• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you could, would trade JJ for a lottery pick?

thecampster

Only way this would happen is like what they do in MLB sometimes. We would have to pay 50% or more of JJ's salary for them to accept the trade and that 50% would count against our salary cap.

• Premium Member

What makes a team attractive is personal marketability....very little else. New York, Chicago, LA are major markets for self marketing. Don't be naive. Personal salary is less than what a player can make from endorsements, name recognition. This is what was so savvy about what the big 3 did in Miami. 20 million person state. Huge media blitz to cover it. Always the villain wherever they go. Huge endorsements. This is why they took just a bit less to sign there. This is also why Joe left Phoenix to come to Atlanta. The "star" gets more attention than the role player. This is also why Al wants a true center and a point guard to build around himself and why Josh keeps shooting. Be the star, build a personal brand. These guys have a very short window to accomplish that. The only reason it's about winning championships is because winning builds a brand.http://branddunk.com...e-lebron-james/This was his endorsements vale at 23 -- $28 million.

If that were true, Lebron would be in NY not Miami. NY did everything they could go get Lebron... even made space for another big name player like Wade. At the end of the day, Lebron chose Miami. That's wasn't the choice that would have gotten him the best of everything... However, he trusted Riles to do what was right over the people in NY...If Personal Marketibility were the truth, Shaq would have never left LAL or Miami. Personal Marketibility is not what sent Ray Allen to Boston. Neither did it send KG there. Basketball players don't think Marketing first. It does come up, but it's not first. I think what comes up first is an abstract thought called happiness.Happiness is what is driving Josh to not sign an extension with us. When he tests the market, no good team will give him the max or more than we can offer but it's because he is unhappy with how he has been treated.What makes a player happy most of the time is a team that treats him well.Joe could have gone to NY and been the man but he wanted to be here (the first time).

• Premium Member

We dont expect that at all, we just want his contract gone, because this team cant even improve at all because of that contract, besides Joe is a wonderful player but his contract sinks

Even with Joe's contract gone, you're not going to be able to do much for 2 yrs. That's the reality. Joe's contract was a "Force". If you want to blame somehthing, blame Marvin's contract. The fix won't come until his contract is off the books... Then there's the hard task of getting somebody who wants to be here. Here's the truth.... IF you can get rid of Marvin and Joe's contract and have enough to go after one of these star players... THEY WILL STILL MAKE US OVERPAY ....And you can spend the next 5 yrs griping about how that player is not worth their contract.

What makes a team attractive is personal marketability....very little else. New York, Chicago, LA are major markets for self marketing. Don't be naive. Personal salary is less than what a player can make from endorsements, name recognition. This is what was so savvy about what the big 3 did in Miami. 20 million person state. Huge media blitz to cover it. Always the villain wherever they go. Huge endorsements. This is why they took just a bit less to sign there. This is also why Joe left Phoenix to come to Atlanta. The "star" gets more attention than the role player. This is also why Al wants a true center and a point guard to build around himself and why Josh keeps shooting. Be the star, build a personal brand. These guys have a very short window to accomplish that. The only reason it's about winning championships is because winning builds a brand.http://branddunk.com...e-lebron-james/This was his endorsements vale at 23 -- $28 million.

NY and Chicago were much better places to go for endorsements than Miami. LA had no cap for the big three so they were not a player and even though they could have made a deal snt, Bron, Bosh, nor Wade made a play their way.The hoopla was great but they also thought guaranteed title if they could play together. I bet if Bron does not get his title soon, he will be wishing he would have went to NY. But then again with the way he plays in the 4th quarter, his psyche may not have been able to deal with the NY press...

What yall are leaving out is winning. LeBrons brand is already established. He stated the reason he didnt go to NY is because he didn't believe in Dantoni. However, Stoudemire went to NY for the reasons campster mentioned. You could probably say the same about Carmelo.

That's the problem nineoh.you're too busy playing SIMS Basketball GM that you don't know what the #1 goal is. The #1 Goal is to win a championship. The Amnesty has a purpose. However, while Joe is still producing on an allstar level, we need to try to field a team that can win a championship. You're like the Nets trading Kidd for Harris because they wanted to be younger and free of Kidds contract. Well, Kidd got a ring. NJ got crap.

Great analogy with the Kidd for Devin Harris deal.

Well, Joe isn't a great SG, so we don't have to worry about that. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Joe is probably the least athletic, least explosive SG in league. Not only that, but he's also a ball stopper and takes about 20 seconds to make a decision, which usually leads to a Josh Smith jumpshot. No, we can find better than Joe Johnson.

That's what the New Jersey Nets thought when they just gave away Vince Carter. They still haven't found a 2-guard that was even half of a declining Vince.2 years ago, people thought John Salmons could be the guy to replace JJ. Look where Salmons is now?So who you gonna bring to ATL? Jamal Crawford? lol.

I disagree. Acquiring Harris put them in a position to get Williams. Now with money to spend and a few solid players on the roster, they are in a great position to buy themselves back into contention.

I disagree. Acquiring Harris put them in a position to get Williams. Now with money to spend and a few solid players on the roster, they are in a great position to buy themselves back into contention.

You mean aquiring Harris made then forever a lottery team. Guess that is what you think is a good deal!

You mean aquiring Harris made then forever a lottery team. Guess that is what you think is a good deal!

Forever a lottery team ? I guess if they manage to get Howard and trade Lopez, they'll forever be a lottery team, huh ? What that trade did is give them the flexibility to be a championship quality team. They have enough money and current talent to attract FAs and be right back in the playoffs.

Forever a lottery team ? I guess if they manage to get Howard and trade Lopez, they'll forever be a lottery team, huh ? What that trade did is give them the flexibility to be a championship quality team. They have enough money and current talent to attract FAs and be right back in the playoffs.

That was four years ago going on five and they do not have Howard yet. Nor did they do it to get Howard or Deron. They did it thinking Devin would be better than a aging Kidd and they were dead wrong. Get your facts right.They have been in the lottery for a while and I can guarantee you that was not the plan when they moved Kidd for Harris lmao

That was four years ago going on five and they do not have Howard yet. Nor did they do it to get Howard or Deron. They did it thinking Devin would be better than a aging Kidd and they were dead wrong. Get your facts right.They have been in the lottery for a while and I can guarantee you that was not the plan when they moved Kidd for Harris lmao

Yeah because I definitely said that was their plan. It wasn't their plan, but acquiring that young talent put them in a much better position going forward than we are in. There were several rumors that the Howard for Lopez deal was going to go through, but Lopez was hurt.

Yeah because I definitely said that was their plan. It wasn't their plan, but acquiring that young talent put them in a much better position going forward than we are in. There were several rumors that the Howard for Lopez deal was going to go through, but Lopez was hurt.

I read the same rumors about Lopez. Also about Bynum, Gasol, and Scola to name a few of others. Howard is way to fickle for just about any GM to trade for him. Never know what he will say or do anymore. Edited by Buzzard

Nah EasyI would guarantee that most Nets fans would trade places with us. We may have a bad salary situation, but at least we're winning games and somewhat relevant in the NBA. The Nets, on the other hand, have only won 58 games in 3 seasons since Vince Carter left. Their fortunes could've changed had they been able to win the #1 pick and choose Anthony Davis . . AND . . possibly add Dwight Howard. Now you're talking about an insane frontline of Howard and Davis, with a mastermind PG like Deron feeding them both the ball.Instead, Brooklyn won't even have a 1st round pick ( because they traded that pick to Portland in the Gerald Wallace trade, and didn't land in the top 3 of the lottery ). And they may even miss out on Dwight Howard, depending on if Orland does the smart thing, and trade him before the trade deadline. And if they miss out on Dwight, Deron may definitely be gone even before they can go after Dwight. And now the rumor is if Nash leaves Phoenix, the Suns will go aggressively after Deronhttp://www.nydailyne...ksEnabled=falseIf Deron leaves, Brooklyn could be worst than Charlotte last year, and would have to grossly overpay for mediocre players just for them to come or stay there. Because of league payroll minimum rules, a guy like Kris Humphries may get grossly overpaid to stay in Brooklyn, just to meet the minimum payroll requirements.Cap space is overrated, when people don't see your team as a desirable destination. What good is being 49 gazillion dollars under the cap, when no one wants to go to your squad? Edited by northcyde

Nah EasyI would guarantee that most Nets fans would trade places with us. We may have a bad salary situation, but at least we're winning games and somewhat relevant in the NBA. The Nets, on the other hand, have only won 58 games in 3 seasons since Vince Carter left. Their fortunes could've changed had they been able to win the #1 pick and choose Anthony Davis . . AND . . possibly add Dwight Howard. Now you're talking about an insane frontline of Howard and Davis, with a mastermind PG like Deron feeding them both the ball.Instead, Brooklyn won't even have a 1st round pick ( because they traded that pick in the Gerald Wallace trade, and didn't land in the top 3 of the lottery ). And they may even miss out on Dwight Howard, depending on if Orland does the smart thing, and trade him before the trade deadline. And if they miss out on Dwight, Deron may definitely be gone even before they can go after Dwight. And now the rumor is if Nash leaves Phoenix, the Suns will go aggressively after Deronhttp://www.nydailyne...ksEnabled=falseIf Deron leaves, Brooklyn could be worst than Charlotte last year, and would have to grossly overpay for mediocre players just for them to come or stay there. Because of league payroll minimum rules, a guy like Kris Humphries may get grossly overpaid to stay in Brooklyn, just to meet the minimum payroll requirements.Cap space is overrated, when people don't see your team as a desirable destination. What good is being 49 gazillion dollars under the cap, when no one wants to go to your squad?

The Nets best bet is going to be take in a bad contract in order to get a player or pick. No one wants to go there. That Wallace trade was just dumb but it is the only way the Nets can get a signed decent player, he gets shipped there lmao

With a team like Brooklyn, their only hope is to do like we did with JJ. Throw a ton of money on an up and coming player who is going to be a free agent ( restricted or unrestricted ).James Harden would be my #1 target, and I would throw Max money at him. If the Hawks keep Josh and let him become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, he would be my #2 target. And I would throw Max money at him as well.But even that plan is a plan of "hope", because they'd have to hope that money and being "the man" are the major motivators for those guys, and not necessarily winning.

Wait, what? Did I seriously read a Jason Kidd/Devin Harris analogy as proof of something here? Kidd was about as instrumental to getting the Mavs to 1 Finals appearance as Devin was to getting them to 1 also.....they were cogs, not the final piece. The 3 first round knockouts, and 1 2nd round exit sort of confirm this in his 5 years in Dallas. Kidd was no more responsible for them winning that ring than Devin was for losing one to D Whistle. The fact that the Nets were 7 games under .500 with Kidd before the trade didn't really give them cause to hold onto him either seeing as they were *ahem* a lotto team.And want to add this nonsense that Vince meant a damn to them either? He was traded after they missed the playoffs 2 years in a row. Read: two straight lotto teams.They were right for moving those guys contracts because that was an expensive lotto team. They were well on their way to having a nice rebuild too but they got greedy trying to hit for the bleachers. You think it's any coincidence that the assets they gave up (Harris, Favors, Kanter) were instrumental to getting Utah back in the playoffs out West? And they still owe Utah a top 6 protected pick from Golden State.That's what the Hawks need, to have that small market mentality of building a team. An overpriced star team isn't getting it done, say sayonara. They turned Boozer into a TPE and got Jefferson for nothing then 2 years before Deron would be a problem that would hamper their trade options and was likely to walk they ship him out for a motherload.That's what the Hawks needed to do instead of playing the "ohhhhhh but we'd never make it back to the playoffs" card. Nope, they held onto Joe at all costs (literally) and are still debating holding onto Josh as his trade value diminishes and diminishes and his eyes get wider and wider for greener pastures.

Great analogy with the Kidd for Devin Harris deal.That's what the New Jersey Nets thought when they just gave away Vince Carter. They still haven't found a 2-guard that was even half of a declining Vince.2 years ago, people thought John Salmons could be the guy to replace JJ. Look where Salmons is now?So who you gonna bring to ATL? Jamal Crawford? lol.

First of all, Joe Johnson has never been even close to athletic as Vince Carter. Second: Joe Johnson is easy to guard. If his jumpshot is not falling, he's next to useless. Third: I believe that Charles Barkley said that a team with Joe Johnson as their most highly paid player is not going to go anywhere. He's absolutely right. As long as Joe Johnson is here with his team-killing contract, this team is going to be stuck in neutral. HE'S JUST NOT THAT GOOD!!!!! I don't understand why some of you guys are so blind to that FACT. In fact, I bet this team could lose Joe Johnson for an entire season, and not be much worse off. Joe is just not that much of a difference-maker. Joe Johnson would be a good 2nd option, and a very good 3rd option. As a 1st option, he's just decent. It's nothing personal against Joe Johnson. It's just common sense. You can clearly see with your own two eyes that Johnson is not an elite player. You can see that he's terrible with double-teams. You can see that he can't beat a double-team because he's too unathletic. You don't see him attacking the basket. You don't see him getting to the freethrow line. You don't see him posting guys up and getting easy baskets around the rim. Again, you can clearly see that Joe Johnson is not an elite player. Yet, he's getting paid as if he's one of the top-5 players in the league. That is not a formula for success. I don't know why you guys can't seem to grasp that simple concept.

• Premium Member

What yall are leaving out is winning. LeBrons brand is already established. He stated the reason he didnt go to NY is because he didn't believe in Dantoni. However, Stoudemire went to NY for the reasons campster mentioned. You could probably say the same about Carmelo.

I would say happiness in each of those cases. Melo went to NY because his wife pushed it. Stoudamire went for winning and marketing... overall happiness. These guys think legacy more than you may believe .. more than marketing.