• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you could, would trade JJ for a lottery pick?

thecampster

I've been saying it for a while, absolutely. Especially to a team like NOH or POR for one of their second picks. They wouldn't need to resign their top pick until JJ expires. Plus, this would allow them to get their rook in a winning mindset right away.

• Premium Member

In my haste, I'd probably trip over myself and break my neck signing the paperwork before I could actually complete the deal...but yes. Not because I dislike Joe, I have a lot of respect for him...more than most. But that deal is a no-brainer. You can be sure that the ASG would do it in a heartbeat too.

A lot of 4 could replace Smith without affecting the "success" of this team: Gasol, Stoudemire, ZBo, Griffin, Aldridge, Nowitzki, Love, Millsap etc.That's not the case for Joe. That's why he is a six time allstar.

Edited by CWebb

Yes b/c JJ's contract is an albatross. I would gladly roll the dice on a lottery pick with cap room in our near future.2012-13 - $19.75 mill / 31 year old2013-14 - $21.4 mill / 32 years old2014-15 - $23.1 mill / 33 years old2015-16 - $24.89 mill / 34 years oldThat being said.........I respect JJ's game greatly. He was very efficient last year for his position. I'd also love to see him have the chance to work and inside / out game with a post player like Gasol for 2 years before hitting the reset button. Just the thought of Hawks having 5 players on the court who play smart basketball together would be a refreshing change of pace.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

For ANY lottery pick?No.For a chance to get Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Terrance Ross?Maybe.I think both of those guys will be GONE by the 7th pick. So if someone offered us the #10 pick in the draft, I wouldn't do it. The thing about this draft is while it is deep, it's not deep with superstar type talent. This is in no way, shape, or form comparable to the 2003 draft. So the question is . . how long will it take some of these guys to develop into an All-Star level talent? I'd much rather trade JJ for an Eric Gordon or even a Tyreke Evans, than to trade him for one of these draft picks ( not named Anthony Davis ).Contrary to popular belief, JJ's contracts becomes MORE TRADEABLE as he approaches Year 5, not less likely to be traded. Guys with bad deals get traded all the time toward the end of their contract, because teams may be looking for cap relief. So JJ could be traded for 2, maybe even 3 players, if a team has given up and wants to sell off talent ( ala the Charlotte Bobcats when it got rid of Stephen Jackson and Gerald Wallace ).For the record, I don't know if I'd trade Josh Smith for one of these draft picks ( not named Anthony Davis ) either. We are still a playoff level team. And before we completely blow this thing up, I'd much rather switch out bits and pieces of "the core" to see if we can get a better mix here, than to go with a youth movement that may put us right back into the NBA Draft Lottery.If it's a top 3 pick, it would be extremely hard NOT to trade JJ for that. If it's the #11 pick, nah . . I'll pass. Remember, we took Acie Law at #11.

I would because of the cap relief. But I still think this team is broken as long as Josh is our starting Power Forward.Any SG and Josh on the same team makes for two volume scorers and all the missed shots is to hard to recover from. Blame JJ all you want but he is suppose to shoot .440 at his position. In fact that is very respectable. But getting that or less from your PF puts to much of a burden on everyone elses game.Toine never worked out in Boston for the same reason Josh cannot workout here in Atlanta, they both make for one shooting guard to many on the offensive end.

And this is the truth right here.I've been saying it for 2 months now on "the other Hawks blog". We can't have Josh Smith and Joe Johnson ( or insert young SG in place of Joe Johnson ) taking the same type of shots. It will constantly keep this team out of balance.Josh's mentality is more in line with Antoine Walker and Rasheed Wallace, than it is in line with Shawn Kemp or Blake Griffin. Until that changes, the team will be out of balance.

When I was reading about Rick Sund Q and A and Jeff Schultz piece and I was think that if they did trade J.J. then they will have to admit that giving that type of contract to JJ was crazy in the first place.For trade him for a lottery pick, right now I would say "Yes", I know that Toronto is thinking about trading that pick and added salary as well. That is a good start but sometimes we might have to make tough choices to improved this team. With Josh is almost out of the door and Joe contract starts is balloning as well. They might to get rid of both of them.

When I was reading about Rick Sund Q and A and Jeff Schultz piece and I was think that if they did trade J.J. then they will have to admit that giving that type of contract to JJ was crazy in the first place.

I don't see your logic. Look a tad deeper.By resiging JJ they could say we got 2 years of allstar production and a lottery pick......which is not too shabby. The 1st 2 years on JJ's contract were not bad...........its years 3-6 that are the cap killers.

HELL F@&K YEAH!!!!!I don't know the first thing about these younguns coming out, but I'm sure there are many who are athletic, energetic, and want to make a name for themselves beyond being a perrinial All-Star scrub. Anything to rid us of one of the worst contracts in NBA history, I'm with it.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

I don't see your logic. Look a tad deeper.By resiging JJ they could say we got 2 years of allstar production and a lottery pick......which is not too shabby. The 1st 2 years on JJ's contract were not bad...........its years 3-6 that are the cap killers.

Exactly. Making that deal would make it a no-brainer that they made the right move to extend him rather than let him walk.

Oh I see, I understand but still he needs to go!.

I would do it for a high pick and to get out of his contract. And everyone here knows I love me some Joe. But that contract is a franchise killer.

Whoa, this is a historic moment for this board. Glad to see you coming around. Now if we could get Diesel to admit this, we'd be getting somewhere.