even Charles Barkley said it, they are kinda boring to watch, only kinda since Teague makes the team more fun to watch.

As someone who is a sports junkie, you have to keep ESPN on for basic information. But I have long given up on my hometown teams getting burn due to the clear and gross East Coast bias and ratings-driven coverage. It is what it is. What do you expect from a network who follows pointless Twitter comments and make Tim Tebow and Skip Bayless into cultural phenomenons? ESPN simply isnt intelligent enough to spotlight a team who may not be sexy, but is in the top quarter of the league in both scoring and points allowed. Style trumps substance, sadly. As detailed as their NBA webpage is with dozens of opinions on league happenings, we still get little to no mention. Their journalistic integrity and fairness in coverage has long fell off the cliff in favor of pleasing pop culture for ratings and money.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

ESPN can only do so much. They could put every Hawks game on national television, but their ratings would plummet and nobody else would gain much from it. The team has to be intriguing. Whether they're consistent winners, which the Hawks aren't, or they're entertaining in other ways, which the Hawks aren't. I love the Hawks as much as anyone else, but people have to be realistic. Their own city hardly supports them, why should anyone else?

I disagree. The media coverage makes the team. Explain OKC? Their national ratings suck too. Why? is it because they are not exciting? Is it because they are not a good team?

Our team just isn't sexy, as much as I hate to use that word when talking about men. The casual sports fan latches on to gaudy stats no matter the market of the city. We don't have a 20 rebound guy (Love) or a 15 assist guy (Rubio) or a 40-50 point guy (Durant). Cleveland was the talk of the NBA for 7 years. Now, if you thought of every NBA team off the top of your head, Cleveland will probably be the last one you name. It's sad when individuals drive the coverage of team sports, but it's life.

Edited by benhillboy

Hahahahahahahahahha, you think the media hates this team? Try being a ravens fan.

No one hates the Ravens....their just teams they like better. No one like the Hawks. You should try being a Atlanta sports fan.

2 things drive media coverage:

1- market size and interest

2- superstars (especially the ones with the big endorsement deals that also buy ads on ESPN).

Atlanta has neither.

And it is not just ESPN, or anything like that.

I listen to both 680 and 790 on my way to work and back. I can't remember the last time either mentioned the hawks, even though they are the only Atlanta team playing.

Hell, Atlanta is 22nd in attendance this year.

No one hates the Ravens....their just teams they like better. No one like the Hawks. You should try being a Atlanta sports fan.

Im from baltimore, then moved to atlanta. So i cheer for for ravens, braves, orioles, and hawks.

Non of them have it easy with the media

• Moderators

Im from baltimore, then moved to atlanta. So i cheer for for ravens, braves, orioles, and hawks.

Non of them have it easy with the media

I don't know much about the ravens. Having a guy who should have gone to prison as your star player I guess hurts your image. It did seem like some announcers (former players) were pulling for them this year because they have an older team who's chances are waning. I don't know if that's right but it seemed to be what they were saying.

Edited by macdaddy

No....having ray Lewis is the one thing that does get them attention. Rather u like the ravens or loathe them u really have no choice but to respect a man like ray on the field....I just wish the falcons had a guy like that running around for us