• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

thanks Joe!

HawkItus

• Premium Member

Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. Despite what some people on this site think you were a great Hawk and you will be missed. Good luck in New Jersey and frankly I hope you win a ring there.

• Premium Member

Don't know how to embed.. but this:http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7WilelIItg..oh it does it automatically.Thanks Joe for one of my favorite hawk games of all time!

I'm happy about the direction we're taking, but not happy about seeing Joe go. Not gonna watch that video because it'll make me very sad. Thanks JJ. You gave us hope and you gave us GREAT memories.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks JJ2! Wish it could have been different... Wanted you to retire here, but we gotta get better to get to the ECF. He really was better than fans like to give him credit for... He made it easy for his teammates to play... Good luck in Brooklyn!

• Like 2

Guest Walter

I wonder if JJ would rather have sacrificed a few million to stay rather than go to NJ? Doubtful given he has to fill this...http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/everyone-look-at-joe-johnsons-giant-truck?urn=nba,wp5970(No Joe farewell is complete without this)Thanks Joe. You were tough, your play was great, your contract even more awful than your play was great, and with your contract we never had a chance of finding a batman to your robin or cat-woman. W

• Premium Member

Hindsight is 20/20 but was there no way for him to renegotiate or restructure his contract? Dang, I wonder if anybody thought of that. It happens in the NFL all the time. Can you restructure NBA contracts????

Agree. Joe Johnson was, and will always be one of my favorite Hawks players. His contract completely ruined his value. He was overpaid and never lived up to the money. From his perspective you cannot blame him for accepting that monster deal, the only people to blame are those that extended the offer to him. He was a great player that eventually got overpaid. He lead this team to the playoffs for several years. As much as I wanted him trade this is a bittersweet deal. I would have loved him to stayed and restructed his deal. However that was not possibly. When he returns to Atlanta I will give him a well-deserved standing ovation. Now that he is going I am a little upset. I know this trade is better for the future of the team. Lets go Hawks!Thanks for several great years Joe!

Edited by frankthetank966

Thanks for the good times and memory Joe! You will be missed but not your contract. I really appreciate you being one of the few free agents that actually wanted to come play for a lowly franchise such as the hawks. We will always remember that and love that about you along with everything you brought to the court every night.

This was a move that needed to be made to allow us to grow. Hope you can conclude you career properly in New Jersey. Its been swell JJ.

Toast

Posted Image

Joe you were one of my favorite hawks of all time. Appreciate all you did for this organization and I hope you tear it up in Brooklyn.

As the premier Joe hater, I wish him well. We were a defensive club first, and couldn't have been without his 6"7' frame patrolling the perimeter. Best floater this side of Tony Parker, never bitched to refs, logged crazy minutes under Woody because of his two-way ability, and had a shooting stroke made for beautiful 27 foot bombs. Body built by the basketball Gods. Never was a diva in the media and never publicly clashed with Josh, something that takes a human of extremely strong will and level-headedness. It'll be interesting to see how Marvin defends Joe if he's still here, cause if not, Josh can't off the ball nor can Hinrich on the ball. I'm sure if Joe ever read any if my posts, he'd want to strangle me dead, but instead would just brush it off and keep it moving, and I guess that's what I respect about him most. I pride myself in being a pretty cool cat, and I'll be goddamn if Joe wasn't as cool as the other side of the pillow. As I got older, I guess I learned to value his stoic demeanor on the court as a plus for him instead of a detraction from the team. Everyone cant be KG all the time, so I respect Joe for being himself. I'll never, ever be a fan of his game, but I know a little about basketball, and a guy giving you 20-5-5 for a prolonged period while being asked to guard the other team's best scorer at the 2 or 3 is a stud (can't believe I said that). I still contend that Al is the common denominator in our consecutive playoff run, but Joe damn sure is right there. Well wishes to you, buddy.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1