• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sofoklis Schortsanitis is now a Hawk!... or at least his rights are.

Admin

I doubt the big boy will ever play for the hawks. If he was going to get brought over he would have by now. I'm guess Ferry just made this trade to get MLE. Boy i'd sure like to see how this Big Guy plays. 6'9 350. If he ever took a jump shot I'd shoot him. He should be able to back anybody down. I wish we would bring him over.

I recognized this guys name right away from the World Championships in 06. He gave the U.S. a lot of fits when we played and lost to Greece. This guy is an absolute tank. Would probably be one of the stongest guys in the NBA right off that bat. I wonder if this means the Hawks don't think they'll re-sign Ivan, and now they're looking for more muscle down low. I'd like to keep Ivan, he's a good energy/muscle guy. I think every good team needs an enforcer, someone who won't back down and isnt affraid to get in the other teams face and stick up for their teammates. Even if it's to bully the opposing teams players, kind of like Dennis Rodman or Anthony Mason, guys who are a little F'd in the head. Zaza does this a little bit.

• Moderators

This guy isn't going to play here. He just inked a three year deal to play in Greece. Ferry did this for the trade exception.

Yep. I do remember when the Greek Shaq was drafted. Hadn't heard much about him since, but this seems like a trade exception deal - which is still great for a FA we were losing either way.

• Moderators

Curious, is Alonzo Gee pretty much the only free agent SF Atlanta would likely use the trade exception for (assuming Holly's guesstimate of $1.65-$2.75 million is the proper range) in a sign-and-trade?If I'm reading the Larrycoonomics correctly, the exception can't be combined with other exceptions, so someone who demands a higher salary like Carlos Delfino or Matt Barnes couldn't be acquired with it.Alternative to a free agent arriving via S&T, the Hawks could use the exception to acquire a player currently under contract.~lw3

• Moderators

Out trolling for SFs under contract in that $1.65-2.75 million salary range. On the high end, how about Reggie Williams? $2.61 million expiring contract. Injured during the start of the season then struggled to regain his shot. He was supposed to be a key player for the Bobcats but will likely come off the bench behind Gerald Henderson and/or MKG. Maybe too slight for starting SF? (6'6", 205#)~lw3

SOFO is very talented and skilled player, who is very difficult to stop down low... It's unbelievable that he moves so well with that weight!However, as article states he already signed for Panathinaikos (Greek club) and I'm sure he isn't going to come to the NBA any time soon.P.S. I'd like to have him on our team (having seen him on so many occasions). He would be very useful in a back-up role, but he wouldn't last the NBA season... that's what everybody knows, including himself!

There are nuances to trade exceptions. Notably, the exception will need to be used this year. We will go "under" the cap next year and the exception will in essence, disappear.So what does this tell you? The Hawks gave up NO salary. They acquired about 2 million (depending on Willie's salary) in leeway on making a trade. So previously when you saw the Hawks projections of "assets" in going after Dwight, Bynum, others, we were only allowed to use 4 players under contract and 1 sign and trade player. This is one of the 'variables' I think mace was explaining to Dolfan about getting around the sign and trade rules. In this case, the Hawks are given a little less than a year to fill the void in the trade for Green essentially absorbing it into another deal. They can still sign and trade a player into that deal "or" trade one of our previously traded for players along with the exception.Examples: They could now trade Petro's 3.5 million, Green's 2ish million for a player worth 150% of that salary or about an 8.25 million dollar player. Or say parlay Harris 8.5 plus the 2 mil into a 15 million dollar player.This is highly creative on Ferry's part if this is why he did it. Using the Dwight scenario. We were previously required to send 12.8 million to Orlando to bring back Dwight and about 15 million for Dwight, Duhon. Horford/Teague wouldn't net that. But this "exception" if 2 million would up Atlanta's kitty to 16.5 million when packaged with Horford/Teague or 9.7 with Zaza / Teague, etc. Zaza/Teague/Horford is about19.7 in salary, bringing back roughly 29.5. But add in the "exemption and those 3 brings back 32.5 million in salary, or enough to bring back Dwight and Hedo. I'm just thinking out loud here but there is no reason for Ferry to do this unless he is expecting to use that exception. This was an excellent GM move and one BK/Sund would either not make or let the exemption expire.

He did if to stockpile assets and give us extra flexibility in case it's needed...not because he expects to use it to get d12...he knows it's a free asset so he went after it...he will try to use it I make the team better but it's not true that he would have not done it if he didn't "expect" to use itThere is definitely a reason to get it even if not expecting to use it