• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew is the new Mr. Perfect

willthepureshooter

Sorry Benhill but I couldn't resist...but anyway here is my response

1) I'll give you the injury bug but other teams like the Bulls, Pacers, Knicks etc are experiencing the same injury bug.

2) Josh is LD's creation. 3 years ago under Woodson, Josh took 5 three's the entire season! Know look at him

3) Home court disadvantage come from #2 and the inconsistency of this team..I mean getting blown out by Portland at home while in a playoff race???

4) Ownership has spent the money...have they spent as much as LA? No! But there are plenty of teams that haven't who are better than the Hawks like Denver, Memphis and Houston.

5) Houston had a major roster change, Chicago has had a major roster change, New Jersey has had a major roster change, Boston has had a major roster change. Many team have had major roster changes and some times it improved the team.

6) The only coach with Job security is Pop. Heck they were talking about firing Spostra during the 1st month of the season.

5) we are right there with those teams......so what are you saying? We are what we are.

• Premium Member

5) we are right there with those teams......so what are you saying? We are what we are.

Just refuting the claim by Benhill that LD is the only coach in the playoffs with obstacles and therefore shoud be revered because he alone has overcome these obstacles.

• Moderators

Most of the rotating lineups is caused by injuries. Previous years everyone freaked out because we never changed the starting lineup.

As far as having obstacles like other teams. I can't think of any other teams with zero all stars and only 2 players under contract beyond this season that are having as good a year as we are.

• Premium Member

Most of the rotating lineups is caused by injuries. Previous years everyone freaked out because we never changed the starting lineup.

As far as having obstacles like other teams. I can't think of any other teams with zero all stars and only 2 players under contract beyond this season that are having as good a year as we are.

let us not fool ourselves...Horford is an all star but I'll give it a crack. Denver had zero all stars and are playing better than us. And the 2 players under contract next year thing does not impact this year.

Edited by Peoriabird

• Moderators

For the record though, I'd love to see Drew get replaced. He just isn't the guy for the job. Our players do not match up with what he is trying to run. He is also too buddy buddy with the players to really be respected. His substitutions suck and I have never liked these coaches that just allow the players to free-wheel. I like coaches like Doug Collins, Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, and even Larry Brown because they all have schemes and are heavily involved in the game. Until their later years, those guys were never sitting on the bench and quiet. They were working the sidelines. I said it from the get go that our biggest FA pickup this summer will be a new HC, hopefully a big name too.

let us not fool ourselves...Horford is an all star but I'll give it a crack. Denver had zero all stars and are playing better than us. And the 2 players under contract next year thing does not impact this year.

Iguodala is an Olympian if not an All-Star. Denver is a good comparison though. With our full squad and the relative health they have enjoyed I think that is who we would be.

• Moderators

Doesn't impact this year????? The majority of our rotation players are guys mainly acquired because of their contract status not because they fit our vision or what we wanted to build. Denver can't say that. The lone Ferry long term acquisition, Lou, has been hurt most of the year.

Not taking anything away from Denver but they are 17-20 on the road. Still i really like their team.

I chuckled at this given the context of this thread.

Posted Image

BobRathbunTV Hawk starters delayed. Waiting onRudy Gay's status. @SportSouth

But then those talking about LD not forcing teams to adjust to his own lineup instead of matching up with theirs were the same ones complaining when we had the most consistent starting lineup in the entire league for about 3-4 years straight.

You guys bitch about Drew but the team is overachieving. I don't think LD is Phil Jackson but you're attacking him for a sorry team with an above average record. If you want to find fault with him look for his lack of reigning Josh Smith in. If Josh Smith followed directions he would be a top 20 NBA player.

You guys bitch about Drew but the team is overachieving. I don't think LD is Phil Jackson but you're attacking him for a sorry team with an above average record. If you want to find fault with him look for his lack of reigning Josh Smith in. If Josh Smith followed directions he would be a top 20 NBA player.

Pretty much how I feel. Other than keeping Josh in check he's decent. There are certainly worse coaches in the league. Of course, I'd like an upgrade if possible.

LD is solid, not great. He makes really poor roster/lineup changes that ill never understand. Then he will follow up with a brilliant play call from a timeout. Games like tonight make you wonder what his strategy is. There were a lot of players like Mack that got quality minutes. You've gotta wonder if he's playing Mack and Scott to see if they will be able to compete in the playoffs. Or if he is resting his other players.

Edited by frankthetank966

• Premium Member

I'm sorry Gsuteke...If LD were serious about teaching Josh Smith how to play power forward then evey time he started jacking up shots like he did in the 3rd las night, he would be pulled out of games like he does other players after far less crimes. LD is one of the biggest Josh Smith enablers simply because there are no consequences to his actions. Rather, there are more rewards like running plays for Smith when clearly his offense or lack there of is the reason that the Hawks' offense stalls on any giving night. This is why Drew must go.

185 three point attempts for Smith this year . . making 31%.

442 shots from 16 feet or further, representing 40.6% of his total shots . . . shooting 30% FG on those shots.

Smith STILL has a negative Offensive Win Score for the season ( - 0.6 )

In 3 years under Drew, Smith has attempted 448 threes in 212 games, making 30.4% of them

If he can't get Josh Smith to play the right way, he needs to go, no matter how much this team is "overachieving".

Edited by northcyde