• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

• Premium Member

Maybe. I don't know. Somehow, I don't think Ferry's plan A, B or C is tanking. Not saying they shouldn't, just saying I don't think it's his plan. I have to say I'm somewhat suprised that Dwight wants to extend with a team whose key players are all over 30.

Yeah here's the rub with that: in two years all those old guys will be gone or retired. Kobe pretty much said he'll retired in two years, Gasol's deal ends in two years and I think Nash's deal is only guaranteed for two years. The Lakers probably win at least one title and they keep Dwight with gobs of cap space in two years to go rebuild by stealing other teams good players. The NBA continues to be the NBA. Ferry I hope has the smarts to see that if we don't get at least one superstar then we have to tank to try and get one. You either have a superstar in this league and have a chance of winning or you don't. It really is that simple. The NBA is not the NFL or MLB or NHL where a good team has a decent shot at winning a ring out of nowhere in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

Yeah here's the rub with that: in two years all those old guys will be gone or retired. Kobe pretty much said he'll retired in two years, Gasol's deal ends in two years and I think Nash's deal is only guaranteed for two years. The Lakers probably win at least one title and they keep Dwight with gobs of cap space in two years to go rebuild by stealing other teams good players. The NBA continues to be the NBA. Ferry I hope has the smarts to see that if we don't get at least one superstar then we have to tank to try and get one. You either have a superstar in this league and have a chance of winning or you don't. It really is that simple. The NBA is not the NFL or MLB or NHL where a good team has a decent shot at winning a ring out of nowhere in the playoffs.

I agree. Let's see how the Hawks react to this.

The Nets trade was just hours away according to reports yet I figured it was nothing more than a smokescreen. Just like that trade some important ?'s have to be asked with this one. The Lakers dont have many draft picks to trade. How many picks are the Cavs going to give for Bynum? Would Bynum sign an extension in Clevland when he is dealt? Does Clevland think EVEN A RESIGNED Bynum is worth several future draft picks and bad contracts taken on?

• Premium Member

The Nets trade was just hours away according to reports yet I figured it was nothing more than a smokescreen. Just like that trade some important ?'s have to be asked with this one. The Lakers dont have many draft picks to trade. How many picks are the Cavs going to give for Bynum? Would Bynum sign an extension in Clevland when he is dealt? Does Clevland think EVEN A RESIGNED Bynum is worth several future draft picks and bad contracts taken on?

Cleveland will be the one giving draft picks to Orlando, trading them Varejao and also eating some bad contracts from Orlando. All the Lakers give up is Bynum. Orlando gets cap relief and multiple picks. This trade works for all three teams. Cleveland is the only one really taking a risk because of Bynum but he said before he'd consider extending with Cleveland.

There is one thing that a lot of people are forgetting. Maybe there is another reason Orlando is not keen on the idea of sending Dwight to LA no matter what the deal is. Orlando has already been down this road in supplying LA an all world HOF center. Orlando had Shaq and he took them to the finals but they couldn't win. He goes to LA and gets them multiple titles. They have Dwight and he takes them to the finals but they don't win again. So now they just going to send him to LA and watch them play for tiltles for the next ten years. I know it's a business but it's a busines ran by people who can get just a sick as us at LA always getting what they want. I mean look at the list of centers they have had Mican, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Shaq, and now maybe Dwight. Compare that to other teams in the league and it seems unfair. At some point, I think teams will get tired of helping them and maybe Orlando is there right now especially since they have been here before. It is really up to them because if they don't trade him there, he won't be able to get there. I'm of the opinion that Orlando has a lot more leverage than people think because wherever they trade is the most likely place he resigns. I don't see him walking away from the money to go to a bad team with cap space. Every title contender I see won't have any room next year unless they can work out a trade.

• Like 1

Why would Orlando want varejau instead of Bynum?

Only thing I can guess is Varejau is a lot cheaper at 10 mill a season, he is locked up for two seasons with a TO on the 3rd, and he is productive, plus they get Cavs and Lakers picks. Bynum will require a max next season you can bet on it and no way they get good picks plus Bynum.

• Premium Member

why is it that every team in the NBA bends over backward for the Lakers? They had CP3now it looks like D12 is donestraight up BS unfair!Damn it's good to be the Kings

why is it that every team in the NBA bends over backward for the Lakers? They had CP3 now it looks like D12 is done straight up BS unfair! Damn it's good to be the Kings

The Lakers have Bynum, if we had Bynum they would bend over for us.

• Premium Member

Well obviously most want Dwight to come to Atlanta. He was at a Dodgers game the other nioght and they put on a great show for him, remember that Magic owns part of the Dodgers now. I have spent some time in Southern California and it is very nice out there. Atlanta has a bad rep of not getting behind their teams. I just think that NY and LA are the preffered destinations for elite athletes, they have so much to offer.I do agree that whomever Dwight is traded to he signs a long term deal unless it is Houston.Danny, maybe this is a smoke screen, maybe not. You better get to work even harder or have a hell of a backup plan.For the Record, I do NOT believe any elite free agents will sign with the Hawks in the offseason.

Edited by Vol4ever
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Question???? Why would the Lakers trade Bynum for Josh when they can get Howard?? That makes no sense at all.

Lakers could end up landing Nash, Jamison, Howard, and Josh Smith in a single offseason. That 's serious!

I totally agree that we will fall back to an afterthought if we try to use cap space as our way to improve. Unless you land a superstar, you usually pay more and get less than just improving through the draft which isn't any fun. Of course he wants LA and LA wants him, the majority of athletes feel that way but nobody would follow sports if everyone played in NY or LA. The proposal I have seen for Orlando in this deal is not very good. If I was them, I would hold onto him til next year and do a sign and trade at that time. He won't have any team options or abilty to get the money without their help. They have nothing to lose and these offers are not going to help their team.

Sources close to these talks in Las Vegas this week for Summer League explained that Orlando is really not looking for star level talent in return for Howard. As crazy as that may seem the Magic view most of what’s being offered and talked about as undesirable in their long-term vision for the team. That long-term vision includes building the team around the draft and free agency where the players on the roster fit the new culture and concepts being installed by GM Rob Hennigan. Sacrifice. Buy-in to something bigger than yourself. Team play. HoopsWorld

Ugh so I guess they will have no interest in horford. :(

Lakers could end up landing Nash, Jamison, Howard, and Josh Smith in a single offseason. That 's serious!

How do they get Josh if Bynum is used for Howard? Gasol will not work straight up and I bet the idea of Gasols outside game is appealing next to Howard.

Danny Ferry tried to bring Dwight home but "As the World Turns" his soap opera is now moving to where it belongs in Lakers. Hawks will have tons of cap space and really has options with Ibaka, Harden and Chris Paul all free agents next year.I'm actually still holding out hope that Teague will be something special in his second year starting and if that is the case - The Hawks could focus their attention on Ibaka and James Harden. These guys are great Team Players with star growth potential..Pg- Teague / Harris / Lou WilliamsSG- Harden / Jenkins / MorrowSF- Smoove / KorverPF- Horford / Ivan The Terrible / Mike ScottC- Ibaka / Zaza

Edited by wolvetigers

I was thinking about this issue this morning, and occuring to me that we got a good GM in Ferry that is willing to do whatever its takes to get a championship team in Atlanta.I finally realized that Dwight may not be the answer that this team is seeking. With him here, we could bring so much to this team from attendents to other stuff but then again if he did want to come here, then the team would been on his list to re-sign with in the first place. Atlanta has a better package than L.A., Houston and other places but he didnt want to be here.I had a chance to look over Spurs rosters from the last 5 - 10 years, and most of their years teams was made out of draft picks, using mid/low F/A and working with player development (D-League). You didnt see a Big F/A goes to this team and you dont see any of the FA leave from there either. I know that we need a superstar but sadly, one will never come here until they change the way this team is worked. I know that isnt the pouplar way to attract new fans and keep bring money to this team but then you can be the Lakers, who by next years time will be playing alot of money because of the new LT rules starts next year and if they dont win the championship, you can see the backlash there.I want D12 here but I am starting to think that we can do better by find another superstar or do the "Spurs" way.

Danny Ferry tried to bring Dwight home but "As the World Turns" his soap opera is now moving to where it belongs in Lakers. Hawks will have tons of cap space and really has options with Ibaka, Harden and Chris Paul all free agents next year.

I'm actually still holding out hope that Teague will be something special in his second year starting and if that is the case - The Hawks could focus their attention on Ibaka and James Harden. These guys are great Team Players with star growth potential..

Pg- Teague / Harris / Lou Williams

SG- Harden / Jenkins / Morrow

SF- Smoove / Korver

PF- Horford / Ivan The Terrible / Mike Scott

C- Ibaka / Zaza

Posted Image