• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe's Beastly March.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Usually, Joe doesn't get much love here, but I'm going to throw some love and watch the trolls go in.For March, Joe was 7th among guards (PGs and SG) in FGMIn that 7, Joe was 3rd in FG%...behind1. Westbrook2. Wade3. Johnson.Furthermore, when you consider 3 pters made in those three.1. Joe = 40 Made 3s.2. Westbrook = 23 Made 3s.3. Wade = 12 Made 3s.conclusion... Joe was a beast in March.

• Like 2

Guest Walter

My questions would be WHY was he so much better in March than for the last year and a half (at least it would seem so over that time span) and can we expect that JJ will play at this level in the future (not whether he will justify his contract, which I think is not possible)? W

• Moderators

My questions would be WHY was he so much better in March than for the last year and a half (at least it would seem so over that time span) and can we expect that JJ will play at this level in the future (not whether he will justify his contract, which I think is not possible)? W

I'll answer that. Two reasons:1. healthy2. Josh SmithWith Josh finally being an inside threat on the offensive end it has created opportunities to Joe on the perimeter that are easier than they were when all teams had to do was guard the perimeter on us.
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I have some answers.1. Joe was finally healthy. He is an ironman, and he usually plays hurt.2. Have to... No Horf, Joe has to step up.3. Zaza/Josh. Zaza/Josh is a better inside combination than Horf/Josh. Note... how I say this before you get your flames. Horf is a high Post C. Zaza is a garbage C who spend 100% of his time in the low post. Like it or not, Zaza leads to more opportunities inside than Horf does. Even if it's off the rebound. Teams have to give room to Joe on the outside to keep Zaza from scoring on the inside. PLUS Josh now drives and tries his sweeping hook shot. It leads me to say that we need a Center who can score from inside (D12, Kaman or Lopez). I don't know if we can fix the rift with Smith but if so, I would aim at improving and getting a good Center in the process.4. Finally Practice. I noted that Joe practiced with Durant. Like I tell me son, the people you hang with says a lot about you. In the NBA, if you practice with Durant, Wade, etc, it's better than Practicing with somebody that can't play on that level. I honestly think that Pippen got a whole lot better because he practiced with Jordan. Joe and Durant are a good combination.

I'll answer that. Two reasons:1. healthy2. Josh SmithWith Josh finally being an inside threat on the offensive end it has created opportunities to Joe on the perimeter that are easier than they were when all teams had to do was guard the perimeter on us.

# 2 is the main cog to me. I believe the Southern term is snake throwing. You have Josh who with his athleticism and usage pulling the defense to him. It makes Joe seem like the lesser threat. But, Joe going for 23 on 16 shots kills you.

Yeah, his March got his season numbers to respectable. He got hot from three. .385 from behind the arc and .862 from the line are the only impressive numbers in terms of his usual career marks. .444 from the field is not lighting it up and assists and rebounds considerably below career averages. I enjoyed the run and the winning no doubt, but let's not get carried away over someone who's 6'7 240 and shoots only 12% of his shots from close with over half assisted and 10% blocked. I always contend that his awful ineptness inside prevents him from being this "superstar" that you all want him to be. Good teams simply won't allow him to roam free in transition and be guarded by smaller players like the ones he handled. I was excited about his winning play as much as anyone, but every now and then I have to point out how awful he is at getting to the line (4.2 attempts per 48 minutes is atrocious), penetrating, and finishing, which is the foundation of every max player's game, especially when their jumper isn't falling.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

Yeah, his March got his season numbers to respectable. He got hot from three. .385 from behind the arc and .862 from the line are the only impressive numbers in terms of his usual career marks. .444 from the field is not lighting it up and assists and rebounds considerably below career averages. I enjoyed the run and the winning no doubt, but let's not get carried away over someone who's 6'7 240 and shoots only 12% of his shots from close with over half assisted and 10% blocked. I always contend that his awful ineptness inside prevents him from being this "superstar" that you all want him to be. Good teams simply won't allow him to roam free in transition and be guarded by smaller players like the ones he handled. I was excited about his winning play as much as anyone, but every now and then I have to point out how awful he is at getting to the line (4.2 attempts per 48 minutes is atrocious), penetrating, and finishing, which is the foundation of every max player's game, especially when their jumper isn't falling.

Joe's March numbers...From 3 = 47.6%From 2 = 49.4%From FT = 83.3%An the fact that he hit 40 3 pters... I suggest that if you were to put that up against Any superstar in March and it's still impressive.

• Premium Member

Joe has a hot stretch every year. I want to see him do it when it counts.

Do it when it counts?

OK.

Joe's playoffs last year..

Orlando.

18 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.5 apg, 40% shooting.

Not great but not bad.

Chicago.

19.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.2 apg, 48.9% shooting.

Would that be when "it counted"?

If you want to see Joe do it when it counts, give him a PG and a low post threat.

• Like 2

Do it when it counts?

OK.

Joe's playoffs last year..

Orlando.

18 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.5 apg, 40% shooting.

Not great but not bad.

Chicago.

19.7 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.2 apg, 48.9% shooting.

Would that be when "it counted"?

If you want to see Joe do it when it counts, give him a PG and a low post threat.

Against Chicago, he had that one really good game, I believe the first or second in the series, which made his average for the entire series a bit inflated, which still was only 19.7 ppg. If you want to defend Joe, that's your right as a fan. But the fact is he hasn't carried this team like a true superstar making superstar money is expected to. And please don't go back to the pay versus his importance to this team argument. Edited by Eddielives

• Premium Member

too bad championships aren't' won in March. Wake me when it matters. I'm all for positively but these regular season titles have grown redundant.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Against Chicago, he had that one really good game, I believe the first or second in the series, which made his average for the entire series a bit inflated, which still was only 19.7 ppg. If you want to defend Joe, that's your right as a fan. But the fact is he hasn't carried this team like a true superstar making superstar money is expected to. And please don't go back to the pay versus his importance to this team argument.

You got owned, admit it and stop hating. You little Joe Hater Club members b*tch and whine like five year old girls and when someone shows you hard data you STILL whine and b*tch. Get over it. Joe showed up in the playoffs like he does almost every year. Joe was not the reason we lost to Chicago. No superstar is carrying a team by himself in the playoffs and if you think that then you need to seriously rethink your expectations.
  • Like 1

You got owned, admit it and stop hating. You little Joe Hater Club members b*tch and whine like five year old girls and when someone shows you hard data you STILL whine and b*tch. Get over it. Joe showed up in the playoffs like he does almost every year. Joe was not the reason we lost to Chicago. No superstar is carrying a team by himself in the playoffs and if you think that then you need to seriously rethink your expectations.

I'm acting like a five year old? You respond with the childish "hater" meme and say I'm in a Joe Hater Club and resort to an expletive to get your point across? When you want to carry on an adult conversation, you can reach me there. Grow up little boy.

Who on this team (besides joe) has ever willed this team to a playoff win the way Joe has several times?It was mentioned that joe's game 1 in chicago was a big game that skewed his numbers for the series, but guess what!? He had a monster game 1 to start our 2nd round series and give us the lead. Why is that meaningless and how is that not performing when it matters/counts??

• Premium Member

I'm acting like a five year old? You respond with the childish "hater" meme and say I'm in a Joe Hater Club and resort to an expletive to get your point across? When you want to carry on an adult conversation, you can reach me there. Grow up little boy.

I did not refer to you with an expletive. Reread the post. You are in fact in the Joe Hater Club. As I said before you ignore cold, hard facts and substitute your own reality to justify your hate. That, my friend, is what a "hater" is.

Who on this team (besides joe) has ever willed this team to a playoff win the way Joe has several times?It was mentioned that joe's game 1 in chicago was a big game that skewed his numbers for the series, but guess what!? He had a monster game 1 to start our 2nd round series and give us the lead. Why is that meaningless and how is that not performing when it matters/counts??

All the playoff games matter/count. Jamaal Crawford failed Joe and the Hawks. He had a terrible series against Chicago. Other than that it was typical Hawks inconsistency. AL had more bad games than good in that series. Joe averaged 29 in the wins and 15 in the loses. Josh was up and down too. Got out-coached too!